X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow in Lithuania.

Precision landing competition.

Shadow in Lithuania.

Hi, great videos, what is the "pod" on top of the rear of the wing? ballistic parachute?

Trev

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Yes it is BRS Junkers 450kg.I have started to fly after reparation and modification and now have about 70 hours.Beautiful plane and I am very satisfied.
      Modification : 1.Aileron road modification(more light force on the stick).2.Brake pedals modification.2.Ceilings fitted under the passengers(to reduce noise).
      3.Plastic plate under propeller.4.After muffler and aluminum plates to the cooler.4.I have make slipper tank(not fitted).5.Unforced flaps road fitting(have been broken).And many another modifications.

Attached files

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Hi Juozas,
        Looks like you are having fun and have done some sensible mods on the plane. Its nice to see it still used in the competitions as that is what it was built for. I have actually flown it some time ago.
        In case you have missed it this is my lad in a CD doing a precision landing competition in the UK
        All the best
        Mick
        Mick Broom
        Member 909
        Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Good news! E type gearbox was fitted to Shadow. After test flight feeling like it is another plane:no vibration , at speed of 60 knots engine RPM are 4700.Before changing was 5000 RPM at 60 knots. It is happened because propeller was shifted back about 100 mm. After 1 h flight time I measured fuel consumption and have about 2 liters economy. It is reason to all Shadows to shift the propeller back about 100 mm. :burger:

Attached files

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Juozas Mitkus wrote:
            Good news! E type gearbox was fitted to Shadow. After test flight feeling like it is another plane:no vibration , at speed of 60 knots engine RPM are 4700.Before changing was 5000 RPM at 60 knots. It is happened because propeller was shifted back about 100 mm. After 1 h flight time I measured fuel consumption and have about 2 liters economy. It is reason to all Shadows to shift the propeller back about 100 mm. [IMG]/emoticons/burger.gif[/IMG]
            Congrats mate

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Hi Jouzas

Really interested in your findings with the E type gearbox, what ratio are you running ? and has it affected your take off distance

Cheers

Jaz

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Sorry Juozas

Just realised i spelt your name incorrectly

Jaz

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Gear ratio are 2,62. Engine has better performance and no vibration, because E type gearbox has rubber damper. Takeoff distance it is impossible measure correct. Variometer gauge now reading 900 f/min at 6500 engine RPM. Flaps 15 degree and no passenger. With B type gearbox and ratio 2,58 I has vario reading 800f/min at 6500 RPM.
                  It is reason to use E type gearbox

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Looks good Juozas !

Don't think you need the BRS in a Shadow though ? :-)

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

BRS are for passengers, then they asked (do you have the parachute ?) I am showing BRS. Anyway I have paid only 400 eur for used Magnum 450. Validation of the BRS are expired , but I will give to experienced parachute instructor to repack. Another reason to put BRS ,I like aerobatics and try to do it. On the factory Shadow video I can see how factory pilot doing the loops, the barrels. Next season I will take aerobatic lessons from glider instructor and will repeat it on Shadow. Is it possible make the aerobatics on Shadow? I know it is prohibited ,but factory pilot do it!

Attached files

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Juozas

It's a very robust aircraft, but there are a few things to be wary of. Aerobatics are prohibited, although the Shadow is very agile and responsive.

The aircraft does not like side slipping too much. The Forward Wing Attachment points do not like it ! The vertical fins would not like too much side load without additional bracing, and of course. It is impossible to Spin the Shadow, I believe many have tried, and all that happens is entry into a spiral dive. Doesn't really have a pronounced Stall either, just a Mushing of the nose.

I would not encourage anyone to do aerobatics in the Shadow, but you can still do some "energetic flying" without too much risk of incident, just not too near the ground

The last advice I was given when flying away from my instruction field was, "No steep turns near the ground" and I have never forgotten that

The accident rate is fortunately very low, with only one recent fatality I am aware of (due to other reasons I believe), and the AAIB Reports on the not too many Shadow incidents show good protection for the crew. BRS for a catastrophic failure is a great idea but I am aware not of any such accidents, probably due to the adherence to the POH :-)

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

Shadow wanted!
                          Now in Lithuania we have 3 Shadows and i am looking Shadow DD or CD for my friend.Please let me know about Shadow for sell.
                          Email: mtjuozas@hotmail.com
                          Tel: +37061089944

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

I have bought nice Strek Shadow from Richard Ford.Thanks to Mr Richard

Comment

Shadow in Lithuania.

The BRS mounted aerodynamic spoilers. Slipper tank attached and tested. After hanging the tank, there is a problem. Where deep diving and about 70 degrees Inclination motor stops. At this moment 15liters of fuel remaining in the slipper tank. The tank has a baffle and fuel pickups to the lowest point. It seems that the vacuum fuel pump catches air. Maybe someone can put on the drawing, as set out in the fuel tank system with slipper tank.

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                              X