• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing the number of BMAA Members

Exellent idea, Well done that man!!!

Comment

RogerB

Here's another radical idea - why doesn't the BMAA pay intructors a 100 for every student that passes their test?

After all, if we don't teach the students, there will be no members!

And if the BMAA is to collect 57 a year for x years from new pilots, then that has to be worth something.

Ooops. I forgot. The BMAA has already proposed this, except that it is a tenner and not limited to instructors. Anyone who introduces a new member can get a tenner.

Apart from anything else, I think taxing schools is unworkable. No-one but me knows how many trial flights we do - and my annual plea on the instructors' egroup to ask if people have sold more or less trial flights this year always goes unheeded.

Another thought.

I had a chap from Bristol phone me in Scotland to look for lessons. His schools said they were booked until October!

If that is the case then we simply need more instructors to teach more students. And from personal experience that means they need to earn more money - not pay more "taxes@.

very best wishes,

Colin

Comment

I live in the extreme north of Scotland and I had to travel to Rufforth (600 miles) to revalidate to microlight rating. The far north is crying out to have microlight school in this area - and I could get a grant to set it up. I would love to do the instructors course but would be prohibited from setting up initially as there would be no CFI in attendance. We have a massive empty WW2 hangar waiting for a fleet of microlights! There is nowhere else in the UK where flying is so free and uncluttered.

Comment

Bill,

John Bain used to teach at Wick, and there was someone else taught down at Peterhead way.

I suspect why both don't operate any more is that the catchment areas are somewhat limited! After all, there are only fish for 180 degrees around.

OK, you had to go as far as Rufforth to revalidate.

Just wait until you are an instructor! I have had to go to Sywell, Enstone, Portugal, York and Preston. All, apart from York, involved an overnight stay at least.

As for getting AFI experience. Well, Marcus had to go to Sywell to get his AFI experience, so I am afraid you are not alone in having to travel if you decide that route.

It is your choice. You can be in a place with cheap housing and massive cheap empty hangers - but no instructors to help you. or you can be in a populous part of the country with expensive housing, no hangerage for love or money and a choice of flying schools within an hour's drive!

If you wanted to be a doctor, dentist, etc you would have to travel to where the training was. Flying is no different.

very best wishes,

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin, I know that you have chosen to make a living out of microlighting and I know it'll probably upset others who do but the system has I think been corrupted from the original vision that led the CAA to allow non commercial rated instructors. Look at the BGA who have many instructors operating through clubs affiliated to themselves. I think that the BPA have similar "tax"

Comment

Hi RogerB,

Actually, most of the microlight rules go back to the mid-1980s when in the rush to introduce legislation after - if I recall correctly - the death of an MP's daughter, most of the Group A stuff was copied.

Now, it so happens that in those days a PPL (A) could do an instructor course and become a paid-for instructor. No CPL or ATPL. That then changed and now with Euro-stuff you need a full CPL.

However, this is causing a problem for our colleagues in light aircraft land since their instructors won't work for a tenner a flying hour if they get offered even a Ryanair job.

Hence the latest CAA missive - www.caa.co.uk/docs/137/Instructor%20Shortages.pdf - which says they are now looking at going back to light aircraft instructors who don't have a CPL.

I am sure they, like me, will still be commercial in that what they earn pays to feed the family!

At first, they are looking at non-CPL instructors for NPPL (SSEA), then perhaps introduce a Euro leisure pilot's licence. By doing it as a national/continental licence, they don't have to stick with the global ICAO CPL requirement.

In tandem, there is also a look at the use of non-licensed airfields for ab initio light aircraft training - which might reduce the airfield overheads and thus help to keep lesson costs down.

All in all, fairly major revamp of the system going ahead, especially following SSDR.

Makes it interesting if planning to invest in, say a 67,000 Dynamic microlight for training if in a few years (possibly before you have got your money back!) the local GA field cuts its costs for landing fees because it has gone unlicenced and the GA instructors haven't spend 60k on a CPL that they need to earn back!

But that's what being entrepreurial is about! (note, not commercial!)

ps. As for voluntary work, I would, I admit, be making far more money still working as a journalist and just doing the odd evening and weekend as an instructor. But then there would be one less airfield in Scotland and two other people not working as instructors either!

Feel free to get your training and come and work as a volunteer at Strathaven. I will find plenty of students for you who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford to fly, so I won't be taking anything away from my business - or making any profit from your work. (people like Scouts and university students, for instance. There's even a local single mum who is deaf and has had to give up her lessons since her husband walked out).

Comment

Hi Peter,

Can't get link to work, although I copies it direct from the page header on another screen!

Here is the text: oops, can';t get that to work.

Well, here a short link. Have checked this! So I am not dreaming!

http://tinyurl.com/32yyyu

Very best,

Colin

Comment

[quote=Colin_MacKinnon]

RogerB

Here's another radical idea - why doesn't the BMAA pay intructors a 100 for every student that passes their test?

Here's an even more radical idea...
                  "In 1998 the RAC bought BSM and integrated it into its Consumer and Business Services Divisions"... (from this page)
                  Maybe the BMAA should follow its example and set up its own national chain of microlight schools paying such good rates to its staff that they can choose the best to work for them. :smilewinkgrin:
                  "Learn to fly with BSM: the British School of Microlighting!" :smurf: Joan

Comment

Why not move the BMAA "Telford International Air Sports Exhibition" around the country a bit ? Much as I like Shropshire, perhaps getting microlighting "on the road" could be fun ?

Comment

Yep, I vote for Wick!!!!!!

Comment

No time warp Peter. I was referring to the overall principle of the BMAA perhaps thinking about the rest of the country outside the West Midlands being interested in microlighting or made more aware of it. Last time I drove there, the NEC was a shortish drive from Telford (shite M54 and M6 Motorway traffic permitting)

Graham

Comment

Graham,

It has been at the NEC for two years, and the NEC is a far better venue.

Quite simply, don't drive. take the train or fly. From Scotland, at the moment, flights with FlyBE are free (plus taxes, charges, laundry, etc etc) but you can get down and back in a day, so no money spent on overnight beer!

Very best,

Colin

ps. I don't care about geographical centres, it is about how handy to get there that counts. NEC is about tops. As for Turdweston - PFA HQ - that involved flight, train and a lift for a seminar there, plus an overnight afterwards. At least Banbury has a train station!

Comment

Joan wrote:

Here's an even more radical idea...
                            "In 1998 the RAC bought BSM and integrated it into its Consumer and Business Services Divisions"... (from this page)
                            Maybe the BMAA should follow its example and set up its own national chain of microlight schools paying such good rates to its staff that they can choose the best to work for them.
                            "Learn to fly with BSM: the British School of Microlighting!"
                            Joan

Joan,

You've got my vote for council.

You should be serious. Argyll and Bute Council have spent 8.5 million on Connel, Coll, and Colonsay airfields to launch - they hope - a sheduled service from Connel to the two island (combined population less than 500 people.

Each licences airfield needs proper fire cover etc etc. I believe Oban now has a staff of more than 12!

I quite fancy a good pension, paternity leave, a euro-compliant 35-hour working week, etc etc.

If the BMAA set up these schools it could then start applying for lottery, sports council and charitable trust money to help subsidise them. Then we wouldn't need to work so hard to make ends meet!

Of course, no-one has set up a national chain of flying schools - there isn't the money in it!

BSM - which is a franchise thingy - give you a new car every six months and don't pay you for the first 15 hours of lessons a week. When you take into account that you have to drive to and from your lessons, that is 22.5hrs a week you work for them. For a 35 hour week, you then have 12.5 working hours which would give you about 9 chargeable hours - 9 x 23 equals 207 a week - excepting holidays, Xmas etc of course.

And then there are the cancellations, the paperwork that has to be done etc etc etc.

So, P&M might do nicely with new GT450s every six months, but on reflection I'd still be working lots more than the standard week!

Very best wishes,

ps. I still think the BMAA should copy the Gliding people and sell gift vouchers. I wouldn't mind paying that "trial flight" tax to the BMAA instead of to the Red Letter day types!

Comment

Hi Colin, I personally gave up the trial flights from the large companies before the big red collapse. I do not use them now and object to them in principle. I find it laughable that unattached companies can set up schemes whereby they can earn as much from a flight as a school by pushing a pen as the overburdened school. Of course the BMAA should earn this money. It,s not that difficult to generate your own flights with a little thought and time. Hope the Scottish weather is looking after you, Chris. aaa-microlight.co.uk

Comment

Car rear window stickers as advertised in the "Microshop" should be dished out free to members. Some passer by may take notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X