Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put a runway in my back garden?

Yes, if it's big enough.

The law of the land allows you take take-off and land from anywhere from which you have permission to do so, provided you do not break any elements of airlaw (ie just clearing the roof of your neighbours house!), and provided your tajke-offs and landings occur on no more then 28 days in any 12-month period.

Alternatively, you can seek planning permission to use the land as an airfield. If granted, your 'movements' (take-offs and landings) are essentially unrestricted, although again subject to air-law.

Can I put a runway in my back garden?

Jeremy

Your point about a movements log is interesting. I did not think it was compulsory and most of the farm strips I frequent do not have one, my own included.

The point about clear approaches is probably the key to getting into a short airfield. A friend has 240m with no hedges or anything on the approaches. This makes very short landings possible. Airfields like Sandy, with a tree line to be crossed just before the runway need 100m+ more runway to allow for the higher approach height.

Here is a video of a short field landing at the 240m runway. Less than a third of the runway was used by this skilled pilot.

Tony Turner's Eurostar into a short field

The little flare before landing was to clear a six inch deep ditch at the start of the runway. Tony had not been into this airfield before.

Comment

The best person to talk to about the 28 day rule is Terry Holding.

Terry Holding owns Thurrock Airfield which I believe has been known as Orsett as well?

Terry had a very well publicised battle with the Essex authorities over the use of Thurrock and won 'BIG STYLE'

Thurrock is a well established airfield now, but it took a lot of fighting etc from Terry to make it easier for all others that followed applying for use under the 28 day rule, or indeed extending to full use.

Give a big hand to Terry for making everybody elses applications easier [IMG]/forums/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG]

Peter

Comment

I hear and read a lot about Farm Strips. However, I am unclear whether these are subject to the 28 day rule which is mentioned here.

I'm guessing it is but if that is the case surely it is very restrictive on the amount of flying you can do from any one strip? If this is the case do you find a couple of strips to fly from (I imagine finding one would be difficult)?

Also, how do the DEFRA changes to 'use of land' versus payments affect Farmers attitudes towards this; or am I taking the term 'Farm Strip' too literally and in reality the pilots buy the field and then it becomes a Farm strip. I am more confused now than when I started writing this post!

Comment

The term farm strip covers a broad range of airstrips. Some are run a part of of the farmers business plan in much the same way as the as the small business units in his old farm buildings.
          These start at a well maintained grass strip with purpose built hangars and a little hut to make a cuppa though to a grass strip at which you can tie down, at some you are invited to build your own hangar. Many of these will have planning permission. Those with planning may have restrictions placed on them by the authority granting the permission, limitations on number of flights and/or hours that flying can take place. So it pays to enquire about the exact conditions applying to each individual strip. Most will also have areas to be avoided so PPR really is a must if you are flying in. Many of these strips were built by the farmer to house his own aircraft and as such are situated on the best drained areas that he knows of. He may well allow other aircraft to base there but if it is not part of his business portfollio it may well operate uder the 28 day rule.
          The next kind ofton are strips laid down by a flier or bunch of fliers on land either bought or rented from the farmer. These tend to be of a simpler kind and probably most of them do operate under the 28 day rule and are as varied as it is possible to be.
          Farm strip flying can be great fun but always remember that most strips will have their own little quirks that you will need to learn. What you get are cheaper fees and greater freedom, what you will lack on the smaller strips is ofton the club atmosphere and support

Ginge

Comment

Yes you can! Just make sure you don't upset the locals and you'll be fine!

Andy Marks
            Washbrook Farm Naseby (Private home not farm)

Comment

Nice one Andy but did you notice the date of the mail you replied to?

Ewe avterrr larf
              Best Regards

Bob
              Ewe avterrr larf

Comment

It was early morning Bob ;-)
                John

Comment

Must have been half asleep... Clicked the FAQ page not the one below... Muppet!

Comment

[3]Although an old thread on rading the first part it,s actually wrong the 28 day does not apply.[/3]

[3]If its your own property and you have a big enough area the the laws of[/3]

[3]Curtilage would apply. [/3]

[3]This is the same law that allows you to drive your 4 x 4 up and down the field as and when you like without anybodys permission as long as its your land..[/3]

[3]If you invite friend in then yes the 28 day rule would apply and if you wanted to build a barn (hangar) then you would need planning.[/3]

[3][/3]

[3]trevor
                    [/3]

Comment

What about the wife sunbathing......... :devil: :devil: :tongue:

Comment

People sunbathe under other flight paths ;-)
                        John

Comment

Thats why we all fly VFR ....LOL :yeah:

Comment

Vital For Rubbernecking?[b]

Comment

Airfield Insurance
                              The owner of our Airfield has discovered that he is liable for any accidents on the airfield. Consequently with BMAA advice he has reluctantly closed the Airfield. Insurance quote from Haywards is 1,000 PA. This is too high a premium for three pilots flying XLRs.

Any ideas? Mine is to Lease the airfield from the owner under a Limited company with the three Pilots as Directors.
                              Serious suggestions very welcome.
                              Regards
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X