Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zenair 601ul owners

Hi There,
    I'm Tommy Lorimer flying out out Strathaven in Scotland and i've recently bought a Zenair 601ul with 133 hours on it, It's a fantastic aircraft to fly but ive noticed that there a real lack of info on this type available. I recently owner a Skyranger which had bundles of info via the web. Can anyone who owners or has a lot of knowledge on this aircraft make themselves known and maybe we can start to swap of knowledge and experiences.

Many Thanks

Tommy Lorimer

G-CDXO

Zenair 601ul owners

Tommy Lorimer wrote: Hi There,
    I'm Tommy Lorimer flying out out Strathaven in Scotland and i've recently bought a Zenair 601ul with 133 hours on it, It's a fantastic aircraft to fly but ive noticed that there a real lack of info on this type available. I recently owner a Skyranger which had bundles of info via the web. Can anyone who owners or has a lot of knowledge on this aircraft make themselves known and maybe we can start to swap of knowledge and experiences.

Many Thanks

Tommy Lorimer

G-CDXO
    Hi Tommy !

I agree the 601UL is a stunning plane. Here in South Africa we have many flying and some are even used by flying schools.

I am busy building a local version called the Raven, it is based on the 601HD and comes in kit form. The only difference is the canopy and the wing has 2 extra ribs per side for added strength.

Here is a photo of my plane a while ago, the structure is now finished and I am busy with engine and instrument installation.

It will be nice to share some info here on the Zodiac range of planes.

Hope you will have many pleasant and safe hours with your plane !

Fly safe,
    Rudi

Comment

Zenair 601ul owners

Hi Tommy.

Thought it was about time I dropped you a few lines.

I'm also an owner (part) of a Zenair Zodiac 601 UL, G-CDFL.

You may have seen my aircraft, as it once shared the same hangar as your aircraft, G-CDXO, at Caunton Airfield, near Newark.

I've been flying the aircraft for five years. During this time, I've flown the aircraft to Europe fifteen times, including France (obviously), Italy (x3), Germany (x2), Spain, Switzerland, the Czech Republic and Poland. I've also flown two, Fly-UK Rallies, in the aircraft.

My aircraft is a pleasure to fly. It's not particularly fast but, as far as I'm concerned, this isn't a disadvantage as it means that I'm spending longer in the air, which is where I want to be.

In my opinion the aircraft has a number of significant advantages over all other fixed-wing microlight aircraft, especially the short-field landing capability. It also has a really strong undercarriage and an incredibly long range (2 x 45 litre fuel tanks).

I also like the all moving fin which Ive put to good use on several occasions, landing in cross-winds. The year before last, I had to make a diversionary landing, due to adverse weather, at Manston in Kent, at the end of a trip to Italy. The wind was crossed approximately 90 degrees to the runway and was blowing 24 knots, gusting 36.

Next time your down this way, give me a call.

Regards,

Rick Green.

Comment

Zenair 601ul owners

there does not seem to be an active owners group, for the 601ul, in the UK. The new UK agent, Gary Johnson, is going to start building up some enthusiasm by organising a fly-in at his airstrip in the midlands. Maybe when the weather gets to be more amenable for a BBQ outdoors. Must agree with the other posters though, the aircraft does seem to be good and honest, does what it says on the box etc, good value for money if a little "heavy duty" in appearance. Pity I am so tall, I find the headroom is insufficient and have reluctantly advertised mine for sale. I have the same issues with cars and commercial transport so it must be just me!

Andrew.

Comment

Working...
        X