SSEA class rating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSEA class rating.

I am just wondering whether it would be possible to add the SSEA class rating to an NPPL M once I've done enough hours - or does the SSEA Class rating supersede the Microlight rating? Is there anything I could do to keep both current. The reason I'm asking this is I'm current doing my NPPL M in a eurostar. However, I found out today that my instructor doesn't hire his a/c out, and, there is not anyone really hiring 3 axis microlights in the Cambridge/Suffolk area. Whereas if I could add an SSEA rating to my licence (when I get it!) it would potentially open up a lot more doors, with regards to the a/c available to hire! I won't be in a position to buy a share until the end of next year due to buying a house!!! I wonder what the other half would say if I say we're putting the house on hold as I'm buying a share in an a/c :rofl:

SSEA class rating.

I Think an SSEA Class takes about 5-6 hours conversion plus a couple more exams, but not certain. Many Microlight pilots do it though.
    Graham Jefferies
    BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

SSEA class rating.

I did this a couple of years ago and would say 5 - 6 hours is a little optomistic but everyone's different. I didn't have to take any more exams though. The nav element is more challenging than the microlight equivalent too; much more precision called for in regard to timings and over longer distances. I think this reflects the possibility of you flying something capable of 250kts where everything happens so much faster (obviously!). Worth doing if you're that way inclined as it opens up some interesting aircraft - and aerobatics too (which is why I did it).

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Thanks to both of you. That's what I was thinking Gary. It certainly does open up a lot more doors in regards to what you can fly.

Lee

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Worth bearing in mind that EASA is shortly changing "the rules" and effectively shutting some of the doors

Quote:

If you have an NPPL(SSEA) and you only ever intend to fly non-EASA aeroplanes (e.g. amateur-built), then you may continue to maintain and use your NPPL in accordance with current national rules. However, if you foresee a need to fly EASA aeroplanes (e.g. C172, Pa28) after 7th April 2015, you will need to obtain an EASA licence.

Comment

SSEA class rating.

As I understand it, you will still be able to add the SSEA rating to your NPPL, then convert via a paperwork only process to a EASA LAPL(A).

Cookie

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Did this just before Christmas. Minimum of 7 hours plus 2 exams and a nav test. I prepped myself up for it by getting an extra 4 hours instruction in a PA28 before I went off and did the conversion course - for me personally that helped a lot. Got issued with a new NPPL (A) with the SSEA Rating. You can continue to fly Microlights on the same licence. I have just sent off for the LAPL having had another medical and filled all the forms in. It seems to be a "paperwork exercise" for the moment. The LAA has an informative and helpful section on their website.

Incidentally I did the course having converted from Flexwing to 3 Axis microlights earlier in the year and having built up some hours on 3 Axis. I don't think I would have done it as easily direct from Flexwing but then again, that is only me and my opinion of my own limited abilities!

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Just to be clear, I don't think you can't fly a microlight on an NPPL SSEA rating. You must also have a microlight rating.

I guess what you mean Lorraine, is that you have added an SSEA rating on to your existing NPPL license to sit alongside your microlight rating? Make sure they did include the microlight rating in the new issue!

Paul

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Jon (Cookie) Cooke wrote: As I understand it, you will still be able to add the SSEA rating to your NPPL, then convert via a paperwork only process to a EASA LAPL(A).

Cookie
                  is that going to remain an indefinite option Jon? - I had heard it was a time limited deal. if so that's really good news. I have been negotiating providing for Flying scholarship scheme which was previously being flown by a GA school - with an eye to being a stepping stone to wards an aviation career. The GA school is defunct now, and it means going offsite for GA training, so they have been looking at doing it through us. one of the passion killers in the negotiations was the apparent future door shutting reducing the value of microlight hours for cross credit.

Paul

Comment

SSEA class rating.

I believe the cut-off date is 08th April 2015 - issue of the NPPL must have taken place before this date in order to apply for conversion from NPPL(SSEA) to a LAPL(A) with SEP privileges using the conversion agreement. Note that mention is made of 'licence' not 'class rating' for that cut-off date!

See CAP 804, Section 2, Part C, page 1, para 2.3. You can apply for conversion at any time providing the licence issue was before that date.

However, there is the same cut-off date of 08th April 2015 for NPPL holders to act as PIC in EASA aircraft. I have been working on obtaining permission for EASA instructors to continue providing training for the SSEA rating on EASA aircraft.

Cookie

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Paul, good point. You are right. And yes, they did include the Microlight rating.

Comment

SSEA class rating.

EASA LAPL(A) arrived in post yesterday. Applied on 8th Feb and returned on 21 Feb. Fee was £47. Really good going, well done CAA!

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Does anyone know of a group A school who offer a SSEA course package (i.e a consecutive X-day course),
                          and also use a modern Rotax powered aircraft?
                          Iím thinking ; AT-3 or Tecnam P2002 or Group A Eurostar / EASA Sportcruiser
                          Any suggestions?
                          (Trustee of the Bakers Dozen Syndicate)

Comment

SSEA class rating.

I've just done my conversion to ssea in 3 consecutive afternoons with Mickey Kaye at Breighton. It was a 2 hour drive from home each way, but the closer schools I spoke to all seemed quite negative and showed a lack of knowledge about what was involved. Mickeys was keen, very reasonably priced and eager to help; he was happy for me to go at my own speed (which was the minimum 2 hours stall/spin stuff and 1 hour instrument training, however I wanted to do more instrument flying as I enjoyed it very much) followed by straight into the NST and GST. Total cost including the theory exams: well under £1k.

All this was done in C152 and C150; although old and tired, they were perfectly serviceable aircraft and I felt ideally suited to the instrument work involved in the training. The Rotax powered stuff that is approved for this is, IMHO, unsuitable due to fragility and reduced stability because of the lower weight. You may have seen Compton Abbas selling off their sportcruiser for this reason. The increased purchase price more than offsets the efficiency savings, so I doubt there will be much difference in the hourly rate.

I now will be undertaking differences training in my own Europa.

Comment

SSEA class rating.

Mickey Kaye is a great instructor - he did my Group A training before I changed to 3 Axis.

Such a nice chap.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X