Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel launchable paramotors into the SPHG definition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Paul.
    Foot launched Paramotor wings typically are loaded at between 6 and 9 kg per square metre. Using a human capability instead of a wing loading is fundamentally contrary to the Equalities Act 2010 as it regulates according to a "Protected Characteristic". The "is foot-launched" clause in the SPHG definition was introduced prior to 2010. It may be that simply by the CAA being encouraged to interoret that clause as "is able to be foot launched" would allow the SPHG definition to remain as it is but still conform to teh Equalities Act?

This approach would mean that no change to the law is required, merely a policy decision by the CAA?

Comment

Actually I'd be quite happy to see a lower loading limit around the 14-15 kg per square meter! If we use high values then we end up with all the development going in the wrong direction. The whole slalom craziness has warped paramotor development for the worse lately and we mustn't let that happen here too.

Comment

Francis, would you please try to include this style of flying within the exemption...

http://www.hangglidingschool.com/The-Zee/More-Zee

Comment

Ian, there are two approaches to the issue that are currently being talked about. One is to retain some element of "foot-launched", either by the CAA interpreting "the aircraft is foot-launched" as meaning that is is able to be or by changing the definition to say "is able to be foot-launched". The other is to remove the reference to foot-launched and use some measurable criterion such as you suggested, a wing loading. The craft you link to is where the most problem exists, I think, and the fact that SPHG encompasses both paraglider and hang glider makes any definition that covers both difficult to agree. The craft you link to looks like it pushes the weight limit (what is its unladen full fuel weight?). Most powered hang gliders are 60 to 70 kg whereas most powered paragliders are leass than 40 kg.
          If you can establish a formula for determining what wing loading limit you would place then it might be possible to included wheel launched powered hang gliders, but that formula would have to limit powered paragliders too and I suspect the wing loading you would want for HG would permit too small a wing on a PG? Or you could argue for different wing loadings for PG and HG?

Alternatively if the Zee is able to be foot launched then the first approach may cover it.
          A challenge under the Equalities Act 2010 has now been initiated and we wait to see the result of that.
          In the meantime if you have someone who can assist with the wing loading calculation for hg that would be helpful.

Comment

This is looking like another missed opportunity for the BMAA.

Comment

Steve,

I totally agree. This crossover genre of non nano trike really is the missing link from HG to microlight. It even manages to out nano Flylight nano trikes, and seems to be designed to be used with completely standard HG wings, like the Doodlebug was.
              XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

BMAA lobbied CAA in the ANO review to deregulate for licensing single person paramotor a with a wheeled adaption. And Geoff and two bods from the CAA ( and I think Francis) met at the WMPC so CAA could see what it was all about. I spoke with one of them and he seemed very receptive indeed and saw the logic clearly.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X