Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increasing the number of BMAA Members

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Increasing the number of BMAA Members

    I understand that the PFA require every Member of PFA Permit syndicated aircraft be Members of the PFA.

    Could I propose that BMAA rules be amended so that every Member of a BMAA syndicate aircraft is required to become a BMAA Member. I understand that at the moment BMAA Membership can only be encouraged, not mandated but perhaps the rules can be looked at?

    Large groups are proliferating around the country taking advantage of low cost high performance hot ships and a number of these groups have large numbers of SEP pilots who have morphed over to the dark side but are not contributing to the very Organisation that is enabling them to fly faster and cheap(er) !!

    Tony
    Streaking - It was good for me..............


  • #2
    Increasing the number of BMAA Members

    This would require a proposal at the AGM Tony.

    You up for that?

    Comment


    • #3
      Increasing the number of BMAA Members

      Hello Jeremy and Rick,
      My two'penny worth on this, is somewhere in the middle perhaps, but as I remember it, when I was an examiner this was bestowed on you by the CAA along with the logbook rubber stamp... I remember feeling expected to check and stamp the logbook of anyone holding a CAA licence; I think I did it once for a 747 captain, though he flew a trike too, still does as it happens.
      But while I have been out of things for too many years, it sounds like from what you say Rick, that the BMAA now administers examiners as being their own... except probably still only on behalf of the CAA, which might make trying cut out selected CAA licence holders a little questionable?
      Just my thoughts,
      Mark P..........

      Comment


      • #4
        Increasing the number of BMAA Members

        Cyberstitch (1595) wrote:
        This would require a proposal at the AGM Tony.

        You up for that?
        Yes

        I am in a 16 syndicate of a CT2K and not all of us have come via a BMAA route - some of the Members have come from SEP background and have no allegiance or understanding of the BMAA and what it has done to make flying such a machine so affordable. I made the proposal in our first meeting that all syndicate Members should join the BMAA but the Chairman said that he could only recommend it, not mandate it.

        I am not looking to increase the flying costs of my group members but I guess that such syndicates are sprouting up all over the UK -there are three large syndicates at Barton - two C42's and a CT2K which potentially could amount to at least a dozen if not more new Members from just one airfield. Without the support of all syndicate Members the BMAA is doing a great job for no benefit and any benefit gained, will, in the long run, benefit all of those syndicate Members anyway.

        This is not about competing with the PFA - this is just about ensuring that everyone who benefits from BMAA resources, contributes back to the BMAA Membership fund.
        Streaking - It was good for me..............

        Comment


        • #5
          Increasing the number of BMAA Members

          Hi Rick - I have no axe to grind over this but let me give you an example of one of our syndicate. They have joined this group because their previous C150 group was a CofA aircraft and had inherently greater operating costs and less performance than they get now.
          The only reason that they can fly the CT so relatively cheaper is because it operates on a BMAA Permit.
          It really has nothing to do with them having one quarter, one sixth or one sixteenth of the enjoyment - it is about having access to relatively cheap to operate modern bits of kit and not recognising and contributing to the organisation that made it possible for that aircraft to fly in the UK.
          I don't think it is right that only one person in the syndicate need be a BMAA Member when all sixteen derive benefit gained through the BMAA from the very fact that the aircraft is flying in the UK.
          Streaking - It was good for me..............

          Comment


          • #6
            Increasing the number of BMAA Members

            As it happens Andy - I'm not adding anymore to this. I thought it was a common sense point - it seemingly isn't - so I will withdraw from the debate.
            Streaking - It was good for me..............

            Comment


            • #7
              Increasing the number of BMAA Members

              Andy Turner wrote:
              It has been said that it is these type of discussions that often put off new members
              New members are the future of any organisation, and not to consider where they will come from is foolhardy.
              Andy, if you believe in what "has been said" then have the courage of your convictions and say so. Don't hide behind such a weak wishy washy comment. And Tony, why are you withdrawing from the debate just because someone disagrees with you? Good grief, what a bunch of wimps. What is the BMAA coming to? :devil:

              Reminds me of a joke: my mate (hopefully there will still be one left after this post) asked me if I was a man or a mouse. A man I replied proudly - my wife is afraid of mice.

              (Name and address withheld for obvious reasons. )

              Comment


              • #8
                Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                I am withdrawing simply because I have made my point - I am not on the Council and I have said everything I need to and can do about this.
                Streaking - It was good for me..............

                Comment


                • #9
                  Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                  Rick,

                  I don't totally agree with you here. I personally don't care if there is a bit of cross subsidisation going on. I'm a BMAA member because I care about microlights and just because I might never personally submit a mod it doesn't mean I don't like to see it financially feasible for other members to do so. Equally, I don't enter competitions and am never likely to do so, but I'm happy to see a bit of my subscription being used for that because I think our sport is the richer for it.

                  I'm a cost accountant and spent my life analysing costs and revenues. I'd like to see our BMAA employees and council members focussing on real issues. Yes, we want more members, but having a detailed understanding of our cost breakdown won't help. Cost analysis and cost based pricing won't necessarily pull in more members, but real initiatives like BJ's Spamfield will.

                  I would hope that our CE and our treasurer have a broad handle on where our money is coming from and how it is being spent. I'm sure they have. As for the policy as to what they want to spend the money on, I trust the judgement of our council members - that is why I voted for them.

                  Good financial discipline has its place - but it is not the reason for our existence.

                  Paul

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                    Jeremy wrote:
                    The question then is really about whether or not the BMAA wishes to encourage new microlights onto the market or not, particularly at the lower cost end.

                    Not the lower cost end admittedly, but wasn't that the justification for upping the allowable MTOW of two-seaters to 450kg? I recall being told that it was so that our designers and manufacturers could compete for the international market of an equal footing and we'd get lots of new British-designed aircraft selling all over Europe (or some such).

                    So clearly the BMAA does wish to encourage new microlights onto the market. The debate is about the method, is it not, and who pays, the association or the entrepreneur.
                    Joan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                      Jeremy wrote:
                      [snip]
                      I'm not sure that there are many British 450kg designs, even now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that there are only two British 450kg microlights, the GT450 and the Escapade. Interestingly, these both came along a long time after we got 450kg. (I know that the Thruster is British built, but it was an Australian design).

                      I don't know the design provenance of the GT450, but I thought the Escapade was derived from the Easy Raider which is a UK adaption of the American-designed Sky Raider.

                      The Thruster T600 series was completely re-engineered with only a very few shared components with previous Thruster designs. In Australia the T600s are considered as imports, so I think we can consider them as British design.

                      Is the Sherwood Ranger still available? That was going to have a 450kg version.

                      Joan

                      :smurf:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                        Yes please to electronic copy of Escapade design story, Jeremy (you have my email address).

                        Back to original thread topic:

                        Wouldn't the BMAA increase membership more successfully and within its stated aims by encouraging the availability of safe and simple designs which can be easily afforded by individual pilots, rather than by taxing syndicates?

                        Joan

                        :smurf:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                          Jeremy wrote:

                          I know the Thruster was modified a lot from the original design, so I guess it may well now count as being British, although, like many similar designs it can trace much of it's ancestry back to the US Weedhopper, I think.

                          Jeremy

                          I believe that this instance Jeremy is mistaken, although it very difficult to trace any aircraft back its origins. How far back do you go?
                          The Thruster background has been researched quite thoroughly and the conclusions are here
                          http://thrustersupport.org/21_years_partb.pdf
                          Ginge

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                            As you say back to the basic issue in question.

                            The idea of the BMAA supporting low cost aviation in way that you suggest is a good one. It brings the BMAA back firmly to dedicating itself to affordable flying. However I feel that it will raise cries of pain from some amongst us that they should be asked to pay for something that is not seen as a direct benifit to themselves.

                            Do you consider that help with intitial funding could be raised via the voluntary contribution scheme? This being added to those causes already supported in this way. Do we have any indication of the percentage of the membership that contributes in this way already and do we need to find a way to make it easier for those paying by Direct Debit to add to the basic sum on a year by year basis? This could go part of the way towards kickstarting such a scheme.

                            Never having been ashamed at stealing a good idea, do you think that first designs for such support could be selected by a design competion?

                            Of course the parameters of the scheme would need to be carefully set to avoid the danger of it being taken advantage of for developement for something that would not fall within the low cost end of the market.

                            As you say this idea presents a useful starting point for discussion

                            Ginge

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Increasing the number of BMAA Members

                              Radical idea here but what if the clubs that offer trial flights through their instructors passed over the name and address of the participant plus say 5 to the BMAA who then send out a follow up intro letter etc plus a current copy of the magazine

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X