912 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

912 no spark

Iv'e cut one open too and like you,am amazed that they can repair anything inside as its all surrounded by potting. The bottom of my units were cut open and whatever necessary was done. The original potting which is poured in from the open edge of the module 'box',was not touched,which leaves me pondering how in hells name they did the job! Where the bottom was cut off to gain access,on completion this was filled wih a hard epoxy potting.
    I have a customer unit going to them for a repair next week and I'll post on how that works out-highly successful I suspect!
    Adrian

Comment

912 no spark

Yeah. The underside of the PCB is accessible and I'd suggest that the potting isn't successful there (perhaps flux residue spoiling the adhesion?). You can open that bit up cleanly. That suggests either one or more of the surface mount components is the Achilles heel, or they've worked out that one of the potted top components goes open circuit (or low in value), and its connections are accessible from below. So they can parallel up another component underneath.
      Sounds like a good job - love to know exactly what...
      Dave

Comment

912 no spark

I'd sure love to know too! I very much suspect that you're pretty close to the mark on the basic repair mode.I knew damn well though,that they weren't going to tell me anything other than the basic minimum,and who can blame them. I've got another customer duff unit going off to them shortly and I'll post the results on here when it arrives back.
        Adrian

Comment

912 no spark

Have you got any further clarification about the exact nature of the problem ?

Any feedback about behavior of repaired units would be welcome.

Tks

Luciano

Comment

912 no spark

Hello Luciano,
            The problem is simply one of some poor quality components within these units,which eventually break down. What those components those are,I have no idea! Carmo won't tell me anything other than they replace the poor quality components-I can quite understand why they won't give hard earned information away which would allow others to copy their ideas!
            The repaired units on my own a/c are functioning 100%. Those on customer a/c which I have had repaired are also functioning 100%. I have passed the information on to others regarding Carmo's ability to carry out excellent repairs and those who have sent their units to them have also reported 100% satisfaction with the repaired units functioning.
            Typically of course,it appears that Rotax and their current British agent are carrying on as if no problem exists,despite failing units cropping up all over the place. There is another thread running on the forum,particularly regarding splitting of the 912 carb rubber sockets which reflects the self same head in the sand approach of Rotax toward its customer base-not good.
            Adrian

Comment

912 no spark

I noticed this news story the other day Record number of US drone crashes, and this line in particular caught my attention "...investigators had traced the problems experienced by the Reaper to a faulty starter generator.". I know that the Predator drones use Rotax engines, but after a glance at Wikipedia, it seems the Reapers use Honeywell engines. Anyway I wonder if by 'starter generator' they mean 'ignition module', or am I mixing apples and pears? Could it be that we are not the only victims of low quality components failing?

Comment

912 no spark

Certainly interesting. Trouble is,starter/generator could mean a number of things with the Americans!
                What bugs me most of all,is when you quiz the Rotax agents about such things,you get an almost automatic denial anything could be possibly wrong,when in this instance with the electronic modules,something is definitely not right regarding longevity with some of these units fitted to a/c.
                Adrian

Comment

Working...
                X