Propellerhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propellerhead

Cant believe that Propellerhead - Anthoney Woodward is not here! bring back Lift Girl! Was it Willy Knowles Thrasher? Amazon usually has a old copy ;-)

Propellerhead

Brilliant book enjoyed it all ( several times)

Ginge

Comment

Propellerhead

Yeah - the best 99p I ever spent on ebay. One of the thrashers cited in the book is sat rotting at Redlands airfield - next to the x runway - I taxi past her each time I fly and think of the adventures it must have ( endured) enjoyed .....

Comment

Propellerhead

I took my old copy with me on holiday recently to read again. Fantastic book which I find inspirational every time I read it. I first read it when I started flying around ten years ago and it still makes me smile when I read the adventures of the old 'thrasher'!

Comment

Propellerhead

Any photos of the Thrasher at Redlands?

Comment

Propellerhead

I'll see if I can take a snap when Im next at the a/f - a guy called Clive Bunce ( ex BMAA council member and proprietor of Dude paramotors in Wiltshite owns her ) - such a shame that she's just been left to the elements...She was a ' gate guard' situated next to he main black hanger when i first went to reds...but was moved ( dragged !) in the last year. I seem to recall you may even spot her on google.

I just recall the last couple of pages in the book when he flies above the clouds with the lift girl - with the setting sun and all its amazing coulours as a back drop....awesome !

Made me realise just how truly amazing our ability to fly machines and see such things is....and thankful that I , also, have been blessed with the means to do so....

Comment

Propellerhead

Interestingly I've not heard a modern Thruster pilot refer to them as Thrasher - to disrespectful a moniker, I suspect. ;-)

Joan

Comment

Propellerhead

Think of it as a pet name!

Comment

Propellerhead

Yes, pretty sure the Thruster guru in Somerset was Willy Knowles.

Smashing book.

Comment

Propellerhead

Russ wrote:
                    Yeah - the best 99p I ever spent on ebay. One of the thrashers cited in the book is sat rotting at Redlands airfield - next to the x runway - I taxi past her each time I fly and think of the adventures it must have ( endured) enjoyed .....
                    It does seem a terrible waste, a few years back it was completly restored by Mark Jones and looked very nice indeed

Ginge

Comment

Propellerhead

The term 'Thrasher' is a bit dated now Joan. In my earlier years, the term was not derogatory at all. Going for a 'thrash' was how we used to refer to going for an enjoyable but fast ride on a motorbike, usually - a ride that would leave one with a warm glow, provided that you stayed on. therefore a 'Thrasher' was a machine capable of delivering such pleasures. Another term was to 'thrape', as in 'He came thraping past me' - but perhaps we shouldn't revive that one....

We did of course, as Thruster Bulletin subscribers all know, review 'Proppellerhead' in the Bulletin a year or more ago and also did an in depth interview with Anthony Woodward, which was re-printed in 'Microlight Flying'.

Comment

Propellerhead

Just read it after receiving it as a secret santa Christmas present last week. I couldn't put it down!!!

Comment

Propellerhead

Just reading it for a second time, absolutley brilliantly written, a must for anyone starting out in flying. It lets you know you are not the only one out there that has problems and the euphoric feeling you can get when it all goes well.

Comment

Propellerhead

Is it available in the library

Comment

Propellerhead

Hi Dai, PM me your address and I'll pop it in for you to borrow when I've finished reading it.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                              X