5-year 1,000 hour Lifed bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-year 1,000 hour Lifed bolts

I think this one may be for Paul, but views from others welcomed.

Just come to change the LE/TE wing spar & lift strut bolts as the SR is 5 years old.

Having replaced the bolts of the lift strut to wing attachment, the smaller bolts attaching the lift-strut end to the lift strut aerofoil are NOT lifed. I believe they are load bearing and a very important part of the the lift-strut, therefore why are these smaller bolts not lifed? They seem to be the "weakest link"!

Four of them effectively sharing an equal load as the 'lone' bolt in single shear at the bottom and the same diameter means the loading is insignificant compared to their rating, and fatigue will never be an issue. Even the single lower bolt should be fine indefinitely in theory, but may suffer if the assembly is not tight and 'chattering' occurs from bouncing around on rough ground, so they are lifed at 500hours (NOT 1000 as the thread header suggests!!) as a conservative measure (it really ruins your day if a wing falls off! )

All non lifed bolts should be changed 'on condition' - which means with respect to corrosion, damage or wear from in service unforseens like not being tighetened properly or being taken in and out regularly for dismantling.

'Any doubt throw them out'!

Hope this explains.

Paul

Comment

Paul

I think Pete was referring to the pairs of bolts which hold the lift strut ends into the lift struts In which case, by my calculation, there are 8 bolts which share the load of the single lower bolt, which as you say is in shear, as are all attachment bolts on both struts.

regards

Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan, yes - same argument - smaller diameter at 6mm but all in double shear too rather than single shear like the lower bolt.

Paul

Comment

Aaaaah - fatigue: that takes me back, <sigh>.

Mind you, it's not all it's cracked up to be...

;-)

Comment

Thanks Paul. I knew there would a sensible answer!

I won't worry that they are not shiny new like the others then!

Comment

Do you get many problems with the big nut holding the control stick ????

Comment

My wife does! She says the 'nut' it too tight!

Comment

Adrien Kentzer (6333) wrote:
                  Do you get many problems with the big nut holding the control stick ????
                  Ade,

Please try and use the correct terminology: the nut to which you refer is more properly known as the 'seat to stick interface'...

:smilewinkgrin:

Comment

Where does everyone get their bolts from?

Are they a FlyLight item and do you carry stock? (Paul?)

Ours are showing some corrosion so are being replaced as a matter of course (and they're fast approaching 500hrs anyway).

Cheers

Comment

Yes we do carry all bolt stock. We generally have stock of all Skyranger parts. Our aim is to be able to send stuff out same day or nearly so to be able to keep you in the air. Over 100ks worth of parts in stock - which is a lot for a small business but we have been on a steady campaign to build it up.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X