Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southend Controlled Airspace...

...has been approved

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2111/20150128%20Southend%20ACP%20Decision%20Letter%20v6 .pdf

(I cant seem to make this a proper link - sorry)
    Martin Watson
    Microlights in Norfolk
    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
    07805 716407

Southend Controlled Airspace...

It's the spaces in the URL that mess up the forum software. TinyURL solves the problem:
    http://tinyurl.com/SEndClassG

That's very disappointing, but at least the objections have encouraged them to give up some of the excess they'd asked for (to make us thankful that it's not as bad as feared). They appear to have allowed Saxon Microlights main upper air exercise area to remain as class G so that's something, I suppose.

Maybe somebody with more spare time than I could make an FOI request to get details of the RMZ infringements and non-radar-visible slow traffic used by Southend to justify the Class G {{correction: class D, as pointed out by others - thanks}} introduction.

How long, I wonder, before the whole Southeast is a TMZ?

Joan

[sub]Edit: minor formating change only + correction to my error re class D

Comment

That's going to make instructing at Stoke a bit fiddly! I bet 'Slip' is not impressed :-)

Although I'm sure there will be a reasonable agreement in place.

Comment

Joan Walsh wrote:
        Maybe somebody with more spare time than I could make an FOI request to get details of the RMZ infringements and non-radar-visible slow traffic used by Southend to justify the Class G introduction.
        Class D?

When the FoI request has been made, if successful, the information received is exactly the sort of thing we need to put into FASVIG.

Is Norwich a subject for FASVIG too?

Comment

Joan

I think your second reference to Class G should have been Class D!

Here's an interesting point raised in the SARG letter:

"Additionally, whilst the need for a Class D CTR is recognised by the CAA, the extra complexity of a Class D CTR combined with a Class G RMZ/TMZ and the difference in requirements for each was considered likely to be a cause of more infringements rather than a means to reduce them". Very interesting. That's precisely what was implemented at Stansted. So the CAA have implemented a scheme there which by their own admission would be likely to cause infringements.

There is no mention of the Stoke Local Flying Area being carried over into this scheme once the RMZ disappears. I'm sure we will all be interested to see how much freedom of movement Stoke can retain for their activities, and I look forward to a properly defined drawing of all of this new airspace. It does look as if with care we can once again fly along the south bank of the River Blackwater unencumbered by the need to speak to Southend.

Well we lost this one, perhaps we can look forward to regaining our airspace when the CAA review the Norwich operations!

Alan

Comment

I studied the four plans attached to the CAA letter referred to by Geoff. The idea was to compare before and after sizes and then the RMZ 'trial' zone too.

The CAA are telling lies.

Their plan, described as 'Pre-consultation' implies that was the old original zone, put that way it looks as if there's only been a minor change to the zone old versus new.
            This is blatant if not careless bias by the CAA. Their so-called 'Pre-Consultation' plan is the big one initially claimed by S'end and NOT the original zone.
            Also observe how their new zone drawing happens to miss out depicting all the aerodromes closely affected.
            Nor to they address GA permanently suffering the dangers of the pinch effect now promulgated between London & S'end

Neither do they show the RMZ, temporarily tried. but shot down - and by whom ?
            Well purely on the say so of who else but S'end themselves ! With no-one else in the loop at this phase to challenge it.[orange] [/orange][/b][3] [/3]

Here's the true original Zone. quite a bit smaller !

mike hallam

Attached files

Comment

They used to have a larger oval zone before reverting to a regular atz, didn't they?

Comment

Andy Fell wrote: They used to have a larger oval zone before reverting to a regular atz, didn't they?
                Yup, this thread gives a bit of the history: http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=69&m=129046
                Look for the attachment in Martin's post at 15/10/2013 6:54 PM

Joan

Comment

I was flying in the vicinity of Southend's CTA yesterday and thought to look at my Aware, which has an old chart but current (April '15) airspace updates. I didn't take time to look carefully 'cos I'm more interested in what's outside, but didn't see any sign of the CTA boundary. I was at 3000' so the largest of the CTA areas should show. The CTR boundary is clearly visible.

Before I get onto Airbox, has anybody else in the Essex/Kent area checked this?

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan

I have an Aware5 which appears to work somewhat differently from my original aware unit, and I have uploaded the most recent airspace update to it, but it shows no details of the new Southend airspace when on the ground and with a valid GPS signal. Like you it has an out of date background map without the Southend airspace, but I would have expected to see the new airspace overlay show up. Please let us know what Airbox say when you query it. I have had this sort of problem before, and suspect that the airspace doesn't show until you get close to it, which doesn't strike me as quite right.

Alan

Comment

Hi Alan,
                      The airspace should show in green at least. I was quite near (3000' overhead Ingatestone) so it should have been warning me.

I've emailed Airbox and will let you know what I get back.

Comment

I got no feedback until I complained today that I was being ignored.
                        Aha, it seems the error was corrected in the April 30th update, which I now have uploaded and behold their is Southend's class D in all its glory.

OK on your version too, Alan?

Comment

Well I don't think my Aware is working at all properly. Last time I updated it via the Fastplan facility and very strangely it now shows a background map with the Southend airspace depicted as part of of the map. I did put the Aware app on my iPad some time ago which then needed the purchase of a map, which is supported for a year, and it may be that was responsible for the up to date map appearing on my aware unit. However the airspace database is never ever shown in green outline, and only ever shows in red when within 500' vertically of controlled airspace above, or when flying into airfields with defined ATZs, or close to controlled airspace boundaries. And despite forking out for a unit upgrade to an Aware5 when my original Aware unit suffered a failing battery, the Aware5 has a very poor battery life now. So I'm not now an Aware fan. Their software has appalling configuration control, updates via the web site are confused - why is there a difference when updating direct or via Fastplan? - and I don't think I have the energy to try to get Airbox to sort it out. It's all very painful. The Aware app on the iPad was much better, but Apple in their wisdom have destroyed the GPS interface in their recent software update to IOS 8.3 so the aware app no longer works ?ith my GNS 2000 GPS receiver.

Just to round off a poor gps situation in my aircraft at the moment, the recent Garmin 296 airspace update has placed two enormous circles in their database close to Norwich, which turn out to be orbit airspace at between 27000' and 35000' feet. Very helpful!

Alan

Comment

Ah well, Alan, it seems you'll just have to get used to using paper charts again. The airspace is very clearly marked on there; on the latest version, at least :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X