Chat about anything...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat about anything...

"Chat about anything you want in here - saves clagging up the other forums!" that's what it says in the forum descriptor.

What this forum needs is a general, wide-ranging, non-aviation chat-about-anything thread... so here it is. If it's successful (and the mods permit) I promise not to resurrect the Word Association thread ;-)

Non-aviation subjects permitted - in fact encouraged. So...

... on a journey back from Staffordshire yesterday we were looking for a non-BurgerKing stop off and found Herbies Diner on the A14. Surprisingly his American themed diner was pleasant to eat in and the food tasted better than Ronald McD's products...

Ok, ramble on from there everyone.

Joan
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    R examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Just to think, folks used to whinge about the quality of Little Chefs, it seems the answer is to sink to a lower level to stop folks using them at all. I agree about Herbies, but you have to like the early rock music background

Comment

There is a Co-op eight 'till late that has recently opened across the road from Old Sarum. With hundreds of lemmings and their entourages there yesterday, getting fed would have been impossible. I walked over there instead and bought a decent sandwich while waiting for the day's Main Event. MYJD (hereinafter "Jammie Dodger"), arrived from East Durham to its new home and I am going to have to learn to zigzag when taxying.

Comment

Originally posted by tomshep View Post
        ... I am going to have to learn to zigzag when taxying.
        I've never had any problem doing that, especially in a crosswind

Ditto when riding a bike - I found wobbling resulted in wider gaps from overtaking cars (but that was a long time ago, things might have changed).
        Last edited by Joan Walsh; 23rd July 2019, 15:13. Reason: Ditto etc.

Comment

Continuing the zigzag theme, I have begun to learn the sewing machine. I wound a beautifully even bobbin of thread and fitted it into the correct place when there was a small but definite explosion from the other end of the machine and the magic smoke came out. The next half hour was sent learning to fix the machine. One wing cover is taking recognisable shape though so not a wasted evening.

Comment

Ah! magic smoke - a career in electrical engineering means I've encountered that in a wide variety of situations.
            One of my favourites was many years ago when one of my colleagues demonstrated (accidentally) that it was possible to write software that could set a (particular type) of computer alight - it involved leaving the disc head actuator permanently energised ;-)

Comment

It usually requires a customer visit to make it manifest itself, as you will know.

Now have two embryonic wing covers to trial fit and the Caa have now registered the aircraft. Feel like I am coming down with sky fever.

Comment

Originally posted by tomshep View Post
                ...Feel like I am coming down with sky fever.
                No, it's just the recent heat wave.

Comment

First of September. TV Met people call this the start of 'meteorological autumn'. Anybody know the reason for this other than calendrical convenience?

To me, Autumn starts when the leaves start turning, which in my part of the world is part way through September after the last warm days of summer.

Discuss

Comment

The Meteorological Calendar is just that - some nominal dates used only as convenient references.
                    Spring - March, April, May
                    Summer - June, July, August
                    Autumn - September, October, November
                    Winter - December, January, February
                    If they went by the traditional indicators:
                    Spring - Enough sunlight to see that the windows need cleaning
                    Summer - Periods of sunshine and optimistic barbecues
                    Autumn - Windy but still occasionally tolerable
                    Winter - Cold and wet
                    They would have been in chaos in recent years.
                    Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Comment

Maybe so Pete but the changing weather is also aided by the fading memories of years past. For instance my recollections of school holidays is of baking hot days and the pavements almost burning the feet through the soles of my shoes. I'm sure that any research would prove that to be rubbish. But I'll stick with the good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Twissell View Post
                        If they went by the traditional indicators:
                        They would have been in chaos in recent years.

Huh! I've just noticed this form has no 'thanks' nor 'like' option.

Comment

Not like me! Listening to the test match live.
                          England 194-8. Need to bat out the day for a draw.

Comment

Working...
                          X