Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skydemon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skydemon

    Panel mount or knee pad.
    Which is most favoured and if panel mount, which mount is best.
    Just switched to Skydemon after using AvMap EKP4, hence the question.
    By the way the AvMap is for sale complete with new screen and data update in June 2015.
    Regards
    Steady

  • #2
    Skydemon

    For me knee mount as with the SkyRanger there is no stick to interfere between the legs. I have tried a few mounting options but none have worked as easily and effectively as knee mount. easy to read, no clutter on dashboard and most importantly, no dismantling to take home at the end of day. I use a leather folding knee mount that allows all my notes and radio frequencies etc to be printed off and clipped to left side of folder along with a pen clip.
    Adrian.

    Comment


    • #3
      Skydemon

      Hi Adrian
      What is the make of the knee pad you use and where can it be purchased?
      The problem then is what do I fill the hole in the dash with instead of an I pad mount!
      Regards
      steady

      Comment


      • #4
        Skydemon

        Hi Eddy, It is made by ASA can't remember dealer but I got it at The Flying show a few years back so probably Transair or similar. I had an AvMap but never installed it, it was rubbish compared to Sky Demon. Sorry no suggestions re the hole left behind other than a blanking plate.

        Comment


        • #5
          Skydemon

          Thanks Adrian
          Steady

          Comment


          • #6
            Skydemon

            see attached

            Attached files
            subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

            Comment


            • #7
              Skydemon

              at 5.5k

              Attached files
              subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

              Comment


              • #8
                Skydemon

                Dominic Connolly wrote: see attached
                Did you have to cut off part of the brake lever or does the lever clear the Ipad and the Ram mount on full forward stick?

                Rick

                Comment


                • #9
                  Skydemon

                  i'm surprised that Dominic hasn't replied to this question as he is usually responds on here. Maybe he has missed the post.

                  The reason for my asking is that I am aware of an inspector having queried an owner's proposal to saw off part of the brake lever (to avoid it colliding with something on the panel like an Ipad). His point was that the brake lever is part of the control structure and I suppose interfering with it increases the chances of the hand slipping off at a critical moment. In his view it would have needed a mod approval. My understanding is that the owner did not modify the brake lever.

                  Rick

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Skydemon

                    I pad 2 mounting unit won't fit panel of SKR but I pad mini will.
                    I am just a bit wary that the mini will be much more difficult to see.
                    Experimenting with a knee pad at the moment and it is quite adequate, but as I was used to a panel mounted GPS,it all feels a bit strange.
                    However it saves me a couple of hundred quid as I would need to buy a mini I pad.
                    I may fit a little parcel shelf in the space vacated by the orginal unit, which would be a very useful
                    piece of kit as there is very little storage space in a SKR.
                    Regards
                    Steady

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Skydemon

                      Richard Goddin wrote: i'm surprised that Dominic hasn't replied to this question as he is usually responds on here. Maybe he has missed the post.

                      The reason for my asking is that I am aware of an inspector having queried an owner's proposal to saw off part of the brake lever (to avoid it colliding with something on the panel like an Ipad). His point was that the brake lever is part of the control structure and I suppose interfering with it increases the chances of the hand slipping off at a critical moment. In his view it would have needed a mod approval. My understanding is that the owner did not modify the brake lever.

                      Rick
                      But you are assuming that the first UK Skyranger had the knob on when it was approved....: Honestly I cant remember, but we have always routinely cut our balls off if they have got in the way - just be careful of the eye-watering...!

                      Paul

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Skydemon

                        Eddie Walsh wrote: I pad 2 mounting unit won't fit panel of SKR but I pad mini will.
                        I am just a bit wary that the mini will be much more difficult to see.
                        Experimenting with a knee pad at the moment and it is quite adequate, but as I was used to a panel mounted GPS,it all feels a bit strange.
                        However it saves me a couple of hundred quid as I would need to buy a mini I pad.
                        I may fit a little parcel shelf in the space vacated by the orginal unit, which would be a very useful
                        piece of kit as there is very little storage space in a SKR.
                        Regards
                        Steady
                        I pad min has a bigger screen than any commercially available GPS that I can think of, and the Skydemon graphics are very clear so you wont have a problem. But equally the plan of converting the hole into a glovebox and using the iPad2 on your knee isnt a bad one.

                        Maybe having to look more head down into the cockpit rather than just down to the instrument panel as part of your scan might be a small issue to consider. As will having to have a trailing power lead down to the iPad if you are doing longer trips that will be outside of the battery range - a full bright screen is a bit power hungry and will sap the battery fairly quickly.

                        We can supply a new blank panel with a recessed moulding for a full size ipad - our glassfibre guy has made one for his own machine and has moulds. but its a fair bit of work to prepare a new panel and a bit of rewiring to do to move the instruments.

                        Paul

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Skydemon

                          [quote]Paul Dewhurst wrote:

                          Originally posted by Eddie Walsh
                          ?....but its a fair bit of work to prepare a new panel and a bit of rewiring to do to move the instruments.

                          Paul
                          Not if you use CAD....

                          Attached files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Skydemon

                            I favour the panel mount solution.

                            (Trustee of the Bakers Dozen Syndicate)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Skydemon

                              RAMmount for ipad Mini was supplied, installed and signed off (standard 2 stage minor mod process) by Flylight to replace ageing black and white Lowrance GPS.

                              And very good it is too. No mod to brake handle, no problems there.

                              Look back to where we were 20 years ago with paper charts flapping around and you can see how far we have come and that the tablet is made for flying. Positioned where it is means easy access for passenger too which reduces pilot workload and instils passenger confidence and involves them. Now of course we have traffic data being fed in too.

                              Next stage I guess is to get the Go-Pro rigged up and have remote camera visual from the screen a la in screen entertainment screen on the A380.
                              subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X