Modifications- Help Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications- Help Required

Is there any Shadow owners out there that has successfully applied for the Dash panel modification or the leg fairing modification?

I have bought both of these from Michael Foreman for my Shadow, but haven't installed them, and have never gone through the BMAA modification process, the paperwork looks quite daunting!!!

If anyone could offer any help with this process I would be very grateful.

Many thanks and a Merry Christmas to all Shadow fliers....

Attached files

If the mods have already been done on a shadow, it should be a simple process, contact tech office at BMAA and ask them to have a look,
    basically if you do the same as any already approved mod then it is straight forward...

the TECH office will help if you ask in the right way..
    where r u based ?? Im in ESSEX and if I can help

Peter Terry
    BMAA Insp 601

Comment

Hi Andy,

As Peter says , just talk to the technical guys it is a very easy process and you will get sound advice over and above the legal stuff if you ask.

If it has been approved before then the paperwork can be easier but in reality if its not a series mod then they are all looked at with fresh eyes unless things have changed.

Don't forget that if you wish and only fly solo then there is the option of moving on to register the plane as SSDR which removes any restriction to the mods you fit and save lots of money on fees but would still advise if you go this route to check with the technical office or someone you know is in a position to give sound advice as you take the responsibility to ensure the plane is safe to fly.

It always surprises me how many pilots just look at doing the paperwork without considering the loads of free advice on whether the change will give you what you want. This is the weakness of the modification system in that you go through the process to make it legal to fly the mod and then find you could improve it to make it better and then you are faced with the same process again so many don't bother.

Anyone who is into changing things will have experienced the second attempt based on the first experience is usually a improvement.
      Mick Broom
      Member 909
      Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Peter & Mick

Thank you for your responses, I have spoken with the BMAA Tech Office, and they have talked me through the process and put me at ease. I have contacted a local inspector who is also going to help me with the procedure so hopefully between us we can get the mods passed.

Comment

the leg fairing looks like it could be beneficial, I have been mentally drawing out a drag reducing undercarriage fairing, but would take a spirit level aloft to know the angle the plane flies at, and align any fairings to that. If you are installing it to reduce drag, would you be able to post before and after results?

Comment

Hi John,

I am not so sure what the leg fairing is trying to achieve, less drag may not be as successful as you would hope because it could be considered a fin and as such would generate lift depending on the angle of attack which itself would produce drag.

If you are hoping for drag reduction it may be best to keep the efforts more local to the disturbance so minimising the effect of any angle change when flying also any fairing needs to be aligned up with the direction of the air which again will change with both speed and angle of attack.

I say maybe because the main part of the fin is next to the body and the air is doing strange things in that area due to the slab sides where I believe the nose has the effect of throwing the air out and it returns basically in that area

Only real thing is to try it and observe the effects with camera, wool tufts and any before and after performance effects carried out on the same day.

Your spirit level will be useful to establish the range of change to the angle, we used to use one to monitor the fuel level in the competition tanks as we used a sight tube for simplicity which was calibrated to the same angle.

Added

If anyone who is interested in playing with the Shadow wants to use any of my modifications which has BMAA approval at the time ( requirements for approval change sometimes and I am going back 20 years ) then I will provide all the paper work or give the BMAA permission to use my submission to help any applications you want to make.

Modifications have been seen by many as the machine has won the national comps and been to the annual show a few times.

Also anyone wanting to use a Shadow in competitions and needs to talk to someone, it may be an old design but so are the comp requirements so a cheap way of having fun.

Mick
            Mick Broom
            Member 909
            Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Hi Andy.

I can go through the Mod forms with you and get it sorted.

I will be sending the parts out soon and will see you for your permit Check Flight soon as well.

Regards
              Mark Jones

Comment

Working...
              X