Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth upgrading to Group A?

[quote=Highland-flyer]

I'm in exactly the same predicament just now.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I suggest you guys look to the Whitehill Farm Aero Club website [here] to see what can be achieved with touring microlights.
    Not my cup of tea, but that's a different matter.
    Joan

Comment

Rick

Please not the blue ink you will remind me of some one.

Comment

Teddy Ellis wrote:

The whole issue of licences, ratings, medicals etc is such a mess.

Ted
        Alway was: always will be, but it keeps these forums active
        A bit like cars, bikes, quad bikes, three-wheelers, mopeds, lorries, steam rollers, busses, taxis, lawn mowers, ag vehicles - all different variations on licence requirements and on medicals and on conditions of use and on insurance requirements and on roadworthiness requirements and on road tax levels, but we're a flying forum so we don't discuss those problems.
        We're not alone.
        Joan

Comment

Not after reading all the crash reports on this forum. :tongue:

Comment

I know of a 3 axis microlighter who went to the right place (Bournemouth) and 2 days later and a few exams and around 1,000 got his Group A.
            In my view it is worth converting-bigger selection of a/c and higher payloads.And NO-running costs are not more expensive.I fly a 912s Alpi Pioneer 300 and i pay no more per year than flying a typical microlight ie.Eurostar.And yes-i did fly microlights for more than 10 years.
            I think that some microlighters are not doing their financial homework and are relying too much on hearsay-purely my opinion of course!
            Adrian

Comment

I too attended a Revalidation Course for my CAA PPL (A) at Bournemouth after it lapsed due to Medical condition and no Certificate of Experience in past 2 years. My requirement to meet CAA standards was assessed and then an assessment flight made. It was then decided what needed to be done and during the next 2 days I trained those points doing the GFT at the end. In all 8 hours flying. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found Bournemouth during weekdays a very busy Airport with many movements and extremely busy communications. The R/T practise of just flying in and out of their zone really is a confidence boost. If anyone wants more detail please PM me. Unfortunately it will take a little longer to clear the CAA Class 2 Medical so the Licence has been used to gain a NPPL (SEP) with its Class 2 Medical. Hope to get CAA Medical in next few months. Need to save for that!
              Regards
              Gerry

Comment

If you limit yourself to VLA types you will keep the low operating costs of a 3X micro but gain useful load. My MCR01 Club (sometimes inaccurately called a banbi), has an empty weight of 253kg and a MTOW of 490kg, so you can lift two 90kg people for over 4 hours at 138kn.

The Sport Cruiser is not yet fully approved. It is much slower than the MCR but will lift a lot of weight.

The Pioneer 300 has retractable undercarriage and based on the one I flew back to back with mine, similar numbers.

Others worth looking at are the Sting, or if you are ok with the speed, the VLA Eurostar, which is identical to the micro except for an electric fuel pump, and possibly the tri gear Europa.

All of the above, in VLA form, have to be home built, or bought second hand.

Rod1

Comment

Working...
                X