Skydemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skydemon

My I pad2 is wi fi only and does not work with Skydemon. I need to find a solution.
    I have an AV map GPS which if I remove will leave a space for to fit a mini I pad.
    Any suggestions as to which is best. I only need it for flying

Regards
    Steady

Comment

Skydemon

Hi Eddie,

I'm not familiar with the AV map GPS, but you'll see in my first photo above that I run both an iPad Mini, AND a Garmin GPS496, with which I'm very impressed, since fitting one in my previous aircraft. I suspect my opinions on the Garmin will apply to other GPS types. I fitted both due to a bad experience on a trip to Spamfield a few years ago, when midway between Gatwick and Heathrow zones, the GPS suddenly gave me a "You're on your own: so long, sucker"-type message. The problem turned out to be a GPS antenna failure, but I took it as a salutary lesson. In my current installation, their roles are complementary.

In using the 'dual' setup, I barely reference the Garmin, but find it a useful cross-check for controlled airspace, particularly in that I can have it 'zoomed in' to appreciate detail. Additionally, the Garmin can enable TWO capabilities which I haven't yet achieved, but want to: i. It can preload my Trig radio with airfield frequencies, AND ii. Connect to my Trig transponder to enable ADSB. The iPad can't do that, so for me retaining the Garmin is justified.

What the Garmin CAN'T do for me, but the iPad, running SkyDemon, CAN is:

i. Provide live, plotted NOTAM information.

ii. Provide live, plotted weather.

iii. Enable pre-flight route planning, taking into account both of the above, to establish the optimum route for the prevailing conditions.

iv. Provide airfield graphical information, either SD's native format, or the more detailed Pooley's plates,to which I subscribe.

v . Provide an intuitive view of progress in flight, including generic advice on join patterns for a destination airfield, by asking 2 simple questions: i. Runway in use; and ii. Circuit direction. I find this feature VERY useful to form a mental picture, and usually do it about 5 miles out from join.

My opinion would be that if I was to have only one, I'd plump for the iPad, running SD every time. I've not seen SD rivals, which may be just as good, but with SD I'm VERY happy.

Comment

Skydemon

Hi Phil
        Thanks for your input.
        I think I have sorted a solution by keeping the AV Map and buying a Bad Elf GPS locator for my wi fi only I pad.
        At circa £106 this a much cheaper option than buying another I pad.
        They get good reviews as well.
        Regards
        Steady

Comment

Skydemon

I have a Tesco Huddle, works great, had it for about two year and is mounted on the dash, works like the IPAD, but has its own GPS, so no need for add on's

Regards
          GT
          Itís often best to keep one's mouth shut, and let everyone think you are a twit, than open it, and remove all bloody doubt....

Comment

Skydemon

I've just refined my panel version 6, above, to the new, exciting version 7!

Yes, sad, I know.....

Attached files

Comment

Working...
            X