No announcement yet.

BMAA Freedom Rally at Enstone 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IET, CPD time? Sorry Joan you lost me there. In aviation there are too many TLAs (three letter acronyms).

Comment

Sorry - overly cryptic. PM sent.
      The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
      R examiner and TST pilot.

Comment

Anyone interested?

Comment

Sorry that though I am interested & usually enjoy it & do fly in, before this week-end I'm off across the Channel for a few days.

mike hallam

Comment

Well,

It was a bit windy, and thermic, and I guess that's why not many people turned up today. By not many I mean around 30 - 40 planes. There were some old ones (like mine, and even older ones such as a pterodactyl!), some new ones, such as a couple of SD1 minisports, a Merlin, and an Elf, some borrowed ones, such as Bill's flying bike, which I think he borrowed from Heath Robinson!, and some blue ones, like the metallic blue and yellow Minimax. So a good marriage of all types and ages of planes. Just a shame there weren't more of them!! So if you were thinking of coming but got put off by the airspace restrictions or the heat or the thermals, it wasn't that bad, and those of us who did go got to hear all about the amazing 60% Hurricane a bloke made and flew from Stoke. Excellent stuff, and I believe Adrian Jones then had a good discussion about electric powered planes. I was outside by then as it was very hot in the club house. Oh, the bacon rolls were good, and so was the coffee, not to mention the home made Dundee cake. Actually I won't mention that as I might want to go back for seconds! :-)

It was good to see Ginge and Joan there, particularly as Joan revalidated my licence for me (Thank you very much for doing that Joan! I really do appreciate you taking time out from your day's excursion to count up the hours in my log book) and Ginge and I discussed the finer points of the 503 vs 462 performance and reliability issues.

I also got to meet someone who's name has escaped me already, although his surname was unpronounceable, but who like me has a Minimax, and we were able to compare notes on these wonderful little aircraft.

So all in all a good one, and I look forward to going there again next year. I'll just have to decide whether I should I fly the Spectrum again, or perhaps the Minimax? Hmmm, decisions, decisions! :-)
            XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

I attended most of Martyn's 'Hurricane' design lecture but had to leave before the end for some fresh air, the weather being so warm and the room being so full. It did give me the chance to sit and chat with the inimitable Ted Barratt, well into his 90s the UK's oldest qualified and current microlight pilot.

Back in the club room and parked nearer to a window for fresh air alongside hubby-dear and Tom Dawson, Adrian's discussion about considerations and products for converting his Shadow to electric power was interesting too. Rotax and Jabiru don't need to worry about the competition for the touring market yet, but for local bimbling in a development proptotype I think the technology's nearly there. At present though, it'd probably take around a thousand hours for financial break-even on the initial investment.

I agree with Bob too on the pleasant conversations (both short and long) to be had with the visitors and participants.

I'll leave it to others to write about the aircraft to be seen, and I look forward to the inevitable and inimitable words in MF by editor Geoff Hill about the amazing Sub-70 flying pedal tricycle!

PS. Bob PM sent.
              Last edited by Joan Walsh; 15th July 2018, 18:05. Reason: PS
              The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
              R examiner and TST pilot.

Comment

Joan, I seem to remember Adrian saying that the battery capacity in his Shadow would allow 1.5 hours of flight (90 miles?) and could be recharged in 30 minutes (coffee break?), so maybe it would make a touring machine, so long as a power socket is available on the apron!

Comment

Working...
                X