Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind Farm - Test Mast - help needed

Hi all,

There is a Planning Application in hand to put a wind farm near to our airfield

As part of the process the applicants are putting up 2 test masts to gather info re wind strength etc

Masts will be 250ft, supported by guy wires

I am trying to get the applicants to put high vis balls on the wires as I have concerns about aircraft safety - one mast will be within our circuit pattern, which we can't change for local reasons

Apllicants say nobody has asked for this before and they can't find suitable balls

Anybody out there got similar experience? Know where I can get a load of balls! (Polite replies only please!)

Thanks all

Paul Brooker
    paul@am-oils.co.uk
    07973 479309

Wind Farm - Test Mast - help needed

they make them for telephone wires pidgeon fanciers can get them installed mybe they can't be botherd,make sure the locals object to it,wave power is the answer

Comment

Contact Ian Rosenvinge at Peterlee Skydive Centre - he has fought off two serious applications and will offer advice as to the best grounds to fight them, and also probably give you names of people who can help.
      Mike

Comment

I read it that Paul isn't complaining about the mast per se, he just want visibility. Personally I can't see the problem with wind power. I actually like them! They are quite statuesque!! I also agree that wave and tidal are the way to go.

Comment

Got one at North Newbald, frightened me to death one day when cloudbase was low and only spotted it looking sideways.... :smhair:

Wrote to the CAA and they were helpful, but advised they could do nothing. Nice feller to deal with though.

They're rather good at advising us what to do to be safe, but powerless to prevent others compromising our safety.

Here's the copies of his responses:-

Kevin,

) applies. This Article requires that for en-route obstructions (ie away from aerodromes) lighting only becomes legally mandated for structures of a height of 150m or more. However, structures of lesser high might need aviation obstruction lighting if, by virtue of their location and nature, they are considered a significant navigational hazard. Routinely, structures less than 150m high and away from the immediate vicinity of an aerodrome are not routinely lit for civil aviation purposes.[3] [/3][/list]

tony.rapson@caa.co.uk
          [url=http://www.caa.co.uk/][u]

[3] [/3]

[3] [/3]

[3]

[/3]
          G-KEVA
          BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Thanks guys for input so far.

If we object to the wind farm then the land owner, who stands to make big money from the windfarm, will kick us off.

So no point in objecting

But I do want to ensure safe flight for all concerned - they are proposing to put 5" orange bird deterrent disks on the wires

But a 5" disk will not be seen if it is at right angles to the flyer. Also, who is going to see a small 5" disk at 100mph in some of the faster planes, late in the day, sun in your eyes, not familiar with the strip..... I would like to find some bigger, high vis balls, but not too big or expensive to be rejected by Ecotricity

Thanks all

Paul

Comment

this country will look like an H G Wells horror scape full of these horrible monsters ,ive been to palmsprings and there must be thousands there ,severn estuary should not have been shelved ,feel sorry for you guys.

Comment

hi all , we just 3 of them put in the next but 1 field to our airfield , belle vue in devon , & although im not at all anti , always quite liked them , there right in line with final approach , & its already put of several visiting aircraft , who have aborted landings & gone elsewhere , very dangerous to stick them so close & on the aproach to an active airfield in my opinion !! not to mention the effects of turbulance the churning blades give of , (depending on wind direction of course ) when flying so close to them ? But , it seems , when it comes to "green issues & local councils " plus the money they generate for the land owners , verses us noise polluting nuisance aviators , we dont stand a chance when it comes to stopping them being put up in these certain places ! certainly didnt it this case ! it seems the need for them , the green issues , council views etc etc , far out wiegh putting pilots lives at risk !!!!! im all for wind turbines , but in suitable places , where they do not interfere with anyone or put anyone at risk !!!!

Comment

Those duff CDs make excellent bird scarers if strung up on small posts in a field. They flash in the sunlight and can be seen for miles.

Comment

That's a good idea - I can't find anything suitable on the internet

Thanks Bill

Paul

Comment

Dave Nixon wrote: this country will look like an H G Wells horror scape full of these horrible monsters ,ive been to palmsprings and there must be thousands there ,severn estuary should not have been shelved ,feel sorry for you guys.
                      Funny you should say that Dave....

Attached files

Comment

Hey David I like that....
                        Graham Jefferies
                        BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Paul,

It is all very well wondering if you'll be kicked off your field if you object, but the reality is that you will be forced to abandon your field anyway once they are built - assuming you are talking about the 160m commerical turbines rather than the small semi-domestic Proven type.

www.strathavenairfield.co.uk/wind.html gives links to our responses to potential wind developments around here. We already have 160-odd 150m turbines 5,000m from the airfield.

Things like that two fields away would mean I would not want to have anything to do with your airfield on the grounds of potential liability - another of my areas of expertise learnt the hard way! If the farmer has any sense, he won't either!

As for anyone lese, get an airfield safeguarding map drawn up and lodged with the council.

Comment

One thing learned at my recent ATC safety seminar at Waddington: Windfarms create a radar 'black hole' of infinite height above their location. Nothing can be seen in that spot. Can still 'see' effectively before and beyond though.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Sorry to disagree. While you are correct, the answer is you spend millions building a second radar at another site that can't "see" the windfarm in question.

Then you make a composite picture of the two - or three or four! - returns and "voila", you can see traffic in the airspace above the turbines, and not see the turbines!

(this is what they did at Whitelee, Europe's largest onshore windfarm at the end of Strathaven's runway, by building a new radar station at Kincardine. Hence the current airspace change proposal to release the Glasgow Airport Class D above the windfarms back to Class G up to 3,500ft - Glasgow now, having spent millions so as not to see the turbines, can't "control" the lower airspace because they can't "see" it either.

Hope that is a clear explanation!

Comment

Working...
                              X