Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MF Foundation donations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    MF Foundation donations

    Dave has a chillingly valid point. Recreational aviation is not for the young. Plenty of us took it up later in life than we would have liked because it costs a lot of money that was simply not available earlier. Sponsor a dozen kids to NPPL and how many will be able to afford to become instructors? None. Bursaries for aspiring professionals are another matter but for fun flying, sorry, this does not work.

    Comment


    • #17
      MF Foundation donations

      I wonder if the monies raised would be better spent subsidising. Instructor candidates' exam fees?

      Comment


      • #18
        MF Foundation donations

        Tom Sheppard wrote: Dave has a chillingly valid point. Recreational aviation is not for the young.
        ITYM microlighting as it currently stands is not for the young. Recreational aviation, as in HG, PG, paramotoring, powered HG and paratrikes are.

        Microlighting can be for the young if more use is made of syndication. 5k X-Air, 5 shares, 1k each. Same share of expenses, do-able. This is a lower cost for equipment than the two young people I know who've recently qualified as PG pilots have paid out.

        For two years I helped run a syndicate started by a member of this forum who donated a microlight which was then put through a permit. We wanted to raise the numbers of potential tug pilots.

        Several people who would not have tried it did. Drop out rate was high, but there were some successes.

        Whilst house prices and student loans have made significant inroads into disposable incomes, you do see young people with nice cars and motorbikes. If anything free time might be more of an issue.

        I'd caution the sport against painting itself into a corner over its own demographic.

        Comment


        • #19
          MF Foundation donations

          I think it already has. Syndicating and flying old machines is for the very few. There is a clear generation gap between the fifty somethings who do fly and the teenagers who may potentially want to. Those syndicate members each had to learn to fly.

          Comment


          • #20
            MF Foundation donations

            The Bursary has already paid an AFI's test fees. This year it has also pledged a sum towards an instructor course for a young chap.

            Comment


            • #21
              MF Foundation donations

              Geoff Weighell wrote: The Bursary has already paid an AFI's test fees. This year it has also pledged a sum towards an instructor course for a young chap.
              I think my point Geoff is if so few Members contribute voluntarily to bursary funding (through MFF etc) can it be right to take money from the Members without asking them?

              Comment


              • #22
                MF Foundation donations

                Well Rick, the members elect their representatives, the Board, to make decisions on their behalf. If the members think that encouraging young blood into flying is a poor use of funds then let them say so to their representative.
                Geoff

                Comment


                • #23
                  MF Foundation donations

                  Geoff Weighell wrote: Well Rick, the members elect their representatives, the Board, to make decisions on their behalf. If the members think that encouraging young blood into flying is a poor use of funds then let them say so to their representative.
                  Geoff
                  I think it's a poor use of funds.
                  Could you please pass this message to my representative Geoff...thanks

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    MF Foundation donations

                    How many of our current instructors started this sport in their later years?

                    If the answer is not many, then without young blood entering the sport (as so many of our current instructors were when they started) we have a problem brewing.

                    Getting even a few youngsters involved can result in significant lifelong contribution to our sport. Ask any of those pilots taught by Rob Grimwood, Dave Broom, or of course all those pilots and instructors taught by Paul Dewhurst (he was young once!).

                    Regards,
                    Paul Welsh (yet another Dewhurst trained pilot!).

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      MF Foundation donations

                      That would be best coming directly from you Dave with supporting argument and perhaps alternative suggestions.

                      Geoff

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        MF Foundation donations

                        Geoff Weighell wrote: That would be best coming directly from you Dave with supporting argument and perhaps alternative suggestions.

                        Geoff
                        I think the least we should do is to give Members an opt out of part of their subscription if they don't support the concept of bursaries.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          MF Foundation donations

                          No Rick as nowhere in my last post did I mention handing out money to fund someone else's flying expenses what I said was a budding plane owner without the necessary mechanical skills to complete a homebuild on their own could access the help of a team of more capable people ad end up with a plane ready to fly and if they (the group)ended up with the tools required to facilitate the building of more aircraft then it was a win, win situation
                          Not charity and no begging bowls in sight

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            MF Foundation donations

                            William Russell wrote: No Rick as nowhere in my last post did I mention handing out money to fund someone else's flying expenses what I said was a budding plane owner without the necessary mechanical skills to complete a homebuild on their own could access the help of a team of more capable people ad end up with a plane ready to fly and if they (the group)ended up with the tools required to facilitate the building of more aircraft then it was a win, win situation
                            Not charity and no begging bowls in sight
                            As a BMAA member, do you agree with the following William

                            "I think the least we should do is to give Members an opt out of part of their subscription if they don't support the concept of bursaries."

                            Do you think you should have the option?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              MF Foundation donations

                              An opt out on:-

                              1. Bursaries
                              2. Competition Funding
                              3. Magazine

                              Should also be given at time of subscription and appropriate discounts applied.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                MF Foundation donations

                                Do I think the BMAA should be handing out money for free flying for people who will not be able to continue to do so once funding ceases no I dont if truth be told.
                                Do I think there should be an opt out clause again no as it would possibly cost more to implement thant the amount being given , so not worthwhile If enough members want it stopped the stop it if majority say keep it going or I dont give a shit then leave it as is.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X