BMAA Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMAA Policy

Enjoyed MF mag this month but very alarmed at something!
    The 'new' Editor enjoyed his trip to the German plane fest but then I read several more BMAA staff went as well.

I didn't go this year because of costs but I am very surprised I could afford to send others to a jolly.

How much have we as a group been forced to spend on these freebies???- especially when the authorities in-place are all working together tp prevent all the beautiful machines available to our European 'cousins' from appearing over here?????????????

Methinks we are still suffering from the VC 10/Brabason/Brittania mind set when only Brits knew best.

Not long ago, a plane being sold all over the planet was eventually allowed into the UK market on the proviso it had an extra inch added to its fin!, all on the say-so of the Boss of that organisation. That speaks volumes of how we are trapped into this Island mentality which is frankly killing our get-up-and-go.

A guest from the Czech Republic was recently oozing on about their industry, exporting all over the world and helping the country survive. The cohort of CAA/BMAA/LAA is working against the old Brit spirit and we will all suffer as a result.

Dont get me wrong PD, as you will be the first to reply, I have nothing against any individual, just the mindset which either changes or we all suffer, ( apart from a few importers licensed to 'make a living')

HB

BMAA Policy

Brabazon mind-set amused me.

I am not sure about the politics of this letter, but it made me chuckle and did make me think.

X-air pilot
    Previously owned flexwings, incl. Quantum 15-582 and Flylight Dragonfly.

Comment

BMAA Policy

Agree on the politics of the letter and has made me think again on just why we do so much to nip in the bud any kind of entrepreneurship.

Though with the current state of the economy I'm not sure anyone would want to start a business, let alone one involving aviation of any sort.

I am certain though a request to Deddington will bring answers in terms of cost and who paid for what.

Neil
      In Kenya so still waiting for his copy...

Comment

BMAA Policy

The exhibitions provide a very good venue for discussion and are a big opportunity if you want to see what everyone else is doing.

It was at such exhibitions in the 1990s that the first steps towards a European wide paraglider certification scheme were taken. That scheme came to fruition in 2005, with enormous benefits for all.

If BMAA/LAA reps don't go to such meetings to look at the market and discuss certification schemes with other countries manufacturers, then the day when some of these unavailable aircraft might get onto our market gets further away.

I'm in favour of a small number of key BMAA people going to these sort of exhibitions as it will further the association's aims and objectives. Meetings with opposite numbers from other countries especially in Europe is very necessary.

There is no MPs' expenses claim scandal here. It's not like we are paying for people in positions of authority to attend orgies in **** regalia, whilst snorting coke off a ho's behind. BMAA money is not funding the crack dens of Europe. Let's hope those of you with genteel dispositions aren't coughing into your cocoa. :rofl:

And of course, the only reason for the general coverage about the German jamboree (apart from Mike C's nice pics) is that the mag reported it.

For many years I covered the St Hilaire festival for the BHPA magazine. It was a lot of hand work, with days spent interviewing and nights writing up, and background research to do either before or after.

A jolly? I doubt it. Money well spent.

Comment

BMAA Policy

Nice catchy thread title.
          Sorry Hugh, I'm not sure you've understood BMAA policy.
          Did you read the article in MF a few months back?
          That explains it better than any forum post could.
          Meanwhile, we do what we can within the law of this country,
          and we do what we can to change it for the better where we can.

Joan

Comment

BMAA Policy

Someone's looking for a fight ;-)

Comment

BMAA Policy

Joan Walsh wrote: Nice catchy thread title.
              Sorry Hugh, I'm not sure you've understood BMAA policy.
              Did you read the article in MF a few months back?
              That explains it better than any forum post could.
              Meanwhile, we do what we can within the law of this country,
              and we do what we can to change it for the better where we can.

Joan
              Big thumbs up ;-)
              X-air pilot

Comment

BMAA Policy

Hugh, I don't think your beef is really with BMAA policy at all, or even really CAA policy. This has more to do with the nouveau beureacracy that has gradually transformed the prevailing attitude in this country from 'Can do' to 'can't do'. That attitude is starting to change back as new generations learn to ignore the rules all over again, but change happens slowly. Especially in aviation. This isn't a new thing though. It has been going on for years, which is one of the reasons our manufacturing and automotive industries are in a dire state. We do innovation very well indeed in this country (see our new technologies and biotech sectors for evidence), but when it is stifled by politics it can be very frustrating for all. However, I do see the BMAA fighting on our behalf (generally). They just know better how to pick their fights for best chance of success, and I trust them to know this.

Comment

BMAA Policy

It seems to me that SSDR, which Paul Dewhurst et al at the BMAA championed with the CAA and got approved is a brilliant example of a "can do" attitude. It seemed to me then, and still seems to me now, a quite incredible innovation...and might once have been inconceivable.....

DE-REGULATION in this day and age!! Who'd have imagined it; yet we have it!

The fact that the BMAA did that for us was why, even when I didn't have to be in it, I stuck with the BMAA when I went SSDR.
                  X-air pilot

Comment

BMAA Policy

Hugh

your mistake is automatically assuming that BMAA paid for anyone to go to Freidrichshafen and then get all leery about such a notion. How about just asking rather than this tiresome attack? We didnt pay for any staff to go to my knowledge. they happen to be enthusiasts too and went out of their own interest and education. I went last year and ther year before, and despite being on Council I did not get any BMAA money to go!

Geoff Hill will have got paid for writing the aricle ( its his job!)but won't have been on a fully paid junket.

As for BMAA policy - please read the long article I wrote for MF where current policy is explained.

We might not have all the freedom we wish for but that doesn't mean that the moment you are a Council member some weird brainwashing happens and we all sit round trying to make it harder and inventing protectionist policy! - indeed we are the BMAA members working to try and improve things - what are you doing about it?

And as for having a go at LAA / BMAA engineers insisting on changes to aircraft to achieve certification here, it's not them or their whims but rather the legal burden we have placed on us by the government that section S has to be complied with. so really it's a case of don't shoot the messenger. of course we could just not bother to do the work, but then there wouldn't be any homebuilt aircraft in the Uk, - only type approved readybuilts through A1 approval route ( more burdensome and expensive), and Mods would be really difficult.

Not all a free ride elsewhere in Europe either, spain for example at the moment won't accept UK certification for the Nynja, and has Introduced a whole new raft of requirements to be tested above what is needed for UK certification. and Reality aircraft are being given a big run around trying to sell the Kid in Germany.

A Europe wide system to get rid of all those national differences would be a logical place to go - but at present EASA isn't fit for such a purpose and has made things much harder for Gliding for instance by doing just that, and is making a right Horlicks of dealing with LSA types through the ElA process and part M maintenance - causing even a big grown up player like Cessna, to withdraw and give back lots of deposit money taken for their Skycatcher. countries like France will, fight to the last to resist change to their microlight systems, and EASA realise that trying to make a EU microlight system would be their hardest challenge yet, so have no plan to do so.

So we are stuck for the forseeable future with National rules for Microlights. you might not believe it, but a lot of work goes on by BMAA staff and volunteers to try and improve our lot in that regard. SSDR is one result, but actually a lot more time and effort by several multiples has been expended trying to change the certification and permit rules. big program just now of negotiation with CAA to simplify, standardise and reduce costs and timescales for A1 manufacturer approval. To do that may mean more devolvement of the approval work to BMAA. please don't then make the mistake of thinking it's BMAA inventing the obstacles - when in fact of course it's BMAA trying to make it easier to navigate them.

Paul

Comment

BMAA Policy

Thanks Paul for a concise and plain English answer to a thread.
                      The majority of us are appreciative of what goes on behind the scenes with the BMAA (and LAA) to keep us flying, keeping our costs low and keeping cumbersome bureaucracy to a minimum., while it will never be got rid of completely at least we have the BMAA and such to fight our corner with good people at the helm we are in quite safe hands. Thanks again.

Comment

BMAA Policy

Well done Paul. It is all too easy to complain about perceived deficiency without knowing all the facts. Even easier to complain without offering suggestions on improvements or, dare we suggest, offering time and help. I'm with Jon. Thanks to theBMAA for what they do with little praise.

Allan

Comment

BMAA Policy

Paul Dewhurst wrote:

As for BMAA policy - please read the long article I wrote for MF where current policy is explained.
                          Thanks to those of you who wrote nice words; it is appreciated. Those of you who want to (re?)read Paul's article, it's in the February 2012 edition of Microlight Flying (here).

Joan

Comment

BMAA Policy

Jon Kilpatrick wrote:
                            The majority of us are appreciative of what goes on behind the scenes with the BMAA (and LAA) to keep us flying, keeping our costs low and keeping cumbersome bureaucracy to a minimum., while it will never be got rid of completely at least we have the BMAA and such to fight our corner with good people at the helm we are in quite safe hands. Thanks again.
                            [6]Hear, Hear![/6]
                            X-air pilot

Comment

BMAA Policy

[quote=Jon Kilpatrick]
                              The majority of us are appreciative of what goes on behind the scenes with the BMAA (and LAA) to keep us flying, keeping our costs low and keeping cumbersome bureaucracy to a minimum., while it will never be got rid of completely at least we have the BMAA and such to fight our corner with good people at the helm we are in quite safe hands. Thanks again. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X