Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I build a microlight from plans or from a kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I build a microlight from plans or from a kit?

There are many kits available for Microlights. Usually, anyone with moderate DIY skills and a reasonably sized workshop (a single garage will do, at a pinch) can build one. Visit http://www.kiss400.com to read about how I built mine.

There are also several plans available, as detailed later in this thread.

With respect to Alex's reply, while the Huntwing is the only breed of flexwing available in plans form, there seem to be three species of fixed wing plans: Zenair, Sherwood Ranger, and Whittaker.

Comment

That is the only Flexwing, but in 3 axis there is the MW range.
      The MW5 single seater
      The MW6T twin seat with tandem seating
      The MW6S twin side by side seating. Also known as the "Fatboy Flyer"
      I have never seen the MW5 or MW6T enclosed but the MW6S often is
      MWs are a PFA registered machine and there is an excellant MW Club for support. The only one that I have flown was an MW5T and a very sweet handling machine it was.
      I share a hangar with a 582 powered Huntwing and untill the latest flexwing designs hit the market it was in a class of it's own. A very nice aeroplane
      Ginge

Comment

There should be a single seat Flexwing in kit form soon. Also both the major manufactures I beleive supply flexwings in fast build kit form. There still fairly expensive though. Take a look on the BB Trya thread and let me know what you think.
        Cheers Paul.

Comment

where can i go to buy a Microlite??? self build?

Comment

All the Air Creation Flexwings (the Kiss range) are available from Flylight as kits - in fact that's the only way you can buy them in the UK.

P&M used to sell blades and Quantums in kit form but they have discontinued the Blade and I don't know if they will still sell you a Quantum kit.

Laurie (2)

Comment

Just wondering, what is the present regs. regarding building a 3 axis from a factory made kit?
              i.e. construction inspection, sign offs, additions, test flights etc.

Comment

Jim Breslin wrote:
                Just wondering, what is the present regs. regarding building a 3 axis from a factory made kit?
                As so often the answer is in the TILs.

These are Technical Information Leaflets. They have put together to provide useful guidance on many things and you will find them on the main BMAA site filed under Tech Topics, the one that you will want to look at first is this one

http://www.bmaa.org/upload/techdocs/...3120.039_1.pdf

Other things that you will find handy, such as lists of inspectors and test pilots are also there.

Good Luck

Ginge

Comment

Many thanks for that Ginge.
                  Looks like the process has got a lot more complicated than it was in the 80's. (My era!)

Comment

[quote=Jim Breslin]
                    Many thanks for that Ginge.
                    Looks like the process has got a lot more complicated than it was in the 80's. (My era!)
                    There was a lot of change during the '80s, but it settled down after that.

If you buy an SSDR sub-115kg single seater kit then you just build it, register it, insure it, and fly it (as long as you have a valid pilot's licence).

If it's heavier or a two seater, then things are a little bit more complicated, but still probably simpler than for a group A aircraft like a Vans or a Sky Arrow.

Joan
                    :smurf:

Comment

“If it's heavier or a two seater, then things are a little bit more complicated, but still probably simpler than for a group A aircraft like a Vans or a Sky Arrow.”

Under the LAA system there would be no difference in complication between a micro and an SEP. LAA has 500 micros on the fleet.

Rod1

Comment

Jimmy Breslin wrote:
                        The Minimax is a great microlight that can be built from plans or kit, the procedure is well documented.
                        I will be offering the AirBike as an SSDR early in 2012, various kit options and ready to fly.

Comment

Still flying my huntwing 582 10 years on (GBZTW). nice wobble wing, flies at HOT 46kts at 12 litres/hour solo. Probably cost me £5k to build, for which you could buy a decent blade or quantum with adjustable trimmer and save yourself a load of time and go a bit faster....

if its about building an aeroplane go for it. If its about saving a few quid forget it.

Tim

Comment

I disagree. kits are far cheaper than their factory built cousins in all cases and usually by really quite healthy amounts.

Back ten years ago when you built your huntwing for 5K a new quantum or blade 582 would have cost three times that or more. It's only now that they are 10-15 years old and superseded by a few models that they are now around the 5K mark.

Having built your own machine maintenance should hold no fears and I bet you will have saved a packet comapred to a ' vanilla' quantum / blade owner farming the labour out and paying for A1 factory approved parts.

I do agree though that you do need to want to build. if its something you don't really want to do and view it as a nuisance, the project is doomed!

Paul

Comment

I agree with Paul kits are far cheaper. Even cheaper if you source your own materials and build from plans. But like Paul said, if this is something you dont want to do or view it as a nuisance then by one in a tin. It wont give you the same satisfaction as if you sourced and built it yourself when the moment comes and its all systems go when the wheels leave the ground for the very first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X