X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAIB special bulletin S4/2007 Paramotor

BMAA news item

13-Aug-2007 - AAIB Bulletin S4/2007 Paramotor
    The AAIB have produced a special bulletin concerning a Paramotor which was involved in an accident earlier this year.

Click http://tinyurl.com/23tjbm to download the .pdf version of the report.

Or go to the AAIB website and click on S4/2007, titled 'Paramotor'.

Rob Hughes
    Rob Hughes
    BMAA Member

AAIB special bulletin S4/2007 Paramotor

The wing is regarded as the aircraft. AAIB list accidents according to the type of aircraft, regardless of the cause of the accident. There are several SBs on the AAIB website which name aircraft, but then go on to explain that the aircraft itself was not at fault.

For instance the Pegasus Quantum accident at Clench Common is listed, the title of the SB is 'Pegasus Quantum 15-912, G-BYNO'. When you read the SB you learn that the cause of the accident was not due to Pegasus, and Pegasus are not held responsible in any way.

I don't see this as being any different.

Rob
    Rob Hughes
    BMAA Member

Comment

Jeremy,

Before I called my lawyer I'd think about the bill I'd get first. :-)

Seriously, it probably would be better in this case to mention the wing and the motor unit in the title as paramotors are a bit of a special case, but if I flew a Paramania Revolution I'd want to see the wing referred to in the report title as I would want to have my attention drawn to it so I would read the report. Most paraglider accidents have nothing to do with the wing either - they are mostly pilot error - but I still read avidly anything in relation to any accident for anything that I fly. If nothing else, it makes me think about how I am flying too. In this case, the wing does not appear to have played any specific part in the accident, but that is something I'd be happy to learn.

I doubt Paramania will be concerned by this report, or the title it is posted under here. It doesn't show them in a bad light. It is an accident report - not a structural failure report (even though in this specific case there has been an equipment failure). People who don't fly paramotors won't care, and people who do fly paramotors will read the report and learn from it which is surely the purpose anyway.

Paul

Comment

I've swapped emails with quite a few people about this, and there has been a sensible discussion as to what is right in this situation. I think I can say that we agreed that AAIB should have titled the report 'Paramotor' as that would be the best title to draw people's attention, as Paul says. Interestingly enough, in the last hour or so, AAIB have changed the title from 'Powered Parasail' (whatever that is) to 'Paramotor'..!

I've also talked to Paramania, and we have agreed to change the title and issue an explanatory note. Once Pascal has checked it over, I'll publish it. I don't accept the idea that Paramania was publicly being advertised as seriously defective, otherwise AAIB would be in court every day of the week.

Rob
        Rob Hughes
        BMAA Member

Comment

Well, Jeremy, I agree with you. I have renamed this thread, and my next step is to publish the note that Pascal has approved.

Ed Cunliffe and 'we' (someone from BMAA) are going to write to AAIB suggesting that 'paramotor' be used in future.
          Rob Hughes
          BMAA Member

Comment

This post is published with the approval of Pascal at Paramania.

AAIB Special Bulletin S4/2007 'Paramotor'.

A recent BMAA news item highlighted the fact that the AAIB had
            published a Special Bulletin S4/2007, which concerned a paramotor
            accident. The news item followed the AAIB's usual pattern of naming
            the aircraft in the title (regardless of the cause of the accident),
            so as to alert other pilots of similar aircraft. This was not
            correct, the news item should have copied AAIB's title, which was
            originally "Powered Parasail" and has since been changed to "Paramotor".

According to SB S4/2007 the initial investigation has revealed that
            "at least one in-flight component failure occurred to the metal
            structure of the paramotor". The SB does not indicate that the wing
            in question, a Paramania Revolution, was in any way responsible for
            the accident.

The news item has been amended, and is now titled 'AAIB Special
            Bulletin S4/2007 'Paramotor'. The SB can be found at

http:// tinyurl.com/239rfu
            Rob Hughes
            BMAA Member

Comment

Working...