OPEN LETTER FOR THE BMAA COUNCIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need, but I'd just like to thank you for drawing the Constitutional ambiguity to our attention so that it can corrected, for the avoidance of doubt.
    When you are a member you can read all about it in the Members area
    Glad to hear that you are safely returned from Italy.
    best regards Rick
    Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) Earthrounders 2910 wrote:
    As soon as I receive it back I will PM you it.

Originally posted by Rick Goddin
    What is your new BMAA member number Peter? I could find out from the office but I am too lazy.

I hope you realise that a clarification amendment is going to be made to the Constitution to insert the word "immediately"? I am proposing it and it is being posted to the seconding member tomorrow (C please note) for a postal vote in the usual way.

regards Rick

Edited to add: the draft of the proposed resolution will be posted in the Members Area in the immediate future.

Originally posted by Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) Earthrounders 2910

OK the time has come to see who will 'propose' and 'second' me ?

I am happy to receive PM's from those prepared to pin hopes on me making the BMAA council a more workable place and to be able to better the microlight portrayal currently perceived by many.

I am keen to stand for election and so I am delighted to hear that my plans actually fall into what certain council members would like to see. I have had pointed out to me that, that the “eyes and ears” bit doesn’t wash. Over the past dozen or so years I have been told that council has had more “eyes and ears” Council members than they could shake a stick at or than they needed. I was told they don’t last long and they are as much use as an ashtray on a flexwing. What I was told was the council really need some “sleeves rolled up” candidates and if that can be part of my plan I would be welcomed with open arms by at least one top end council member.

I await the mass of PM's [IMG]/forums/emoticons/shocked.gif[/IMG]

Comment

we can only hope this idiot does not make it to council!
      Carl (BMAA 0794)

Comment

We need positive enthusiastic individuals who are prepared to wrok for the Association. Peter is knowledgeable and does a lot of flying. He would bring a fresh approach I'm sure.

regards Rick

Carl Bayliss wrote:
        we can only hope this idiot does not make it to council!

Comment

Carl Bayliss wrote: we can only hope this idiot does not make it to council!
          Carl,

Whilst I am sure in your mind that you regard me as an idiot, I am almost 100% certain that I would baffle you in any debate on anything aviation related.

I have been opinionated about a lot of people on this forum prior to realising that it isn't very gracious to 'lord it' over fellow forum users, so I ceased doing so quite a long time ago, you sadly are doing the self same thing by assuming you might be able to 'lord it' over people who you perceive to be a lesser mortal than yourself.

Whether you regard me as an idiot or not really 'is water off a ducks back' to me, so taking that you must feel superior to me, stand for election also and may the best man win !!

My wanting to stand for election comes from a few members asking me covertly if I would stand, so I guess some see some bona fide reasons for me to go for a spot on council, I am known now by most and I seem to be fairly knowledgeable about aviation and have with the exceptions of Brian Milton & Colin Bodill probably flown further across continents than 99% of the BMAA members. Whilst both Rick & myself continue to forge friendships with foreign microlighters & foreign airfields, it can only benefit those who have yet to venture outside their own airfield's circuit pattern.

Look upon this 'idiot' as someone who is looking to contribute to becoming a valuable member of council and hoping to get better things for all members, whilst you my highly accredited friend will sit on your rectum and do little to contribute to anything microlight related that will be notable to others.

Comment

Carl, I second that...........

Comment

And if Mr Kelsey were to fly around the world, like Mr Milton and Mr Bodill, we wouldn't have to read his drivel for at least three months. ahhhhhhhhhhh Heaven

Comment

I work for the benefit of microlighting everyday, attempting to bring new people to the sport as well as new members to the bmaa whilst you sit here writing your egotistical drivel peter. To add further I also help with he interests of microlighting by being a member of the bmaa....unlike some others here
                Carl (BMAA 0794)

Comment

Tim Wilbor BMAA 5096 wrote: And if Mr Kelsey were to fly around the world, like Mr Milton and Mr Bodill, we wouldn't have to read his drivel for at least three months. ahhhhhhhhhhh Heaven
                  Tim, I doubt I will ever fly around the world (bit out of my league) but having done 7000miles on one trip puts me 'miles ahead of most'

Anyway you may think I write drivel, but some actually enjoy my drivel...... the majority of it is beneficial to others !

Comment

Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) Earthrounders 2910 wrote:

My wanting to stand for election comes from a few members asking me covertly if I would stand, so I guess some see some bona fide reasons for me to go for a spot on council, I am known now by most and I seem to be fairly knowledgeable about aviation and have with the exceptions of Brian Milton & Colin Bodill probably flown further across continents than 99% of the BMAA members. Whilst both Rick & myself continue to forge friendships with foreign microlighters & foreign airfields, it can only benefit those who have yet to venture outside their own airfield's circuit pattern.
                    So Peter when are you going to reveal these 'few' members? Have you ever thought that these 'few' memebrs just want to cause some friction within the council but don't have the audacity to do it themselves and are sending in the cannon fodder? And asking people to stand for election to prove themselves is childish - some people have real jobs to do day in -day out and a job on council would be detrimental for all, not everybody can prance about delivering planes and continually try and increase there post count on forums.

As I see it you've done your best to turn over a new leaf but your true self still shows through too often for my liking, you say you are known by most but you forget that most know your for the wrong reasons, you accuse Carl of attempting to 'lord it' over fellow forum users yet in the very next paragraph of your last post you attempt to 'lord it' over the 99% of BMAA members who haven't flown as much as you and placing yourself amongst Colin Bodhill and Brian Milton, please get real-you don't even come close.

I'm teetering on the edge on whether to support your move for council but I want somebody who is aware that microlighting is just as much about those who travel long distances as it is those who stay in the circuit, doing a lot of flying as Rick suggested you do should not come into it and for now I would vote against you as I feel you don't have the necessary experience. This may change depending on events between now and the election.

Comment

Craig,
                      I fully agree with the comments you made, I personally don't feel I was 'lording it' when I mentioned my ability to fly long distances. The subject of that was raised in Rick's post and I only commented on that as it was relevant to his post in that I do actually have knowledge of flying abroad (Rick & I do exchange info from time to time)
                      I would never dream of implying that I am in the ranks of Colin Bodill and Brian Milton, for one they both fly on well publicised adventures, whilst I might drop a subtle hint that I am going or been on a fairly long trip, secondly I think Colin Bodill is a highly talented aviator and very unassuming and I couldn't even imagine doing what he has done.

As to your remark about maybe the 'few' members are putting me up for utilization as 'Cannon Fodder' You could well be right there, but with my knowledge of who asked me I doubt you are correct in your line of thinking.... however I could be entirely wrong, perhaps I am naive to the motives behind the requests. If I have been set up for a 'fall' I hope they won't be too upset when I succeed and do my utmost to improve the council standing by rolling up my sleeves and getting things done.... I am certainly not a 'yes' man or a 'sheep' so my opinions would be heard and my actions recognised.

Turning over a new leaf was relatively easy to do but you cannot ever fully remove a characteristic that is inbred to that person, I have always been 'headstrong' or perhaps even 'extremely arrogant' and whilst the 'medication' seems to be keeping it in check the majority of the time, I do sometimes feel that a line of defence is needed and that is where as you point out the perceived 'true self' shows through. I am taking it that Carl is a member of your immediate family and in much the same way as I would look out for my immediate family, you are doing likewise ?

My line of defence towards Carl was purely based on being referred to as an 'idiot' by him, now in most instances I can shrug it off, but when I don't actually know the person or believe they know me... it seemed uncalled for !!

I am glad to hear you are teetered on whether to support my move for council or not ( a possible vote is better than a blatant 'no' ) I am very clear in my own mind as to what I feel should be changed in the current microlight pastime, but more than that, I am planning to be the voicebox of the members and put across their ideas and then if anything comes of their ideas I will be grafting 'sleeves rolled up' into getting it in place, too much dead wood has loitered around on council before and it does need a few positive thinking/positive doing types to join their ranks.
                      Someone commented on Drivel..... well if I get elected (which currently looks unlikely due to constitution changes being proposed) I will still be posting drivel, but this drivel will be 'drivel' about what was discussed at meetings and how it will affect/benefit the members !
                      I have never been a great believer in withholding information that affects/benefits members, you pay subscriptions to the BMAA and to that end you are entitled to know lock,stock what is going on at the time something is proposed or decided, I don't subscribe to 'secret society' tactics, though it does seem to be the way some current council members would prefer it to be.

Maybe I have given away too much now, but I am in it for the 'long haul'

Comment

Carl and Tim,
                        Your views on Peter Kelsey referring to him being an 'idiot' are not called for on this forum. If you're not happy with his posts, don't read them !
                        I've never met the guy and don't know him from Adam but some of his posts I have found to be fairly imformative.
                        I would suggest you leave him to stand for election and if you dont want him on council then dont vote for him.
                        Ade

Comment

Peter,

You are correct, Carl is in my immediate family and like you said yourself I will look out for him when I can (family comes first blah blah etc.) It certainly doesn't mean we'll agree on some (usually most) issues but the bit that irked me was this:

[quote=Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) Earthrounders 2910]

........ will sit on your rectum and do little to contribute to anything microlight related that will be notable to others.

You don't know him from Adam (or Adrien it would seem :lol: ) and you are correct that he sits on his rectum all day but it's usually in the back of a GT450 or the right seat of an Ikarus and if teaching people how to fly microlights isn't doing something for microlighting then I don't know what is - but for the fact you probably didn't know this is why you got a dignified/supportive response.
                          I sincerely hope you can prove your doubters wrong Peter and come up with the goods so to speak, you are headed in the right direction and may well get my vote if you continue on the right path but I think you need to be a little more diplomatic in your responses to your 'doubters' - your past behaviour on here is well documented and could be too tall a hurdle for some people - you would be better proving them wrong with your actions rather than proving them right with undignified responses, your're going to have to learn to take it on the chin especially if you want to be part of council - I can't imagine it will get any easier if you end up being elected.

Comment

Craig (and actually Carl as well :blush: )

OK I can see how taking that Carl actually teaches students etc to learn to fly, he is contributing to microlighting in quite a significant way, my comment will obviously have irked you in much the same way I get irked by being called an 'idiot'

Hey lets move on :idea:

I agree that I need to prove my doubters wrong, maybe I have placed too high a hurdle in the way for me to be able to jump and the challenge is quite frankly exciting. Less than 18 months ago I was told I would never be considered a 'microlighter', this again wasn't something that phased me... but strangely I just plodded along and whilst not pushing myself too hard I have still managed to gain 203hrs 51mins in 21 different variants of microlight.

So it just goes to show that I am pretty quiet about what microlight experience I have, ok nearly 204hrs isn't anything great and as you say it isn't about who flys more or who flys further in microlights, I don't ever consider I am better than anyone else (well ok Brian Milton is the exception to the rule :shocked: )

There are many microlighters who I admire for what they have achieved.... i.e. Colin Bodill / Richard Meredith Hardy / Eve Jackson / Gerry Breen
                            But there are also some who are so egotistical, you could almost get the impression they are a 'legend in their own mind'

I sign off now as I am constructing a Dartboard with a picture of a red Flash II on it, seems to make me a better dart player :yeah:

Comment

Adrien where you around when Peter made his name for himself? I freely admit he is not as bad as he once was, but not exactly the kind of personality I would want representing the BMAA to non flyers looking to join the sport
                              Carl (BMAA 0794)

Comment

Carl Bayliss wrote: Adrien where you around when Peter made his name for himself? I freely admit he is not as bad as he once was, but not exactly the kind of personality I would want representing the BMAA to non flyers looking to join the sport
                                Carl,

Most people on here have forgotten what was in the past, in fact most weren't even around when I was making a name for myself.... times do change and so do people :smilewinkgrin: I cannot really see why 'harping on' about the past is entirely relevant !!! Rick was hardly any better than myself and if you care to remember 90% of my torrents were with Rick, yet Rick & I seem to get on nowadays.

To put this forum into perspective, this is a very small gaggle of the BMAA members who actually post here, so barely represents the BMAA in full entirety.

What this forum does have value in, is that Newbies can glean information and ultimately I offer this information whenever I can... I am certainly in a good position to offer information as I have learnt quite a lot from my association with microlighting over the last 5 years, I am the first to admit that when I started posting on the Yahoo forum it was sporting to elicit a reaction and my posts were very controversial and got some incredible reactions, since the BMAA started this forum I have been slowly shaking the 'old style' away, but as I explained earlier it isn't always easy to totally eradicate old habits.

I think it is time a line was drawn in the sand and that progression is where we all need to be going, proof of this is that BJ has an agenda with Rick, BJ also has some kind of agenda with me (taking his previous & recent comments into account) and whether it is because both Rick & myself are very outspoken types and BJ likes to be able to manipulate/control people and we are without doubt no compliant so this worries him.

I feel there is no love lost between some on council, but then it isn't supposed to be a cosy tea club.... I see significant changes if the right people get elected, but if it stays as current..... then I feel sorry for those who are actually striving to keep the 'good ship BMAA afloat.

I intend to join the council to allieviate some of the burden from those who are quite frankly knocking their pan in just to save a sinking ship, I am not saying there are some lazy bastards on the council,just that they seem to fail to apply themselves to where they are best suited.

Comment

Working...
                                X