Closure of forum to non members.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirk Sutton wrote: Worth a look - I've been using them in the office for years as well and they can really be useful in same cases - unless you need to see the whites of their eyes :lol:

As for Skype - brilliant, use it regularly at home but in a conference situation where there is a large environment and/or people sitting around a table (like at a board meeting) or multiple dail-ins skype fairly quickly runs into its limitation ... and full AV room setups that I have paid for and run in businesses for years are not within the finances of the BMAA in terms of payback for the outlay and operational costs ... a polycom video unit is thousands of pounds and you need one at each node of the call ...

Originally posted by Dominic Connolly
    Why don't you look at getting a Polycom for the conference room, I've been using them for over 20 years. Council members can then call in remotely or even better skype in via their laptop with a headset while multi-tasking. I would have thought it would pay for itself within 1 year with the savings in allowable expenses.

www.polycom.co.uk/products-services/voice/conferencing-solutions/conferencing-phones.html
    I wouldn't have thought you need a full AV solution, just audio. There nothing stopping you using VOIP at home to dial up the polycom number is there? I'm not suggesting skype at the conference room end is a good idea at all, just at the other end.
    subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

Comment

The Polycom boxes are pretty cheap - I bought a v2 one for home recently - 100 on ebay (the v1 boxes are not as good but you can have my old one for free if you want!)
      And then you can use somehting like this www.conferencegenie.co.uk/pricing.php for the conference dial in (or ask me nicely and I'll lend you mine!). Yes it's 2.50 an hour per remote delegate (plus an extra delegate for the meetiing room itself) but how much do you save on mileage expenses? An hour's call is the requivalent of a 6 mile expensed round trip! In the real commercial world we use these services daily for remote meetings and it's never as good as face to face but better than not being present at all.

Comment

It's a bit of a moot point in this context chaps. Two council members were not fit to attend in any capacity - and the other was busy with business. And as two would almost definitely have voted for the proposal, it would have made no difference anyway.

personally I hate Skype and the like, its a very poor substitute for face to face and diminishes in proportion to the number of participants in the meeting. Body language is huge part of gauging sincerity and Intent, and in a situation where discussion and opinion forming is the game, remote attendance is very inefficient. We can for instance argue for weeks on some silly pojnt on a forum, which would be cleared up to everyone's satisfaction in five mins down the pub face to face.

We have meetings only every six weeks or so, that's the minimum face to face we can get by with IMHO.

it might be of some use between meetings, but I wouldn't like to see it replace the six weekly face to face meetings.

Paul

Comment

It must be worth discussing as a back up, particularly for use during the winter months There is a big difference in feeling well enough to do an 8 hour round trip plus the meeting itself and being able to call in from the comfort of one's home and not even have to step outside.
          subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

Comment

Hi

Do you need to be a member of bmaa or just a member of forum to see the topics above the general section? I am trying to get a grip for the forum and that section seems closed to me?

Am I having a blonde moment or something?

Carolyn

Comment

Caz Dean wrote:

Do you need to be a member of bmaa or just a member of forum to see the topics above the general section? I am trying to get a grip for the forum and that section seems closed to me?
              Hi Caz,

There are two forums you need to be a BMAA member to view. You will only get access to these if you provide a BMAA member number to me for checking.

Comment

Steve, if im right you only have to be a member to view the members section, (the top two). the rest you only need to register on the forum.

TV

Comment

Hi Terry,

This is correct, forum registration and approval are needed to get onto the forum to post, and a BMAA membership and further approval are needed to view BMAA Members Only Section/sub forums.

That section is described as:

BMAA Members Only : Contains forums for BMAA members, which require administrative approval to join

Comment

Working...
                  X