Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is flying Microlights safe?

[quote=nhoj]
    ...And assuming 85% of fatal accidents are caused by pilot error, this would then equal
    (1-0.9)*0.85 + (1-0.85), which is roughly 25% of the original risk of the overall population, roughly 1 in 7000 per year.
    Eh?

Comment

Has anyone heard about the double fatallity in Australia recently? Not wishing to
      pre empt the investigation, it has been reported that after an engine failure on take off the aircraft plunged to the ground rather than making an emergency landing.

The aircraft involved has been identified as a X air H powered by a Jabiru.

Here in Ghana we have been taught time and time again how to react when faced with an EFATO.

Incidence like this however tragic bring home the fact that training and the application of it in an emergency can literally save your life. :scool:

Comment

The first time I attended a Microlight meet, was at Woborn in '84, having recently joined the BMAA.
        I went there expecting to see people who were responsible and expert in the sport, and what I saw was largly that, but there were some exceptions.
        The organisation, was to say at the least chaotic, with aircraft taking off and landing on the same runway.
        There were ground marshals, but I don't think there was enough method, or the briefing, if they had one, was not effective. Anyway, with trikes landing and taking off, seemingly without much control, the inevitable happened - a mid air collision, with both pilots being unsighted to each other.
        The landing aircraft was more or less intact, but the other one had its king post chopped off, and all the upper wires were streaming out.
        The lady pilot, fortunately, did an immediate emergency landing, back on the strip, and fortunately maintained positive G, otherwise it would have been really nasty.
        As if this was not enough "entertainment" for the day, many of the remaining pilots, after the organised flying had been completed, were performing highly illegal manoeuvres, including repeated bigger and better wing overs, and near loops. Some of these pilots were factory pilots.
        I left the park that day thinking that I had been to a prize prat show, with several of the pilots in sad need of discipline and training. The organisation was a shambles too.
        All that was 23 years ago, and I think the lessons must have been learnt, because I havn't heard of anything like that since.
        With the proper approach to safety that I feel sure we all practise, hopefully our sport is as safe as it can be now, but even at that meeting, with all the stupidity in evidence, no one got hurt, - which must mean that microlights are inherently safe, even to a limited degree, when flown by idiots, although the idiots in question were very lucky.

Ted Snook

Comment

Adam, it's the excitement of driving a fast car or motorbike, sailing into a strong wind, climbing a mountain and the breathe taking view from the top, it's a new baby, it's christmas day with kids, it's that rare moment of exhileration, of achievement, of feeling on top of the world.
          Well it is for me anyway.

Comment

[quote=Adam Curtin]

I'm always puzzled when I hear folk describe flying as exciting:
            Are they easily pleased, are they doing it different to me, or does 'exciting' mean something else to them?

I love being up in the air, and I love the view, but I wouldn't say there's been any excitement in my 200hrs.

Try instructing :devil:

Actually I find it exciting from the moment I open the throttle to the moment I finish the landing roll. I find taxying fun, too, but it doesn't have the same frisson about it as flying.

:smurf:

Comment

[quote]Adam Curtin wrote:

Originally posted by and
              I find it exciting from the moment I open the throttle to the moment I finish the landing roll.
              Now that's what I call "easily pleased"!

A.
              For me it starts as soon as the tail lifts on the take off and does not cease until after the engine is shut down. The feeling is a mixture of satisfaction, delight and amazement that I'm really up there and underlying it all this terrific buzz that Iv'e only had before when racing grass track motor bikes :roll:
              Easily pleased maybe, addicted certainly and I don't regret that one bit :smilewinkgrin:
              Ginge

Comment

I know a few closer to home who talk a load of boll###s and they cant draw either ;-)

Comment

Adam Curtin wrote:

Joan said...
                  I find it exciting from the moment I open the throttle to the moment I finish the landing roll.
                  Now that's what I call "easily pleased"!

A.

Perhaps we need to agree terms (lawyers and philosophers please leave now).

OED online gives "a feeling of great enthusiasm and eagerness" as a meaning for excitement [/i]

[/b]ness and sense of shear privilege that I experience when flying, especially as PIC, and that I don't experience when, say, driving a car or choosing washing powder down at the supermarket.

On the other hand, another source gives this as one possible meaning: "An emotional state characterized by its potential for impulsive or poorly controlled activity" which is probably not what we want to experience while flying.

To return to the thread title and Nhoj's concerns, perhaps it's people who experience the excitement of flying in this latter way that contribute disproportionately to the accident statistics.

Comment

hi folks

Paul's chainsaw story reminded me of something I read recently - its in Jeremy Pratt's PPL course book on Flight Safety page FS16 - fewer than 5% of fatalities were student pilots and pilots with more than 1000hrs were involved in three times as many fatal accidents as pilots with less that 100hrs...

Of course flying is exciting, Adam must mean he hasn't been scared witless surely? :smhair:

And another thing ... perhaps Mr Goddin could share with us what it is about flying that "floats his boat" since he is so cynical about the DaVinci quotation? Although I see what he (Rick) means - DaVinci couldn't actually have known what he was talking about (but to me that's one of the things that makes flying so exciting, I mean that we've only known how to do it for about the last 100years)

Oh for some better weather...

Martin
                    Martin Watson
                    Microlights in Norfolk
                    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                    07805 716407

Comment

Adam, don't you get an adrenalin rush as your wheels leave the tarmac, or touch back down? Or when you swirl round to lose height quickly, climb and deliberately stall, skim the sands at a deserted beach or low fly over the runway, race home to beat the rain? Or do you bimble about like a classic car on a sunny Sunday afternoon [IMG]/forums/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG]
                      edit- Feeling safe is definitely not the same as being safe.

Comment

Adam, I'm so sorry that you don't get the excitement that others get from just flying, maybe your threshold is higher than ours? Maybe you need to do something like aerobatics (non micro obviously) to reach your excitement level? Or maybe more exciting vistas, mountain tops or passes, cliffs, over the channel or Irish sea?
                        I've just thought - is it because you are unaware of the dangers of flying?
                        ;-) Trying switching the engine off, remove the key, put it in your pocket and try and find somewhere to land.;-)

Comment

Adam

(thinking about the topic of another thread where the merits of BMAA support for competitions and inspectors and instructors etc are being discussed)

Why don't you see if entering competitions gives you the adrenalin rush?

Its not something I want to do myself, but I can see that for some people it adds that bit of spice to things. Just a thought...

Martin
                          Martin Watson
                          Microlights in Norfolk
                          Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                          07805 716407

Comment

I have a better idea why dont you come fly with me?

Its not cause I am good, exactly the opposite I am crap, and when, no, IF, we get down, I asure you, you will have experanced not only adrenalin rush but at least 2 bowl movements as well!!

Comment

How do you mean Paul, "If" we get down. I guarantee without any shaddow of a doubt that you will get down.

I'm not scared of heights. I'm scared of the ground. It's not the height that kills you, it's the GROUND coming up at you.

Comment

I had visions of Paul and Adam sat up there doing nothing / going nowhere and Paul saying " See, isn't this exciting? Isn't it fun when you can't get down again?" ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X