X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

[4]Can anyone who owns or has flown a X-Air falcon with a jabiru 2.2 engine give me there opinions regarding reliability and performance Please [/4]

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

If he doesn't spot this try a PM to Trevor the one with the spiderman avatar. He has been operating a very smart Jab X Air sucessfully for a number of years
    Ginge

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

many thanks for the reply Ginge

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

I get the opportunity now and then to fly a Thruster with a Jabiru engine and I am definately a fan of the engine. There seems to be a lot less "plumbing", no gearbox and it's very easy to maintain.

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Hi Riggs,
          I have had one for 18 months, and have found it to be a great little plane. I've flown 110 hours in it and never had any problems at all. A viceless machine with an engine that goes like a little sewing machine. I enthused about the machine on my website; www.trikeman.rafmfa.co.uk go to if you want to see some more or PM me if you like. For what it's worth, my instructor/inspector loved it, comparing it very favourably to a Thruster Sprint. If you get a good one then I think you'll be really happy with it.

regards

Gary T

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Ginge i spotted it.

Yes i fly a standard x,air with a Jabiru engine out of Southend airport.
            I usually cruise around at 2600 rpm at approx 70MPH and burning 14L hr.
            I have no problems with the engine so far with about 150 hrs on her.
            Although when i last did a compression test the front most cyclinder was down, but apparently this is quite common
            for this cylinder is the one that out in the cold.
            The only problem i have is with cold starting.
            She never wants to start if its been cold.
            This may be due to the battery being as far back as i could get so not to have a problem with Cof G.
            This then means there is about 15ft of starter cable which may bring the voltage down.

rgds trevor

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Ginge i spotted it.

Yes i fly a standard x,air with a Jabiru engine out of Southend airport.
              I usually cruise around at 2600 rpm at approx 70MPH and burning 14L hr.
              I have no problems with the engine so far with about 150 hrs on her.
              Although when i last did a compression test the front most cyclinder was down, but apparently this is quite common
              for this cylinder is the one that out in the cold.
              The only problem i have is with cold starting.
              She never wants to start if its been cold.
              This may be due to the battery being as far back as i could get so not to have a problem with Cof G.
              This then means there is about 15ft of starter cable which may bring the voltage down.

rgds trevor

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Hi Trevor,

What battery are you using? I use a Varley RedTop 15 on my X-Air Falcon, which is the lightest most powerful one I could find. It's expensive at about 115, but with 350 hours on the clock (and in 110 hours of my ownership) I've never had a starting problem. My battery is located about half way along the spine aft of the wing so I have a long starter lead too.

I am lucky to have power in my hangar though and so leave the battery plugged into an optimate3 battery maintainer most of the time.

Do you trip the CB's for the alternator and auxiliaries after flight?

As I understand it there is a tiny constant power drain unless you do; the previous owners told me this and it was confirmed by my instructor who has thousands of hours in a Thruster Sprint.

regards

Gary T

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Gary T wrote:

As I understand it there is a tiny constant power drain unless you do; the previous owners told me this and it was confirmed by my instructor who has thousands of hours in a Thruster Sprint.

regards

Gary T
                  This was certainly a problem with the earlier Thruster T600 types fitted with Jabs. Latter models were fitted with a battery isolator switch which sorted it out totaly.

As a matter of interest the switch used is the same type that is in marine use and is obtainable from any decent chandler.

The jab powered T600N used by my wife is tied down outside and in the last 3 winters and has never had a starting problem.

Ginge

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

I seem to get conflicting info on petrol used by the Jabiru engine. Some quote 14 lph and some quote 11 lph.
                    Also, can anyone advice me which is the better plane: the T600N or Xair Falcon.
                    Philip

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Fuel consumption depends on many things - how the aircraft is flown, what prop is on it, what the aircraft is that the engine is attached to! Having said that, I know both Xairs and Thrusters with the Jab engine and I'd expect more like 10-11 lph, not 14 lph.

All aircraft are compromises - I mean its not really possible to say whether one is "better" than another. A T600N will fly a bit faster than an Xair Falcon, but the seats are less comfortable. You'll get a smarter Xair Falcon for your money than T600N because the T600N is factory built and can be used by schools for training (that tends to bump up the price). As a fairly regular flier I'd be happy to own either type.

There is a sound argument for getting a two-stroke engine if the aircraft is going to do less than about 100 hours a year. Both Xairs and T600Ns can be found with a Rotax 582 engine. Don't believe folk who say they don't trust a two-stroke, it just needs to be looked after.
                      Martin Watson
                      Microlights in Norfolk
                      Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                      07805 716407

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Thanks Martin. Sound advice...

Comment

X-Air Falcon with Jabiru

Actually, the only engine I've heard of that which copes without maintenance is the old Seagull outboard :-)
                          Not powerful enough for our use though.

As Martin says, 'how the aircraft is flown': for good fuel consumption per hour you should fly smoothly, in balance, carrying no more weight than necessary and no faster than the aircraft really wants to go.

For best consumption per mile you need to take into account wind velocity at your cruising altitude and that's a more complicated matter which involve you flying faster than your speed for best fuel consumption per hour. To illustrate that, consider a flight into a wind which is the same speed as your best litres per hour speed - you'll need to fly faster just to make some progress. A draggier aeroplane will get a smaller increase in speed for a given increase in fuel flow per hour (all other things being equal), which is one reason why the keener touring pilots will buy the slippiest aircraft they can afford. The X'Air Falcon does not come into that class :shakehead:

Joan

Comment

Working...
                          X