Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

912 carb rubbers

Hi Roger,
    I don't know if we are talking about different BMWs, but the BMW bikes with Bings are the old Airheads, which have always had the carbs suported by the air intake tubes (well, at least since the 1930s!).
    Sometimes you see a custom or race bike with the standard air filter system replaced with conical K+N airfilters - which look very similar to our 912 arrangeent, and those bikes probably do have the samec problem of cracking manifolds!
    AndyB

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Good tip, their advert is in English, says they're the 'original' part; thus I've already ordered a pair of carb.mounting rubbers for the 912.

Thanks, mike.

Comment

912 carb rubbers

140 euros will not be too different to the Skydrive price, once you have benefitted from a favourable exchange rate. :-)

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Nobody told me the carb rubbers should be replaced after 5 years. I am still on the originals after 15 years and over 1,750 hours use so I guess I will stick with these for a while longer!

Comment

912 carb rubbers

I think everything rubber needs changed every 5 years (according to the maintenance manual anyway)
            Does anyone do this??

I haven't needed to change a set of carb rubbers yet on any trike I've had.
            Bog standard 912 and try and have the carbs well balanced, so not sure if that makes a big difference or not

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Victor, may I respectfully suggest that the "need" arises from complying with the conditions of your Permit to FLy and obtaining your certificate of Validity rather than whether or not a component is broken.

Laurie (2)

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Not strictly true Laurie. You only have to convice your inspector that you have an 'alternative' maintenance schedule. Different for a certified engine.

Dave

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Thankfully, Rob Hill (and others) took the time to write SIGMA for a bit of guidance!

Section 4.1.6

'Uncertified engines, which are fitted to all Microlights, however are maintained 'on-condition' only. If a maintenance schedule exists, then these are by convention treated as guidelines only and the Owner may elect to adhere to the recommended maintenance schedules, or not, by formulating his own alternative'

Comment

912 carb rubbers

After reading all these posts, and as I am about to take delivery of an aircraft fitted with a Rotax 912UL engine, which has done 290 odd hours, should I be thinking about taking the carbs off to inspect the rubbers??

Is it also worth thinking about the 'soft start' module even though it is not the 'S' variant (and I don't think it has a slipper clutch)

As a novice all advice would be appreciated!

Regards

Chris Parsons

Comment

912 carb rubbers

The bog standard 80 h.p engine needs neither a slipper clutch, not soft start as they're gentle little animals, smooth and generally well behaved.

Unless you personally know the seller/inspector it's worth checking all over the 'plane as I hear many 'just got a new permit' a/c seem to have curiously unsuitable elements - not simply the carbs. Age as well as hours may affect rubbers, the carbs should be partly supported by springs, one each, on top to take some of the strain & wobble off the mounting rubbers. Removal of carbs, get a knowledgeable 912 owner to assist, is fairly easy and you can push and pull you rubbers and inspect with a strong torch in & out for incipient cracks. IMHO you should find they're fine.
                      Re-balancing with ditto useful chum and borrowing his manometers is recommended once carbs & cables are disturbed.

Best to read all the stuff, free on the web, from Rotax, Manuals go from daily use through the 'heavy maint'.

mike hallam. (with 912 UL)

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Thanks very much Mike, that's very reassuring (and saved me some money!)

My CFI is going to go through the aircraft for me when it is delivered, I have no problem removing and inspecting rubbers with help,
                        but am not so sure about carb balancing, might get this done professionally, unless it is worth getting the tools/instruments to so it yourself?

I am buying a EuroFOX and have just discovered these are fitted with a Rotax 'airbox' which apparently makes a difference?

Regards

Chris Parsons

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Carb. balancing is dead easy once anyone else who has done it will explain. It is mentioned in several guides, the web would help you if you wish.

It does start off with visual setting or at least observing, without fiddling, the carb's levers in shut & fully open positions.

Many folk have the pair of manometers & pipes hidden away for occasional use.
                          There are two or three sets at Jackrell's.

But your inspector ought to know as well. If you must acquire a personal set I recommend pressure gauge types rather than electronic shouldn't cost much, try a m/c dealer ?

mike hallam.

Comment

912 carb rubbers

Look at the website Rotax-Owner.com. There are good videos on various maintenance and bulletin topics on Rotax engines. There is one on carb balancing and others on oil change etc. etc. To have access to all the full length videos you need to join, membership is around US$30.00 a year. Money well spent I recon. Chris.

Comment

Working...
                            X