Small acts of kindness...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small acts of kindness...

I tried to start a thread (here) for people to record the little things that microlighters do to make life better for others, but the idea fell on stony ground, so to speak.

Here's a second go for contributors to record nice things they've seen other microlighters do for others, non-microlighters or non-flyers, with no thought of reward for themselves. I'm not looking for fund-raising which gets plenty of coverage on here, or charitable work which anybody could do, but for small acts of kindness done by a microlight pilot, as a microlight pilot, for someone who isn't.

Anybody want to kick it off?

Joan

We seem to be a churlish, uncharitable bunch Joan, but don't despair ? I've seen lots of people turn up for a nosey at what's going on at a microlight strip only to find themselves taken for a (free !!) flight in one shortly afterwards. I have also experienced the unsolicited use of a car to go for petrol in the boondocks, help with repairs well beyond the call of duty and have strangers sit for hours drinking duff coffee with me until the weather clears

The old joke about how you know a pilot is in the room (He/She'll tell you) rings true too, but I know of so many conversations like that which end up in a flight for someone

We tried to help with a Primary school teacher whose kids wanted to go flying as they saw us go over their schoolyard from time to time , but sadly once the HSE / Litigation wet blanket police got involved that was kyboshed. We're looking at ways to resolve that. I also have a microlighting friend up here who flies, drives for miles to help out anyone with a techy problem, although he wouldn't thank me for naming him on here ;-)

Comment

Thanks Graham,
      So our charity (other than fund-raising) extends no further than the odd freeby flight and a helping hand or petrol run for other microlighters? That seems to be keeping it very much in the family. It's good to now it extends that far at least
      [IMG]/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Dunno Joan, that small contribution might not be truly representative of the generosity and charity of all microlighters, maybe just up here in tight Jockland ? ;-)

Comment

helicopter diverted to my home airfield due to bad weather three weeks ago. I drove them to Stapleford some 28 miles away along the m25.
          no cash accepted. does that count?

regards

wayne

Comment

Wayne, yup. Though maybe someone might argue that you deprived a taxi driver of the work :-)

Comment

Multiply these simple, random acts by as many microlighters as you know Joan and it adds (?) up to a big contribution to getting and keeping us in the air ?

You could fill your microlight with petrol for 28 miles in a taxi up here ......... :-)

Comment

I presume that when Wayne said 'them' in his post he wasn't referring to road transport for the helicopter, and maybe a helped helicopter pilot and passenger(s) will help someone else down the line thus passing on the charitable act beyond the microlight community.

Anyway, good on ya Wayne.

Comment

Joan,
                  I think the lack of posts on the previous thread is not down to the fact that these acts of kindness are not occurring, rather that those helpful generous types are usually modest as well, and hesitant to blow their own trumpets. For stories of help from microlighters that extend beyond the microlight world, I think we would need some non-microlighters on here and how likely is that on a microlight forum? For my part, I try to help others whenever I can. In the context of flying, this tends to be the occasional run for fuel/food, but I have taken many first timers up, and have taken requests for aerial photos (unpaid of course!). I find that other microlighters are generally just as eager to help, and I have been given lifts for fuel, free tech advice (and sometimes the offer of aircraft bits!), plied with cups of tea, and I once was handed a bridie just after landing at an airfield and finding the cafe closed. Another time, not long after an engine rebuild I was running a bit rich, and was caught a bit short on the fuel situation. A very kind fellow gave me a jerrycan of fuel to assist. As I flew away, I realised that I didn't even know his name! I did manage to track him down and pay him back later, but the immediate offer of help to a stranger (albeit one with a common interest) was appreciated.
                  David.

Comment

David, you're dead right we can't expect non-microlighting recipients of little acts of kindfness to seek out this forum. Nor would we expect people to blow their own trumpets. I was just wondering if some of our number might blow someone else's trumpet for them. Maybe its so simple that we don't even think of it.

Semi-fictional examples: "microlight pilot helps skydiver find lost parachute"; "microlight pilot finds stolen caravan"; "microlight pilot alerts farmer to barn fire"; "Jim rescues bogged-in car in country lane when he was on the way to microlight airfield and misses flying opportunity as a result"...

Any real ones anyone knows of - no names, no pack drill, to save embarrassment?
                    Joan

[/b] it
                    :-)

Comment

Joan, yes passengers.

At my field, one of the poly hangars blew way, and both Keven Gaffney and Ben Killick turned up and helped the owner rebuild the hangar over a couple of weekends amish style.

Regards

Comment

Joan, yes passengers.

At my field, one of the poly hangars blew way, and both Keven Gaffney and Ben Killick turned up and helped the owner rebuild the hangar over a couple of weekends amish style.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                        X