Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A truly nuts EU regulation for us to savour...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A truly nuts EU regulation for us to savour...

Recently the nice folk who supply us with nuts and bolts, insisted that they had to have the nut screwed onto the bolt, this was to comply with CE marking, that half-noticed little label you see on kettles and children’s toys.

I discovered that our poor chaps assembling steelwork on site were having to sit for an hour before each working day, undoing the nuts from the bolts to er, screw them together again….This is because the parts are sold as an ‘assembly’ so instead of just selling a box of bolts and a box of nuts with a CE mark and to that standard, they actually have to take them out and screw them together, for the crews to disassemble and reassemble again…

Ever get the feeling the EU is jealous of our relatively healthy economy, and is doing its level best to drag it down to their level?

Cheers

Kev
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

So if you lose a Nut or a Bolt, once they are all separated your screwed; as it were. I don't think that it's a conscious effort on their part to appear stupid, or something that they've done to hobble us. Rather that they have no experience in screwing anything together themselves - makes one wonder how they pick 'em for the job.......
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

One has to believe (for the sake of one's own sanity) that no-one at the EU sat down and decided that nuts and bolts must be delivered screwed together.
      It is more likely that the regulation is aimed at preventing misleading labeling.
      If you buy something described as, say, 'motor assembly' and open the box to find a bunch of stamped parts, two bearings and a coil of wire, you'd be reasonable in complaining that it's a kit, not an assembly.
      Such a well intended regulation may then be mis-applied by overzealous officials and result in boxes of nut/bolt assemblies.
      Much as we like to blame the EU for such things, it seems several other EU countries are quite capable of applying regulations in a sensible manner, while our authorities use them as a stick to beat us with.

Is there a different assembly number for bolts with the heads on the other end?
      Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Comment

Obviously done to stop anyone wishing to buy M6 bolts to use with a mixture of Nylocks, castleated, stiffnuts or other nut types at the same time.................or maybe it's a simple ploy on the part of the Distributor/Retailer etc designed to sell more bolts:-)

Wonder how one could buy a bolt complete with a plain nut and also a "Thin nut" for use as a lock nut at the same time?

Guess it could only happen in the UK

Comment

I suppose, just suppose, that in that particular environment the nuts and bolts are carefully matched pairs which shouldn't be mixed. On the other hand, maybe kev's supplier should find a less pedantic fastening supplier and get the nuts by the gross and the bolts by the gross, and then create their own nut'n'bolt assemblies on site... or don't they have the appropriate ISO certification to design their own nut'n'bolt assemblies (or technically, I would have thought, sub-assemblies)?
          :-)
          Joan

Comment

Joan Walsh wrote: I suppose, just suppose, that in that particular environment the nuts and bolts are carefully matched pairs which shouldn't be mixed. On the other hand, maybe kev's supplier should find a less pedantic fastening supplier and get the nuts by the gross and the bolts by the gross, and then create their own nut'n'bolt assemblies on site... or don't they have the appropriate ISO certification to design their own nut'n'bolt assemblies (or technically, I would have thought, sub-assemblies)?
            :-)
            Joan
            *Excellent try Joan

This has been mournfully gone through by T&D Fixings, Bapp Industrial local branch and Andrews fixings at Leeds

To be sold as a CE marked assembly compliant to EN15048-1 for a permanent structure, it has to have the bolt, washer and nut screwed together; law of the land according to Bapp Industrial Technical (Wayen Greeley)

The lunatics have now definitely gained control of the asylum...

Cheers

Kev
            G-KEVA
            BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Don't knock it:yeah:
              Hope you now have a "nuts and bolts coordination Director" to ensure the nuts,bolts and washers supplied as 1 item never get separated and make it a criminal offence to strip the thread of on a nut/bolt...thereby rendering the assembly useless.

If the threads on a nut from an item supplied as a "Nut, Bolt Washer assembly" part number is stripped by an over zealous "engineer". does that mena that the washer is scrap?

Bu%%%$gER me!!!!!!!!!!!!
              "You.. voted for it":-)

"The plebs shall get the government they deserve"
              :rofl:
              :roll:

Comment

Working...
              X