VLA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLA question

I notice now that there are VLA aircraft being certified by BMAA, does that mean that you can fly a VLA on a BMAA licence?

VLA question

you can use your NPPL gained on microlights, but will need to add an SSEA rating - about five hours worth of a job if switched on.

Paul

Comment

VLA question

This is getting interesting. I think though as BMAA are able to certify the aircraft they should also be able to certify the license. The can do attitude is much nicer to learn under.

Comment

VLA question

I am afraid that the government / CAA and EASA insist that it's their instructors only who can train you for a heavier than microlight rating. It's also why the LAA have never been part of basic pilot training for their aircraft - only post license 'coaching'.

Paul

Comment

VLA question

I've done the NPPL (M) -> NPPL SSEA route.

It took me just over 6 hours in a PA28 Cherokee, from an Ikarus C42.

As Paul says, SSEA is only useful if you're staying in the UK and want to fly LAA permit aircraft (which is why I did it)

If you want to rent EASA aircraft (PA28s, C152, C172s etc) then you'll need to convert your SSEA rating into a EASA LAPL (Light Aircraft Pilots Licence)

I believe this should be a paperwork exercise, but you will need an EASA medical, which for all intents and purposes you can only obtain from an aero-medical examiner (AME)

Hope this helps.

Andy K

Comment

VLA question

Hi Paul

Most of the LAA coaches hold Class rating instructor licences, thus they are able to conduct difference training (i.e. NPPL M to SSEA) in fact all except initial training. For further information look at the LAA site and access Pilot Coaching.

Barry

Comment

VLA question

Hi Barry

Yes, I know most of them have gravitated that way, to tidy things up. I gather now under EASA that it might be that no new ones will be available though?

having experienced EASA, it does seem to make one sympathetic to a NO vote!

Paul

PS - I dont think NPPL M to SSEA is classified as differences training? - rather its a new type rating, and requires exams and GST. so I think that it is in all or part, outside of the remit of a CRI?

Comment

VLA question

Hi Paul,

ALL LAA Coaches hold an unrestricted Flight Instructor certificate or Class Rating Instructor certificate. This has been the case since the introduction of JAR-FCL in 1999.

I conduct the training for all new LAA coaches, who receive training at an Approved Training Organisation in accordance with an approved syllabus and upon completion candidates are subject to an Assessment of Competence with a Flight Instructor Examiner leading to the issue of a CAA/EASA Class Rating Instructor rating. It is a requirement of their continued appointment that all coaches maintain a valid licence, class rating, instructor certificate, and medical. Details of how to become a coach are contained in Coaching Scheme Leaflet 3.1:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/Pilot%20Coaching%20Scheme/Forms/CSL3.1%20Becoming%20a%20Coach.pdf

The LAA will be approved under EASA to continue to conduct instructor courses for LAA coaches.

Paul Dewhurst wrote: rather its a new type rating, and requires exams and GST. so I think that it is in all or part, outside of the remit of a CRI?
                A CRI with SEP privileges may conduct class rating training: training towards initial issue, revalidation, or renewal of a Microlight, SLMG, SSEA, or SEP class rating - all LAA coaches are so qualified. Thus if a pilot wishes to obtain an SSEA class rating and holds a NPPL M, then a CRI may conduct that training in accordance with the conversion criteria stipulated in CAP 804 and the NPPL website.

Cookie

------------------------------
                Jon Cooke
                Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman
                Light Aircraft Association

Comment

VLA question

thanks Jon

You say above that CRI's can do conversion training to add a rating, but also say that an LAA CRI can train towards initial issue of a Microlight rating - do you mean abinitio training or adding a microlight rating to an existing NPPL?

We have a dedicated syllabus and panel of examiners, training committee and run microlight instructor seminars. It is slightly concerning that a sperate outside system may exist for microlight training. Maybe we should connect in some way so that your guys don't miss important microlight related training points.

Paul

Comment

VLA question

Paul Dewhurst wrote: but also say that an LAA CRI can train towards initial issue of a Microlight rating - do you mean abinitio training or adding a microlight rating to an existing NPPL?
                    When talking about licensing, the terms ISSUE, RENEW, and REVALIDATE have specific definitions contained in the ANO and CAP 804. I am talking about ISSUE of a rating - not issue of a licence. Unfortunately, the NPPL forms confuse matters by talking about 'addition of a rating' where it should say 'ISSUE of a rating'.

However, as an aside you may be interested to know that the LAA does hold approval to conduct training towards initial issue of a licence (see Standards Document 30) as well - it would, of course, require an FI to conduct training towards initial ISSUE of a licence, of which there are a number of coaches who hold this certificate including myself.

Paul Dewhurst wrote: Maybe we should connect in some way so that your guys don't miss important microlight related training points.
                    Indeed, I agree Paul. I have spoken with Geoff over the weekend to try to achieve this. You may be aware that I am already involved in the delivery of seminars to pilots, instructors, and examiners.

If not, here's a few links:
                    http://www.ontrackaviation.com/fi-iri-seminars.html
                    http://www.ontrackaviation.com/fe-seminars.html
                    http://services.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3694
                    http://www.gasco.org.uk/seminars.aspx

You will appreciate that, whilst all coaches hold CRI privileges, there are many CRIs who are not LAA coaches.

ATB,

Cookie

Comment

Working...
                    X