SSDR at Popham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSDR at Popham

Impressive line up on the SSDR front at Popham.

Particularly interesting was Flylight's retractable undercarriage machine.. Well thought out and fits folded up into the boot of a car... Bailey 4-stroke engine super efficiency means you'll need a pi$$ long before the fuel runs out :yeah:

Looks great, will be keeping a close eye on this, quite fancy one myself!

SSDR at Popham

Did you see the Alizes trike. It was paired with the same wing as the Flylight machine and collapses down for carriage in a similar manner. Currently has a Corsair 2 stroke but I reckon it won't be long until some pops a Bailey in there.

Being a 3 axis man I had to sit in the Project-X machine (E12n) that Flylight are taking a look at to try to make it fit the regs (the wing area is currently insufficient). It will not be quite as portable as the trike machines but I will certainly be watching the development closely.

What a great day :smile:

Alan

Comment

SSDR at Popham

hi Alan,

Certainly did.. Must admitt I'm more of a triker.. Overall it'll be interesting to see how the 3 axis SSDR turns out, since more difficult to meet the weight requirement. My opinion is that it should be totally transportable without a trailer - could be tricky for 3 axis!

Would like to have a go at building a trike myself, but have nowhere near the amount of time I need.

The chaser is good, but old.. the Ace is ok, but te trike doesn't have a nice quality feel about it (well, according to me).... I was most impressed with Ben's design.. looking forward to seeing it finished. also 4 stroke means no messing around with and having to carry oil .

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Andy,

I agree that transportation is key. I currently do not have an aircraft and like the idea of being able to carry my aircraft in the car - though I will probably have to change my car as I only have a small hatch! Then again, a trailer for an SSDR is going to be very minimal so maybe not too bad?

I didn't manage to blagg a ride in a trike yesterday. Never been up in one but would love to give it a go. Might even think about converting :freaked:

Alan

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Andy Fell wrote:
          Would like to have a go at building a trike myself, but have nowhere near the amount of time I need.

The chaser is good, but old.. the Ace is ok, but te trike doesn't have a nice quality feel about it (well, according to me).... I was most impressed with Ben's design.. looking forward to seeing it finished. also 4 stroke means no messing around with and having to carry oil .

Statement one; I know that feeling only too well
          Statement two; not quite on the money.
          The Chaser still wins world champs, and as displayed was the best machine there, as it has had all the faults fixed, runs a 447 and has the best handling weightshift wing around, including the GT and Quik (I can attest to the last from personal experience). However Nigel is in denial about the execrable ground handling of the type, so might not fix it as much as it needs to be fixed.
          The others on display had daft little single pot paramotor engines, OK for a spot of soaring but not really up to travelling from East Yorkshire to Spamfield, as I did twice in a 447 Chaser. A Scots feller on the first Spamfield was off back up to erm... 'Scotland' with his Chaser, so distance touring would still be feasible, if you don't mind the lack of pod and spats etc.
          But this situation will change; I had a natter with Jim Cunliffe and he said all the right things. First the Magic will take a 447, second Bill Brooks is currently working through the tubes to size them up to comply with UK Standards. Third they are going to bung a smaller, 60mph wing on it. Since the pylon folds, unlike the bloody struggle with the none folding Chaser wing, that means the Magic will, shortly, end up the best bet.
          The Chaser's edge was the fact that it was Section S compliant and tested; once P&M bring the Magic up to the same standard, and sell it incidentally, at half the price sans engine, the Chaser's main unique selling point is dead and gone.
          I'd also add that whilst Nigel / Cosmik give excellent support, he really can't afford to take his eye off his Eurostar ball and give the same superb service that P&M will give.
          I hope that the 'new smaller' wing from P&M is a copy of the old Brit product. It'll be unbeatable then.
          Couldn't see the point of flylight's folding wheels on something intended to be slow and simple.
          Did anyone else see that deeelicious French DTA trike near Mark Phillip's machine?
          Kev
          G-KEVA
          BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Reggie Bender wrote:

Couldn't see the point of flylight's folding wheels on something intended to be slow and simple.
            Reggie,
            Ben Ashman said that he expected the folding wheels to add a point on glide. This is quite a lot for a machine that is in essence a flat ground launching hangglider. Not everyone wants a single seater for touring.

By the way, I suspect Ben has bought a job lot of props and this is his way of getting them all sold. I can just imagine all the shouts of oh shit when pilots realise they have forgotten to put the undercarriage back down before landing. :-)

Anyway, for me Ben's little trike was the star of the show.

By the way, don't forget to email me a copy of your photo of SHOG with the debonair model giving the size some perspective.

Paul

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Kev wrote:
              But this situation will change; I had a natter with Jim Cunliffe and he said all the right things. First the Magic will take a 447, second Bill Brooks is currently working through the tubes to size them up to comply with UK Standards. Third they are going to bung a smaller, 60mph wing on it. Since the pylon folds, unlike the bloody struggle with the none folding Chaser wing, that means the Magic will, shortly, end up the best bet.
              ahh, now this changes the story somewhat :smile:

By the way, I didn't mean the chaser was not capable.. I just think it needs a bit of a new look.. Now the BMAA has done the great job of getting the green light, the opportunity is (as was intended) to allow peoples creativity to flourish using modern materials and ideas.

I think the fold up wheels are quite snazzy... ok perhaps more of a novelty factor but can really see this design being great for soaring.

Having another thought... could they not design a 75mph wing for it? No need to spend 25k on a quik then for some serious ground shifting :lol: Oh, I guess PM wouldn't want to do that eh :smilewinkgrin:

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Hi all,
                I nearly had a fully fuctional miniswift to take to Popham, but the change to a Photon wing less than a week before left me with no prop clearance and a control bar fairly wedged on your lap.
                But having Billy Brooks sit in and say it was the most comfortable trike he had ever sat in told me I had at least got something right!
                On Ben's retractable wheel trike: yes on the face of it perhaps a bit of a gimmick, but SSDR is all about trying things to see where real advantage turns up, and anyway, Ben explained to me that the folding wheels will greatly enhance its entry into the back of more estate cars etc... SSDR and fully rigged hangarage need not go hand in hand.
                Like any new novelty retractable wheels will most probably be deployed on an irregular basis; and as Paul suggests earlier, sooner or later someone will take off then nip back to the field for their sandwiches and forget to lower the gear... but if you don't think you can always remember to do your BUMPFF downwind checks just keep the wheels down and locked.
                I remember when I did my PPL in 1977 thinking it strange that the instructor made me learn 'undercarriage down and locked' on a fixed gear plane; he told me as we bounced along downwind leg that one day I will fly a plane with retractable gear, and I said not while I am still a postman; it never occured to me he meant on a trike!
                Mark P..................

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Take a look at this http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=15BR&distinct_entry=true Could be the beginning of a whole new sport

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Paul Collins wrote:

By the way, don't forget to email me a copy of your photo of SHOG with the debonair model giving the size some perspective.

Paul
                    Haven't got your email address at home Paul, and am at a track day (Silverstone) tomorrow, so here you are as an attachment on here...:-)

Kev

Attached files
                    G-KEVA
                    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Thanks Kev. By the way, I saw it flying later in the day.

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Do you sit in that thing? I've seen bigger models than that!!! [IMG]/forums/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]
                        Looks like a total scream!

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Andy

Have a look at Jet Powered Cri-Cri

There's also some video of it flying, somewhere on the web.

Comment

SSDR at Popham

Hi Pete,

I saw that a while back.. quite incredible... Must feel like sitting in an oversized balsa model aircraft. Maybe someone on the ground is controlling it with a transmitter?

Comment

Working...
                            X