Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thruster Microlights

Hi All. First post so hopefully this is the right place

As many of you may know, the Thruster Aircraft company has been up for sale. not sure of the reason but was surprised to hear it knowing thrusters are among the best factory built aircraft available on the market today for a good price. Hopefully they resume production in future.

One thing that would be an improvement to the aircraft is of course having an alternative 4 Stroke engine apart from the Jabiru 2200.
    the Jab is a delightful engine if well maintained and does what it says in the tin (Most of the time). However if one was to use the aircraft for training or regular use another engine may be a good option.

the first 2 that come to mind is:

The D Motor , this has a good power to weight ratio and so far has proven its self as a reliable and easy to maintain engine. ( And fits to standard jabiru mount which is a small but noticeable advantage)

The UL Power 260 also available in electric injection , a slightly less heard of engine but simple and according to people who have experience with it reliable.

The 912 is, as you know the most reputable power source but is complex and quite heavy when set up.

Do any of you Gurus out there know if this would be possible (Is there any major costs involved in getting permission to do this). and anyone know what's going to happen to thruster aircraft.

Thanks People. Smooth Flying ahead ,Or as close as you can get

Thruster Microlights

My recollection is that the UL engine is on the heavy side for a Thruster and that Gordon Pill tried a 912 but again found it too heavy. As you say that D Motor would seem a good option, as would the Cammit. The Cammit is basicaly a Jabiru with, so I'm told, the niggles sorted out and would offer a straightforward modifcation as it is the same in form, fit and function.
    If anyone was to offer a well thought out mod for fitting either of these I'm sure that they'd find the Tec Office helpfull. I did speak to them about fitting a Cammit and may well have taken it further but the requirement for a test period of 25hrs flying wasn't on for a hardworking school aircraft.

Comment

Thruster Microlights

Thanks for the reply Ginge :smile:
      The Cammit engine looks promising (Had not heard of that one yet) especially is it is basically a better version of a Jab,(Direct drive is a simplicity advantage). As you say the 912 engine is too heavy for the thruster so would not work of course. Not sure about the weight of the UL Power engine but looking at there website they fitted a Bantam B22 with one (Similar characteristics to a thruster, I stand to be corrected) , not sure how well it preformed though.

Comment

Thruster Microlights

Certainly a similar looking structure but very different under the skins, oddly enough the Bantam has a lower ZFW at 247kg than the Thrusters 267kg but, at least in the UK it has a lower MAUW of 430kg compared to the Thruster 450kg. Is it possible that in NZ the Bantam is cleared to more than the 430kg allowed here?

Comment

Thruster Microlights

I Have a Bantam B22J here in the uk, my only complaint is the original prop had to be taken off and changed to I don't know what? this affects the climb, maybe why its limited to 430kg (empty weight 216kg) I'm not sure what prop it has at the moment (its a Jabiru) but the pitch is not the same, something to do with the way the prop unloads and gear ratio the tips go supersonic and breaks the noise abatement.

Comment

Thruster Microlights

There is an X'Air falcon Flying in the uk with a UL260i fitted and is well in the microlight catagory

Me Escapade is fitted with a UL260i in the microlight catgory with full analogue instruments and came in 2.6 kg lighter than the same aircraft fitted with a 912.

Comment

Working...
            X