EASA Licencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EASA Licencing

I have just been informed by the CAA that when I convert my JAR/JAA PPL (A) to the EASA equivalent I must pay an extra 22 to "prove" I can speak English.

I pointed out that despite being born in the UK and ONLY being able to speak English, my current licence already states "English proficient". Apparently that isn't enough and I must attend at a recognised "training facility" and be assessed.

I have also now been informed that to keep my FAA PPL valid I must "attend personally" at the CAA offices at Gatwick and pay them another 45 to "prove" my identity. Not too handy for us living in Glasgow?

Does anyone know if there's a way around the English thing as I've yet to speak to anyone else who's had to do this.

Has anyone else had this hassle?

EASA Licencing

Hi Billy,

You will only be charged 22 if you wish to have the CAA reprint your existing licence with the new Language Proficiency Level in it. If you add Level 6 Language Proficiency at the time of conversion to EASA there is no extra charge. See a full explanation of LPE here:

Language Proficiency

The ICAO standard for language proficiency has been applicable for some time, but EASA Aircrew Regulation makes it a requirement for the issue of a licence. In 2008 all Radio Telephony Licence holders were issued Level 4. Whilst Level 6 is a once only event and is valid for life, Level 4 is valid for 4 years, and Level 5 for 6 years. Therefore many UK licence holders now have an expired Language Proficiency on their electronic record.

This only becomes a problem when a licence application is processed, since a valid language proficiency is required for the CAA to issue the new licence.

I have signed a lot of these (several hundred!) over the last two years. You will need an examiner and a SRG 1199.

If you have any questions drop me an e-mail or call. My contact details are on the LAA website.

All the best,

Cookie

Comment

EASA Licencing

Jon (Cookie) Cooke wrote: You will only be charged 22 if you wish to have the CAA reprint your existing licence with the new Language Proficiency Level in it. If you add Level 6 Language Proficiency at the time of conversion to EASA there is no extra charge.
      Jon, I've been involved in extensive written communication with the CAA regarding my licence "conversion" and they have stated in writing I must pay an additional 22 at the time of application.

However, much like your reply, ohters have given completely different advice so it's still a bit vague.

I will give you a call to discuss. Thanks for your help.

Comment

EASA Licencing

Hi Billy,

It's in the CAA scheme of charges here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/281PLS.pdf

CAA ORS5 No. 281 wrote: Language Proficiency (LP) Level Assessment Licence Endorsement Amendment

When making an application to amend the LP licence endorsement, the applicant shall pay to the CAA a charge of 20 to update and re-issue the flight crew licence.

Note: The above charge for an LP licence endorsement amendment shall not be levied where it is associated with the conversion or replacement of a flight crew licence under charges within Tables 1 or 2 above.
        All the best, Cookie

Comment

Working...
        X