Can I hire a microlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I hire a microlight?

Yes - but currently only a single seater (or rather, you cannot carry passengers in a hired Microlight), and only if you hold a full licence (as against restricted). Having said that, finding somewhere that will hire one to you might be a bit of a challenge!

Can I hire a microlight?

Is this still the case? A chum & I are seriously considering a move from Class A to Microlights due to the ever-spiralling costs. We have found somone who will hire a decent hotship, but there's little point if we are unable to share flights.....

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

I don't want to give too much away at the moment, but it's made in Poland I believe......

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

There may just be some movement on dual seat hiring. watch out for an announcement quite soon........

Paul

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Thanks for the comment, Paul. Very encouraging!

Err...... any qualification of how soon is 'soon'? I know the question is virtually unanswerable, especially when it is applied to the sometime geological rate of progress of legislation, but I wondered if you had a feel for whether it would be in the next few months (in which case there would be a high liklihood that myself and The Gentleman Aviator would convert from GA this summer) or whether the timescale was likely to be years.....

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Where is the rule which says a pilot can only hire on a microlight licence without restrictions? There may be local rules by hiring organisations but I was unable to find any overarching rule which says somebody on a restricted licence can't hire?

Joan

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Hi Paul,

That sounds very promising, as per the other post do you have any timescales for this?? I'm currently in the process of deciding on whether to go SSDR or get a share in an aircraft. If the answer is yes and we can hire a dual seat microlight then I can see myself going for one of your SSDR's but having the ability of hiring a dual seat microlight when the odd friend wants a bimble around the area!

I'm looking forward to this promising development.

Now the question is would some schools or clubs actually give people the opportunity to hire their microlights out even if the rules do change?? Could be interesting to see whether schools or clubs would actually be prepared to do this is another thing! I bet one of the requirements will be that you have to have a certain amount of hours on that particular aircraft(which is probably fair enough!!)

Regards

Paul

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Not really sure what I am allowed to say (for fear of getting it wrong!), but hopefully Geoff Weighell will have an official announcemnt on this very soon, when the final touches are put on the paperwork.

Paul

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

I am also wondering if this is the case on aircraf such as the CTSW and Ikarus? My local school hires them but i didnt realsie i wouldnt be able to carry a pax.

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Cant see any snags with this approach Jeremy, as you say the plane will probaly be hired from a school, so shoudlnt be a problem grabbing an instructor for the reval time, if you dont get the hour from the odd check flight here and there. One advantage of the NPPL rules is that the hour doesnt have to be done on any one flight and can be anytime in the two year period, so you could collect the time in dribs and drabs if necessary.

Paul

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Jeremy wrote:

>>>As I understand it, if you have an NPPL(M) and fly a single seat microlight all the time, then it looks as if you will need to keep your licence valid by doing the new flight reviews with an instructor. If you don't do this then you can only fly single seat microlights.

If you fly a single seat microlight all the time, you'll only need a single seat endorsement!

If you want to get your two seat flying back - even if you only want to fly with the second seat empty! - you'll need to then go and acquire an hour with an instructor.

If you are planning to hire, then the first time you will need a full hour to reval the two seat bit. Then, as Paul says, you should be able to acquire another hour over the next 24 months in dribs and drabs to keep current.

Very best,

Colin

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Cononel Blink,

I might know a chap who could hire a VERY cheap single seater. Just think........if your mate could get a similar deal you COULD go flying together!! The man that may be able to help you (and very occasionally air's his thoughts on here) is called Peter Killsyee (or something like that). The aircraft is a skyhook a think, or am a getting mixed up with a fishermans hook??? Well somebody has taken the E-Bait.

Kindest Regards............Bill

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Jeremy,

You wrote:

>>>As I understand it, if you have an NPPL(M) and fly a single seat microlight all the time, then it looks as if you will need to keep your licence valid by doing the new flight reviews with an instructor.

The rules seem really complex so I was clarifying this sentence, which is wrong. If you "fly single seat all the time" then you DON"T need a flight or flights with an instructor.

You then added:

>>>>>If you don't do this then you can only fly single seat microlights.

Which is correct, in that if you don't do the flight with an instructor - but DO get you licence signed - then you are resticted to single seat use only.

The interpretation of the rules is still going on. It was presented to us that if you missed the 24 month deadline for the signature then it was GST time.

It now seems that this mioght not be the case after all.

What is the case is that if you have missed out on the full 60 mins with an instructor, just get the single seat enorsement and this will revalidate for 48 monhts. Then you can get that lifted easily any time you achieve the 60 minutes.

Otherwise, you may find yourself in GST land.

Very best,

Colin

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Red Six wrote:
                            Yes - but currently only a single seater (or rather, you cannot carry passengers in a hired Microlight), and only if you hold a full licence (as against restricted). Having said that, finding somewhere that will hire one to you might be a bit of a challenge!
                            The rules have now officially been changed and you can hire a microlight for dual purposes. No doubt schools and clubs hiring out aircraft will want to do check flights or see evidence of currency etc.. I suggest you have a chat with your club or school and see what is on offer.

Comment

Can I hire a microlight?

Angus: Sorry for being possibly unnecessarily dense here, but from my posts above it is of quite some importance to me, my chum and his spouse (not mine, because she won't get in anything that leaves the ground unless it is necessary to reach somewhere warm).

By "you can hire a microlight for dual purposes" can you confirm that this means that when I attain an NPPL (ML) I will legally be able to hire a microlight for flight with a passenger of my choosing...? (Obviously subject to the normal currency/validation/hirer/weight strictures of course...).

Not wishing to insult or doubt your statement, but do you have a link to somewhere where this is stated in officialdom?

Thanks in advance - this could be just what I need.

Comment

Working...
                              X