Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what can and cant you do with an LAA type a/c.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is now looking at the Gopppo Trail as well...I cant keep up with him...life is so much straightforward with a flexwing.

Nick.
    "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

I did a LAA permit renewal check flight on a Rans S7 recently on behalf of its owner. I had never flown one before and was really impressed by it. It was the most Cub-a-like aircraft I have flown (and I've flown quite a lot of different types of Cub). It's a shame there are so few of them on the register as they cost a fraction of what a Cub costs. The owner had bought it to replace an Avid Speedwing (almost identical to the Kitfox) which I did quite a lot of flying in last year. The Rans S7 is a vastly superior strip flyer to the Avid with far more space inside too. Best of all it doesn't have the problematic flaperons of the Avid/Kitfox series.

BUT... I would leave all of those behind in the hangar if there was an old Thruster available to fly instead. Nothing beats a Thruster, nothing, got it? The Thruster epitomises everything that the true spirit of microlighting is about. All these people prattling about at mach 2 in their plastic wonderships are betraying the sports heritage and should be forced off all the lovely green private fields to oily smelly hard runways where they can impress those that want to listen about their tales of cruising at 100mph! They're not microlights.

Comment

I'm 100% with you Ian and your views, unfortunately my mate is the image concious type.

Nick.
        "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

wrote: He has zero flying experience but has got interested in getting a pilots licence...
          I used to teach ab-initio on the Piper Cub and Super Cub. It's no problem for most of the PPL syllabus, but we used to teach and examine the navigation element in Cessnas as they are better kitted out for the nav training/testing.

Learning to fly in LAA aircraft is no problem. See LAA Technical Leaflet 2.09.

wrote: Also just what is the owner of this type of a/c permitted to do maintenance wise
          See LAA Technical Leaflet 2.01 for general advice. For more advice you can have a look at an iBook which I wrote:

Apple iBookstore

or

Google Books and Google Play

or

PDF document

Feel free to drop me an e-mail or call if you have any questions about learning to fly in LAA aircraft - my contact details are on the LAA website under LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme.

All the best, Cookie

Comment

Working...
          X