Radio Mandatory Zone (size of a CTR) Southend from 18/7/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Mandatory Zone (size of a CTR) Southend from 18/7/2014

See Hot News on http://www.flyontrack.co.uk for more info and extent, but basically, radio mandatory unless otherwise approved prior to flight in a CTR-sized area around Southend from 18/7/2014, review next January
    edit: Chart (probably too big to imbed):
    http://www.caa.co.uk/images/14/southend250amended.jpg

To what height? I presume it extends up to LTMA / Southend CTA?

Part of me wants to suggest a mass rally to test their radio handling. But this would probably just reinforce their request for a full CTR. This airspace grabbing is starting to make my piss boil. I would support development at Manston because there would be a regeneration benefit but not Southend.

What with this and Farnborough it feels like we are being slowly strangled in the south east.

It's also worth noting that this RMZ is greater in size than the proposed CTR so this is more restrictive than the ultimate CTR will be.

Comment

I don't know Gwyn, it seems to me to be least horrible scenario, going along on a basic service just so that they know who the little blip is and where they are heading is rather better than having one of the 200kt almost blind missiles charging around in class G without a clue who's there. That is the crazy situation that we have now and it's only due to the responsible Micro and GA pilots they haven't yet had the disaster in the mess that they (Southend) have created.

I agree that the whole stupid situation should never have developed, but we are where we are

Comment

I don't think accepting a basic service, or any type of service, is mandated. Just contact and refuse the services offered. It must have really sodded up Stoke flyers. What arrangements are in place there for take offs? Is it mandated to contact Southend by phone before taking off? If that is the case then the CAA have mandated the ownership of both a radio and mobile phone! Great!

Comment

Quote from CAP 413:

Two-way communication is considered to have been achieved once the pilot has provided at least the following information on the appropriate communications channel:
          ??
          callsign;
          ??
          type of aircraft;
          ??
          position;
          ??
          level;
          ??
          intentions of the flight;

Comment

I agree that it is a lousy situation but it is the place at which we find ourselves and taking note that it is to be revisited in a year I think that we need to make it work. Bearing in mind that the airspace hogs will be still looking for something resembling their original atempted grab we should make the effort, the basic service is after all little more than the minium and you are not required to take instruction from the ATC unit.

This surely is a much improved response from NATS than rolling over as they did at Norwich, although as Alan I resent my simple aircraft being loaded with electronic junk unless it is my choice to do so.

Comment

I don't think this means the CTR isn't coming Ginge? I presume it just means that it takes longer to get the CTR in place and they need to do something right now as flights have already increased at Southend (28000+ movements a year)

Comment

I'm afraid that a CTR is inevitable, but it's not yet finalised, but the size is'not yet fixed you will notice the the general pulling down of the upper airspace is excluded from this RMZ so hopefully that is already in the reject drawer. This RMZ area also gived none of the protective area to Stoke that was even in the hogs proposal, so there is much left to play for and demonstrating our own responsability in direct contrast to that of the Southend operators will do no harm.

Comment

I fly from an airstrip within the RMZ i have known about this coming for some time.
                  And we have a LOA (letter of aggrement) for our airstrip.

I understand the likea of Stoke and Stow MAries have been given a large area around their airfields so they can operate without being in contact with Southend. The Map the CAA showed does,nt show these so maybe nearer the date a better map will come out..

I wondering about the Paramotor flyers, i have seen a few of these flying around the area..

trevor

GTSKD

Comment

Trevor Sexton wrote:

I wondering about the Paramotor flyers, i have seen a few of these flying around the area..
                    AIUI the airprox investigaton exonerated the paramotor pilot.

The paramotor pilots are aware of the issue.

Comment

The contacts that I have in the Paramotor world tell me that one of their favored cross countries is from Mersey Island to a field in the Burham area skirting the Bradwell exclusion zone, they are a great bunch of guys, but there seems to be little in the way of good comunication to them.

I'm pleased that the paramotor pilot over St Marys marsh was cleared, he had every right to be there and it's good to see confirmation of the fact.

The last couple of times that I have been to Stowe Maries they have asked me to talk to Southend, just to be good neighbours, it seems a sensible viewpoint.

Comment

was in the garden most of last sunday, just outside the RMZ, usually there is a steady stream of GA and microlights from 10am till late, but this week, very little traffic, and what there was looked to be GA stuff on radials to/from southend. i know its only one day, but makes you wonder where all the traffics gone.

Comment

Flying down to France on Saturday, and back on Sunday, was the first time I have been affected by this RMZ. They are certainly on the ball and protective of thier new rights as since I was on mode S they could see me and knew my callsign. As I was approaching the zone they preempted my call and called me, asking my intentions. I took thier basic service, which was of zero interest to me, and just increased my workload for the period that I was inside their zone. I dont get it. Why do they need such a large zone, extending right down to ground level?

Comment

Answer, they don't but like other airports with ambitions thay are hogs. As the requirement is only that you establish two way comunication I have taken to doing little more than that.
                            eg
                            Southend Radar GMVDF, Acknowledgement, G-MVDF en-route Rayne to Stoke presently east abeam Chelmsford at 2300' QNH 1016 no service required remaining on frequency, Aknowledgement.

Later

Southend Radar G-MVDF, Acknowlegement, GMVDF decending into Stoke LFZ changing to Stoke frequency good day.

it works for me

Comment

Working...
                            X