Nuts in or out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts in or out.

I found the instructions for the precision prop online, it indicates that the nuts would be facing "out" on a pusher config. But on mine, they are on the engine side, so you just get the bolt heads visible from the front. Which I reckon would be much nicer. Anyone got it the "proper" way?

Also - I noted that there was only 1 washer used, when I took apart another prop for spares, I noted it had washers on the nut and bolt sides. Are yours a 1 washer or a 2 set-up?

Joe

Nuts in or out.

Joe,

For a minute I thought there must be an old, perverse tradition for Shadow Pilots ?? ;-)

The nuts are indeed to the "outside" on the 12 bolts which retain the Prop Blade sleeves, and mine has always just had the washer on the bolt side only. The main hub bolts of course are the "other" way round with the bolt and washer head showing. Don't know the logic but I'll stick to it

You'll remember the saga of the threaded hub / bolt shearing incidents which necessitated 20 or 30 Cobalt drills ( :-) ) to ream out the threads to accommodate longer bolts and Nyloc nuts ?

G

Comment

Nuts in or out.

Joe, the easiest way is to face the nuts outwards. This way you can fit a torque wrench directly onto the nut to get a true torque reading. If you apply the torque wrench to the bolt then as well as the nut tightening torque you have the friction of the bolt to overcome. This means that the nut will be torqued to a lower value than is indicated on the wrench.

All AN bolts have a circular land on the underside of the head. If you don't intend to turn the bolt then you don't need a separate washer. Only one under the nut.

Having said all that I have installed my bolts with the head facing out, for aesthetic reasons as you mention. I use a slightly higher torque setting to overcome the bolt friction, a couple of newton metres more. I also use washers under both the bolt and the nut to protect the ally plates. Seems to work so far.

Comment

Nuts in or out.

But above all, there should be enough washers to ensure the nuts are not 'bottoming' on the threads, and are sufficiently engaged: at least 1.5 turns out of the Nylok end and no thread bearing on the compression plates.
        If placing a washer under the bolt head brings thread into the plate at the other end, it would be preferable to fit two washers at the nut end, and none under the bolt head.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X