X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southend Controlled Airspace - round 2

After this lot http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=69&m=120663

We now have this: http://www.southendairport.com/news/controlled-airspace

Let's hope that for once, the consultation process makes a difference.

Joan

Southend Controlled Airspace - round 2

It already has to some extent. The airspace around Stoke has been modified so we are outside the CTR. Not perfect but better than it was and at least they listened to some of our concerns.

Comment

Hi Tony, it might have for you and I can see why you don't want to rock the boat now. As for focus groups or whatever, if they asked anybody at North Weald they didn't tell me about it. All I've heard is the rumour mill grinding away. I intend to respond even though I don't expect much response from the powers-that-be.

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,
        Don't get me wrong, it is not perfect and we will be responding, it is just encouraging to see that they are not completely closed minded on some of the issues. You know Chris, every boat needs rocking :-)

Comment

Tony

It certainly isn't perfect. I hope the 'special Stoke cut-out' works for you but it seems to me to be extremely paltry bearing in mind the ab-initio activities currently carried out at Stoke.

And if you look at the statistics, and compare what's proposed for Southend to that given to Stansted, Southend are proposing a 'no-go' CTR 43% bigger than Stansted. Stansted's CTR along the centre-line is 8 nm, and Southend are trying to grab a 23 nm centre-line CTR. I've no doubt that it's all explained in the overbearing text of the document, but that's just plain ridiculous, and creates yet another GA pinch point in the South East between the City zone and Southend. Perhaps if it's so difficult for Southend to operate in the established airspace they shouldn't be operating at all. They knew what they were taking on after all.

Perhaps the 'authorities' ought to know that the residents of Burnham on Crouch, well embedded in the proposed CTR, are already pretty fed-up with the Easijet air-force and others lining up at low level over the town, but like GA, their views just don't count.

Comment

Hi Alan, Please don't get the idea I am in favour for the Class D airspace as I am not. The reason given for the extra area to the north are the wind farms that are near Bradwell. These totally hide any low aircraft in that area. How they got approved I do not know!
            There is one other thing to remember the class D airspace is only a problem if you are non radio. With radio there is no reason for not flying in that airspace. in fact if Southend refuse too many aircraft from entering they can lose the airspace, as far as I understand it.
            For those visiting Stoke you can approach from the west/south/east without talking to Southend as long as you are below 1500'.

Comment

Tony Harrison-Smith wrote:
              There is one other thing to remember the class D airspace is only a problem if you are non radio. With radio there is no reason for not flying in that airspace. in fact if Southend refuse too many aircraft from entering they can lose the airspace, as far as I understand it.
              The consultation document misses Rochester ATZ out completely on page 53, Figure 11: Configuration of CTA 4. Rather poor, methinks. We can't see a choke point or proximity. Why not have the CTR boundary closer to the coast near Stroke?

Those of us using hand held radios have no access to them after the end of 2017.

Unpowered aircraft can't guarantee to maintain height so would be unable to comply with a large proportion of ATC instructions conditional for Class D access. Cross country flights from Kent or Sussex into Essex would end.

The requirements/areas annexed seem to be huge.

Comment

Tony

The argument about the Bradwell wind farm just does not stack up. Firstly the extent of the proposed CTR is 11 miles on the centre-line to the south-west, and 12 (ish) towards the wind farm in the north east. So once again, why 11 miles towards the south west when Stansted only require 8 nm? Secondly the comment about not being able to see low level aircraft because of the wind farm. Why do Southend require to see low level aircraft at 12 miles? As a life-long radar engineer I would like to see their arguments split into secondary radar and primary radar issues. I think it's all bluff. Or perhaps it's a case of asking for the ridiculous in the hope that NATS/CAA will think it's job done if they knock it all down a bit, which was the case with the original proposed Stansted Transponder Zone. It's all very unpleasant and upsets lots of people who have been fooled into thinking their views will carry any weight.

Comment

I'm now starting to prepare my response to the Southend airspace consultation - does anybody have a chart showing the airspace around Southend when it last had a class D zone of its own?

Cheers

Joan

PS. The consultation document is now at issue 1.2 dated 25th Sept

Comment

Hi Joan - just sent you a scan of the half mil chart from 1970 showing what was then the Southend Special Rules Zone - a circle of 8nm radius from ground to 6500 feet amsl.

Blimey that's a long time ago - and the tiny amount of controlled airspace that there was then is fascinating.
                    Martin Watson
                    Microlights in Norfolk
                    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                    07805 716407

Comment

here it is in case anyone else is interested

Attached files southend-srz.pdf (1.7 MB)
                      Martin Watson
                      Microlights in Norfolk
                      Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                      07805 716407

Comment

Thanks, that's interesting.

Does anybody have a more recent one just before they lost their class D airspace in the early '90s?

The consultation document makes it seem they're asking for the same back, but they're not; I think they're asking for a lot more.

Cheers

Comment

Joan,

I found 1983 1/2 mill, the too also a big SRZ. Might have later examples but won't be home to search till Monday.

mike hallam.

Comment

Hi Mike, any luck? A 1980's chart would be handy to supplement the 1970 one scanned by Martin. What I really would like is something showing the CTR they had between 1991 and 1993 before it was taken away again through lack of use.

All I want to do is to be able to rebut their claim that this is simply a re-introduction of airspace they previously had. They are asking for, as one aviation publication put it, Lebensraum.

Joan

Comment

Dear Joan,

Sorry, here's a j-peg of Southend area off my 1983 1/2 mill.

mike hallam

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                              X