Solent Collaborative Airspace Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solent Collaborative Airspace Trial

Has anyone on the BMAA side of things heard about this?

Got some info from the BGA correspondent..... looks like radio mandatory if installed.....

Attached files

No, and as somebody who flies from a field in the area, I can assure you that we were not consulted.

Comment

Copied from "Airtime".

The CAA are intending to start a trail around Solent airspace in an effort to reduce infringements. Solent was identified as one of the "hotspots" for infringement. (see
      http://www.caa.co.uk/News/Infringement-hotspots-face-big-reduction-targets )

The CAA consider that the idea of the Listening Squawk has reduced infringements so they are extending this idea and identifying an area around the Solent Zone where you should use the Southampton Listening Squawk of 0011 and listen to 120.225 MHz . Essentially this will be a "curtain" of airspace around Solent Zone where you should squawk 0011.

Full details will appear in a NOTAM before the trial starts in July but Airtime is trying to make all pilots flying from Airtime and any visitors to Airtime aware of the trial. During the trial, Airtime will be happy to give any information to based or visiting pilots.

Comment

Who are Airtime?

Comment

Perfectly happy to listen on 120.225 but not going to shell out the value of my aircraft for a transponder that I haven't any room for.

Comment

Are the BMAA on to this?

Comment

Well, how does it work in practice? This morning the Solent Radar people were rushed off their feet, treating everybody courteously and efficiently but I couldn't raise them to report Chilbolton, as asked. Repeated blind calls were not getting through and nor was the call I made upon landing at Farley. Telephones do not work at Farley. I resolved to get home and call up the tower. They called me. The signal died as the phone was answered. I pulled into a parking place and spent some time calling the number back which got me through to an answerphone which in turn directed me to to NATS security who didn't know what I was on about but gave me the number for Southampton ATC. Another answerphone. Dug through my bag and got Pooleys out. There was the number. "We've had a shift change, What was the reg.?" A voice from elsewhere in the tower said "D and D have been looking for him."
              I apologised, explained the situation and was told that it was ok, these things happened from time to time.

I think that they were simply overwhelmed with traffic, coped very well, considering but have far too much radio traffic to make it work. If it happens to you, you need to call 023 8062 5872.

Trouble is that if there is too much radio traffic, I cannot see any alternative to a transponder mandatory zone.

Comment

For those of you who are LAA members too, this has been covered in their magazine.

Gwyn Carwardine wrote: Are the BMAA on to this?
                Evidence so far seen says no. It would be nice (and less costly) to be proved wrong on this.

Comment

Airtime??
                  Old Sarum possibly
                  Flew down there on Friday from Perth a lovely flight and a very busy airfield and a nice wee cafe

Comment

NOTAM today:

B1515/16: Control area (CTA) : miscellaneous plain language

09:35 9/3/2016, NATS Briefing 1609030935 on 3rd Sep 2016 10:35

EGTT/QAEXX/IV/NBO/AE/000/055/5050N00132W023

DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGE AT SOLENT RADAR, FIS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE. MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH AND SQUAWK 0011.

TO: 03 Sep 2016 19:00 GMT (20:00 BST)

Comment

Quote from my NOTAMinfo feed:

B1639/16: Control area (CTA) : miscellaneous plain language

21:06 9/26/2016, NATS Briefing 1609270420 on 27th Sep 2016 05:21, NOTAMs for *******

EGTT/QAEXX/IV/NBO/AE/000/065/5050N00132W023

WITHDRAW AIC Y 061/2016, SFC/FL065. COLLABORATIVE AIRSPACE TRIAL IN THE VCY OF THE SOUTHAMPTON CTR AND SOLENT CTA HAS BEEN TERMINATED. 2016-07-0060/AS6

TO: 16 Oct 2016 23:59 GMT (17 Oct 00:59 BST)

Looks like the trial is over. Has it been terminated early? Do we know why? Was extra workload on controllers an issue?

Comment

It was to run until the 16th October.

Comment

If they do not have the resources to control a larger parcel of airspace, will they leave us alone or impose a TMZ because an RMZ clearly doesn't work. I am suspicious about finishing the trial early. Did it prevent infringements?
                          If yes, keep it. If no, do something else. The present situation being apparently unacceptable to them you can guess what happens next.
                          Perhaps they should consider a SMALLER CTA to give the other traffic some breathing space.
                          Perhaps Roughay, Colemore Common and Farley Farm ought to push for an airspace grab each. I expect that they would be allowed to do so as there is apparently not enough space available to prevent infringements.

Comment

Apparently the trial was terminated due to "significant staff sickness".

Comment

Sorry to hear that staff are unwell but this calls into question their ability to work any more airspace with their resources. It was not the fault of ATC that it was a right old fiasco. It just wasn't a very good idea in the first place and imposing it without notice or consultation made it look as though it was designed to fail.

Comment

Working...
                              X