Nosewheel Leg, Bolts and bungee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosewheel Leg, Bolts and bungee

Just a heads up for anyone looking to check the Nosegear :-) I have been flying from a fairly boggy strip through winter (and a lot of this bloody summer) and stripped the Nosewheel down to find the usual slightly bent bolt, but unusually a slightly bent nosewheel tube as shown. I can remember a couple of occasions when the Nosewheel took a bit of a battering from ruts etc, and digging into soft turf but there was nothing immediately apparent. I know it was ok last year as I stripped it down as usual to regrease the tube, have a proper look at the check wire and the bolt holes in the tube for elongation etc etc.

Attached files

That's very unusual Graham, for the tube to bend with so little bend in the bolt. Is it possible that your bungee was too slack. That would lead to a shock load as the wire strop bottomed out. You will have heard a clonk every time it made contact.

Worth checking the fixed tube in the fuselage is undamaged.

I replaced my noselegtube with a 16 gauge one rather than 17, and the insert with 10 gauge, to give more baring area for the bolt. Oh, and an AN6 bolt to replace the AN5.

Comment

Thanks Adrian,

Yes, the fuselage tube etc is fine, and the bungee had in fact stretched quite a bit. The bolt is a bit more bent than it looks in the pic and the main tube is about 4mm out of true at the top. No clunking last Wednesday when l flew nearly 5 hours with 8 take-offs and landings.....I believe it occurred during a landing onto very soft turf last month, but on inspection it all looked OK. Of course, it wasn't and my conscience alarm was ringing hence the strip down :-)

Surprisingly, the axle bolt holes in the tube hadn't deformed/elongated. Good suggestions, again, many thanks

G

Comment

I also have two accidents on the landing . Last year after emergency landing on the soft ground , I have lost front wheel after nose wheel tube was breaking. This year the similar accident on the precision landing competition. The nose wheel tube has 1,5 mm wall . After this accidents I have made nose wheel tube with 2,5mm wall . And now I am quiet.

Attached files

Comment

Jouzas,

Ouch !!

I believe a landing last month onto a very soft grass strip caused the wheel to dig in and bend the tube slightly. Yours look like fairly dramatic occurrences :-) As Adrian pointed out, have you checked the fuselage outer tube for damage ?

G

Comment

I think that the photo shows conclusively that the wire strop, that acts as the suspension stop, put an enormous shock force on the tube. I think this then leads to the failure of the tube. Try to get the bungee as tight as possible when installing a new one. You really can't put too much tension on it and it will help preserve the noseleg in future.

Comment

The material also looks fairly brittle Adrian ?

Comment

It would be better for the leg to bend, or even break, than damage the cockpit floor? Strengthening the tube will move the damage elsewhere...

Comment

Yes the ally tube is 6082 T6 which is high strength but not as ductile as lower strength alloys.

Comment

I have checked the outer fuselage tube and no damages on it. I don,t know what material of damaged tube was. Now the tube material are D16 T and it is same as 6082 T6.

Comment

For Bungee I would use 3F70 with a cotton covering if you can get it as it is easier to tie and has the best spring rate beating the girlfriends elastic knicker stuff from the local hard ware shop which tends to be used by some way.
                      Don't let it bottom out , you will not have useful suspension but it will last longer.
                      Mick Broom
                      Member 909
                      Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

I have replaced bolt on the tube and now the bolt has 10mm of diameter.

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                        X