Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what can and cant you do with an LAA type a/c.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can and cant you do with an LAA type a/c.

A mate of mine was asking me about the running and annual costs with the like of a Piper Cub,

He has zero flying experience but has got interested in getting a pilots licence...silly boy doesn't fancy a microlight but sees himself with something like a cub,

Also just what is the owner of this type of a/c permitted to do maintenance wise so I can pass on the information.

Nick.
    "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

This is really a job for the LAA who will know better what is required. Your friend needs to know that the difference in licence attainment costs and conversion to the harder to fly tailwheel Cub makes a faster, more modern and more economical C-42 look like a much better bet and he can sit beside his passenger, as well!

Comment

Thanks for that Tom....shame the LAA don't let "OUTSIDERS" join there forum the way the BMAA do...I wonder what they are frightened of,

I have no experience with fixed wing a/c as I fly a flex....so what is the normal route...is it like you say train on the likes of a C-42 then convert to tail dragger's.

Nick.
      "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

Comment

LAA maintenence regime is the same as the BMAA.;at least I haven't come across anything significant since changing from a BMAA Shadow to an LAA one. One benefit I like is the ability to carry out your own check flights, something which can only be done by exception on BMAA machines.
        It could be argued that the Cub is more of a microlight than some modern composite 'Microlight' types which are really thinly disguised light aircraft. A cub flies fairly slowly, lands and takes off on a sixpence and doesn't have a whole lot in common with a C-150 or PA28!

Training-wise, I learned on flexwing, eventually transitioned to 3-axis, then after a few years did my Grp A conversion on a C-152 (horrible). Once I passed the GST, I converted to a taildragger for fun (and it was!). You pays your money and takes your choice; there's a lot of blurring between LAA types (FRED, Taylor monoplane, Turbulent etc) which are microlights in spirit if not in fact - the category just didn't exist back then. In fact, my starstreak Shadow can't be made a microlight at all - but when asked, I just tell people I fly a microlight - we all know it is really!

Comment

Just to add to Gary's point about BMAA check flights.
          Yes one can do a check flight on ones airvraft by exception BUT ONLY after actually becoming an approved check pilot on class.

Actually a big pain in the a44222333rse here in NE Scotland as the only Shadow Check pilots are Simon Jeffries, Marcus Dalgety and John Bain.
          Simon and Marcus both now live in France running their school full time and John lives in Orkney (although his work has temporarily relocated him to Glasgow and he will come when required).

Even worse situation regarding NPPL Rating biennial revaluation once the rating has expired and hence requires the taking of a GST..

I suspect it is not really a problem in the majority of England, but NE Scotland..... only Marcus. and he lives in France..... wonderful!!!!!!!!

Which is why I am doing my best to go SSDR.

I hope that nice Mr Salmond sets up a Scottish CAA when we become independent:-)

Comment

In our experiance Nick is right in most cases it is a quicker route normaly to learn on a nosewheel machine and covert later to a tailwheel.
            Having said that a Piper Cub is real sweet machine and is much easier to land than my TST, there is sooo much more time to do all that is needed, the view however is much poorer just to prove you can't have everything.

Ginge

Comment

Thanks Ginge...out of interest could you point out a few microlight type on the same lines as the Cub...must be high winged....so I can see if I can get him to see the light,

One I know of is the Kitfox.

Nick.

Comment

The ones that spring to mind are, as you say, the Kitfox I & II also the Easy Raider. It was said that the Gruppo Trail would be available as a microlight but it that's the case now or it the future I'm not sure. Should you wish to also count side by side seating there is of course the Escapade and the Eurofox. Single seat fanciers have the Kid as well. If you wish a more traditional microlight there is the Kolb Twinstar, lacking the wing fold there is the Thruster T600T which is much easier to land than the T300 or TST, or should you feel more at home without the enclosed luxuries and fancy the challenge and satisfaction they are available as well.

I'm certain that I've missed some, probably someone will let me know ;-)

Ginge

Nick Axworthy wrote:
                Thanks Ginge...out of interest could you point out a few microlight type on the same lines as the Cub...must be high winged....so I can see if I can get him to see the light,

One I know of is the Kitfox.

Nick.

Comment

Thanks Ginge...I'm sure he will like those.

Nick.

Comment

Would make sense to get the licence and then take advantage of the LAA Pilot Coaching scheme for taildragger conversion. Coaching scheme can also be used for the one hour revalidation flight.

Comment

Thanks Bill....it doesn't help that my mate does not know what a/c he would like to own....which will determine which licence he needs to go for...the NPPL M or group A,

Hopefully he will be going to the airfield with me tomorrow and can ask all he needs to know.

Nick.

Comment

Ginge you mentioned the Eurofox...seems a new kid on the block as far as the UK is concerned...is much known about the UK version yet....looks very very similar to the Kitfox Mk 7 that my mate likes the look of.

Nick.

Comment

So new that it has just finnished (I beleive) jumping though the section S hurdles. I looked at the one at the NEC and it looked a well appointed beast, it has been around for a good number of years elsewhere and so should be well proven.
                          I'm sure that it'll not be long before one of the mags has a flight test

Ginge

Comment

Thanks Ginge.

Comment

Nick,

The person who is the Eurofox dealer - Roger Cornwell - is a member of this forum, so you could pm him or ask a question in the Eurofox section of the Aircraft specific forum. I'm surprised he hasn't added some more up to date info on the Eurofox progress there. It looks like a very nice machine to me.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X