Competition support and thread drift elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMAA set out as a 'light trike' association. Surely its credentials in this regard have been reaffoirmed with the Sub-115 regulation? What things are you currently not satisfied about specifically, and why do you think a new association is required?

Paul

Comment

Hello Paul,
      I don't think a new association should be required, and for the vast majority of trikers and paramotorers it is not required.
      There just feels to be less movement to get behind the lower echelons... it feels we are more an inconvenience.
      SSDR is a great thing which I applaud, and I hope to be constructing something within these rules quite soon, whether I can actually get to fly it or not!.
      For me it seems so logical to expect the BMAA, when it has done the wonderful thing of making ultra lightweight powered weightshift planes (SLPGs) flyable by its members with almost no restrictions; to then, on realising some of its older and less fit members are excluded from flying these, to at least try to get these allowed with simple wheels... as far as I can gather they are unconcerned about these less able members?
      This is how it feels to be.
      Mark P...............

Comment

Mark

Err - that is what the SSDR regs are for..

Took 6 years of negotiation to get to that point and was the least regulation we could get in the deal - and belive me we tried for less (tried to get all single seaters included, ands tried to talk them out of the noise test). If 'the lower echelons' as you call them, are so unimportant, why did we then waste so much time and effort to make things much easier and cheaper for lightweight single seaters?

Seems bizzare that we get the biggest (only?) ever step towards stripping regulation off our sport, and you get the hump with the BMAA and say we have been slacking and are uncaring in formulating it!!!

As a previous instructor mark, give me you argument - good enough to convince the public and CAA and DFT, why the 25 year old requirement to hold a licence to fly a trike should be logically removed. bear in mind that the SSDR regs were only approved by CAA and Dft based on stats that show pilot training is the key to flight safety - not airworthiness regs..

Tell me why this removal of licence requirement would be more logical than good cross credits so that rated SPHG pilots can easily and simply gain the licence with the minimum of additional training and expense?

And dont make the mistake of thinking Council are non representative of grass roots fliers either - we have Dave Bremner that flies a Doodlebug, Me that owns part of the company that makes it, Gordon Faulkner that teaches on an old Alpha and refuses on principle to teach on a more modern machine because he doesnt like teh way the sport is going, and Keith Negal who is taking paramotor lessons, and John Mills that represents the disabled, lives in a caravan, and just manages to keep a very old Snowbird.

Hardly a bunch of 'CT or bust ' pilots. and they care VERY much about keeping a simple cheap end to microlighting.

Paul

Comment

Hello Paul,
          Well much of that is very encouraging, and to reiterate, I think SSDR is an excellent developement and that people like yourself and other manufacturers are going to make some very interesting machines under it which is great.
          I know a small number of ageing and less fit trikers who would have just loved to fly around the county on an SLPG if they had been young or fit enough to pick it up and run with it.
          It just feels a shame that having created this class, the BMAA didn't go a step further and try to make this sort of machine flyable by all its members, by gaining permission for some of its less fit members to be allowed to fly these things off wheels.
          I am greatly encouraged to hear so many members of council are representative of the lower echelons... it would be nice to hear from them a bit now and then!
          I am not critical of the efforts of individual members; it feels more that the overall emphasis of the BMAA holds them back.
          Thanks for the response Paul,
          Mark P.............

Comment

Working...
          X