nearly ready to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nearly ready to go

Is anyone else close to finishing a 601 build? I am building a 601UL, I took it to the airfield for final assembly a week ago.

I had been having a little difficulty with the tension in my elevator cables, it was not consistent as the elevator moves. Slack at full down, too tight at full up. I have checked the cable routing with another builder, thanks Chris, but found no obvious reason.

mystery solved.

What I have found out, by trial and error, is that the variation in tension is affected by the relative positions of the elevator neutral position and the stick neutral position. Slackening the upper cable, at the stick end, then tightening the lower cable eventually gets to a situation where the cable tension stays virtually constant as the stick is moved. The stick needs to be virtually hitting the centre console when the elevator is fully down.

After I had sorted that out I soldered a plug to the flap motor wiring and tested the feedback indicator. Then I fitted some nutplates to the rudder fairing so that I could remove it easily if I should ever need to have the tailplane off (tailplane is too wide for my garage) and fitted it with stainless bolts.

Just the reg letters to apply, fit the wing panels, wires for fuel gauge senders and connect tank pipe connections and it will be done. Hurrah!

I capped the day by taxiing up and down the airfield (without the wings!) for every ones amusement. Good Game.

Andrew.

nearly ready to go

I guess it is just me then!

Paperwork all with the LAA so I'm thumb twiddling till they send me either queries or a permit to test fly.

Comment

nearly ready to go

Which airfields will you nominate for your test flying? Headcorn and Calais? ;-)

Andrew Cattell wrote:
      I guess it is just me then!

Paperwork all with the LAA so I'm thumb twiddling till they send me either queries or a permit to test fly.

Comment

nearly ready to go

woooo hoooo, my permit came yesterday, we took the 601ul to Sywell today. Magic!

Rans6A.....? I might have to change my identity!

Comment

Working...
        X