TST/T300 Tailplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TST/T300 Tailplane

Does anyone have a spare port TST/T300 tailplane for sale?

I've had mine off this weekend to address some corrosion and noticed that one of the welds was cracked. I've uploaded a couple of photos showing the area.

There was evidence of some odd damage on the face of the tube opposite to the weld - two narrow dents. So it may be it was dropped or carelessly transported in the past. Normally that face is protected by the elevator leading edge tube so it seems a funny place to pick up casual damage.

Incidentally, I was unpleasantly surprised to see how happily corrosion creeps under the powder coating of these chrome-moly tubes. The more paint I rubbed away, the more I kept finding! Even where the paint surface looked fine. I had decided to take the tailplane to a local workshop to get it blasted all over and re-coated, but thought I'd better do a visual inspection of the welds first. The crack was pretty obvious to the naked eye in a good light, and confirmed with a 10x magnifier and the dye test.

Thanks for any help

Tom

Attached files

TST/T300 Tailplane

That's a typical fatigue crack, and almost certainly not caused by impact. Cromoly tube is particularily prone to corrosion, and measures should be taken to control it, especially internally.
    Phil (Thruster welder)

Comment

TST/T300 Tailplane

Thanks Phil. Would it be a relatively easy job to repair the weld?

Comment

TST/T300 Tailplane

I think you are all sorted now Tom.

Nice to Chat the other day and to see the MGB in every day use.

All the best
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X