Closure of forum to non members.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closure of forum to non members.

This decision has been almost unanimously condemmned in a rare demonstration of forum unity. The only way it can be challenged is to have the written support of ten per cen of the membership and submit a proposal to Council. This in turn means that there is no quick way of curing this outbreak of stupidity so I shall write to the editor of the magazine asking for leave to publish the proposal there and raose the necessary support.

Google forms has facility to gather names and membership numbers.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Tom,

May I ask what you are requiring 10% of members for?

Under the Articles the 5% rule in Article 32 is for calling a general meeting of the company which I think is probably a little more severe than you intend and would come with the associated costs of postal notifications and potential costs of hiring a venue. I am in no way trying to stop you but the only 5% under our Articles is for calling a general meeting where a motion from the floor could be put forward and voted on by the members.

Unless that is your intent with asking for 10% I think you are looking for a sizable membership support for a representation to the board to change their decision. This owuld not be under the Articles or binding on the council but would provide you with a very strong voice to council in opposition to the decision.

If it is the latter then as John suggests google forms will probably suit your needs to gather quickly names and membership numbers to support a representation to council.

However, if its the former and you are looking to call a general meeting then please note that under the Articles its a written request from at least 5% of the membership and I would ask that this not be by google forms or by electronic gathering but by a collection of signed written consents from the members calling for the meeting.

And to forestall questions on the 10% written into the Rules of the association being different to the 5% in the Articles I have listed above it is one of the areas I am looking at on review of the Articles and Rules in my role on Council looking after the Articles and Rules - it is an area of conflict where I believe there is a drafting error.

However, basic rule is that the Articles that allow the creation of the Rules take precedence in conflict so please aim for 5% of members by written notice if you want to call a general meeting to put a motion to the council on this area.

Thank you.

Comment

No not at all.

Council decisions are just that - the decision of the Council acting as a whole. Individual council members voting is not the issue - it is in effect a corporate vote and once passed the council members are bound by it.

For me I have not agreed with all votes taken at boards I am and have been members of over the years but I accept that its part and parcel of being a board member that a decision in a closed meeting is to be adhered to if I am to remain on the board.

If I cannot accept a board decision that has been duly passed my position has always been that my options are limited to then resign from the board if I feel it is of such significance. For information I've done that once in the past on a board and similarly I've resigned from 1 job and handed back an inspection authority I held due to personal conflict with decisions made.

In the case of the decision to close the BMAA forum to posting by non-members I stand by the vote.

Comment

Kirk Sutton wrote:

In the case of the decision to close the BMAA forum to posting by non-members I stand by the vote.
            Kirk, when will this new rule be put into force ?

Comment

Bill Scott wrote:
              Originally posted by Kirk Sutton

Kirk, when will this new rule be put into force ?
              Following the note from David B the restriction is being implemented now. It will take a few days for the complete forum membership to be reduced to post only by bmaa member so non-members have already been progressively removed posting access and will retain read only access to the public section.

Comment

Pathetic decision showing ignorance of what the forum users want and voted on by non users of the forum as it seems not all committee members even use it. A bit like moving in next to a farm and then complaint about the smell, or buying a house near an airfield and then complaint about aircraft. On something as important as this it should have been voted on by forum users only and the committee then would do as was decided. But what do I know, I only use the forum and pay for it within my subscription so why should I be allowed to have any say in how it's run?
                Graham Jefferies
                BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Kirk Sutton wrote:
                  No not at all.

Council decisions are just that - the decision of the Council acting as a whole. Individual council members voting is not the issue - it is in effect a corporate vote and once passed the council members are bound by it.

For me I have not agreed with all votes taken at boards I am and have been members of over the years but I accept that its part and parcel of being a board member that a decision in a closed meeting is to be adhered to if I am to remain on the board.

If I cannot accept a board decision that has been duly passed my position has always been that my options are limited to then resign from the board if I feel it is of such significance. For information I've done that once in the past on a board and similarly I've resigned from 1 job and handed back an inspection authority I held due to personal conflict with decisions made.

all very commendable Kirk but what people are simply wanting to know is who proposed the change and for what reasons.. not difficult questions.

Comment

It should be publised in the Council minutes in the next MF.

Steve Girling wrote:
                    :blush: Still no answer as to who raised this and voted for it........are some of the council ashamed to admit it :blush:

Comment

Terry Viner wrote: It should be publised in the Council minutes in the next MF.

Originally posted by Steve Girling
                      :blush: Still no answer as to who raised this and voted for it........are some of the council ashamed to admit it :blush:
                      The answer is already out there on another UK Microlighting website.
                      subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

Comment

Oh good.

Where?

Comment

Hi BJ,

The allegation is made here.

Kirk, did you take the proposal to a vote? i'm just asking.

Comment

Steve Uzochukwu wrote: Hi BJ,

The allegation is made here.

Kirk, did you take the proposal to a vote? i'm just asking.
                            The council discussions and decisions are confidential - always have been before you ask, its not a new thing to try and lock out members.

The decision is one of council and has been put into effect so by deduction a proposal was put to council, discussed, taken to a vote and passed or we would not be having this discussion.

Personally I am not adverse to council discussions in part being opened to membership and where a matter before council is not confidential I have no issue with my voting being clear to members but that will require change to the long standing process of council.

So until council changes its policy I will not break the confidentially that has been agreed for council discussions.

Comment

Kirk Sutton wrote:
                              So until council changes its policy I will not break the confidentially that has been agreed for council discussions.
                              Fair enough. Thanks for a direct and honest reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X