Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microlight Welcome at ATC airfields and Vortex Wake Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied

When you get as ancient as me you forget these things

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[/b]

[color=#0000ff>Sadly]

Now what were you saying anyway? ;-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Peter my mention of you was not intended as a criticism but merely to point out that unlike most GA aircraft your Maule can exceed the climb angle of most if not all microlights. This is of course very different to most GA types who, although their climb rates are higher than many microlights the climb angle is comparatively very much flatter. This enables a microlight to remain clear of the turbulance caused by the preceding aircraft. I used you and your Maule as demonstation that you cannot, as so many things in aviation, take anything for granted, as the climb performance of a Maule and a few others like the Zenair 701 are very different from the products of messers Piper and Cessna.
    I did not deny that can be a place for stream take offs but I still hold to the opinion that most are undertaken to show how clever the pilot is. This will always involve a risk, however this is minimsed by the skills and pre briefing by the pilots involved but is still a risk which is normally easily avoided. If that makes me seem a silly old sod I'll refer to well known saying about old and bold pilots

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Although I have always been very aware of the potential of wake vortex Iv'e found that with a little understanding the properties of a microlight actualy help.
    As turbulance is caused largely by a wing actualy flying landing should seldom cause a problem. As the following aircraft I use the microlights steeper approach to avoid the flightpath and land beyond the touchdown point of the heavier aircraft and use the other microlight feature of only needing a compartively short strip. With take offs, if the wind is directly down the runway, in my limeted experiance that is quite rare, you must give it the recomended time to clear. If the wind is anywhere else your lift off will be before the point at which the preceding wing started to lift and your steeper climb angle will keep you clear. Stream take offs are okay as long the rear aircraft is on the upwind side of the runway if you must, but they are normaly a show off thing so is it worth narrowing your safety band for?
    This is of course very general and does not take into account people like Peter in his Maule
    As for attitudes at GA airfields this is as mixed as the weather. Old Sarum as already stated is great with the inner and outer circuits, Andrewfield in Essex opperate a similar system and good old North Weald manage just fine with a mixture ranging from Jets to my trusty old TST. As I said though, the picture is patchy and one other Essex airfield (renowned for including large areas of sky outside their ATZ within their circuit) they will grudgingly accept 3axis microlights only. With this condescending attitude I'd as soon burn my pound notes than pay them a landing fee

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The answer has to be to climb - the layer of WT caused by the jet will spread to the sides and descend, if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I would crap myself because I hadn't spotted him earlier.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[color=#0000ff>

[b]

[color=#0000ff>

200yds ahead of you at the same height, what evasive action would you take?

:freaked:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I always thought wake vortex was something you got from big aeroplanes and not microlights. But I was shown the error of my ways recently.

I was flying in formation with a C42, and at one point I flew directly behind him, at about 100m distant. The wake vortex threw me quite literally all over the place. It was for a short moment rather frightening until I realised what it was and moved away.

I shall keep my distance from ALL a/c in future!

Andy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I can only talk of being made welcome.

I find it quite disgusting that an airfield can open its doors to microlights, sanction the formation of a microlight flying school, accept my aircraft to be hangared there, then close the doors again before the school made it first flight. (The school had taken bookings though, and taken money but had to refund the lot). The School was significantly out of pocket from the whole experience.

Did Gloucestershire Airport make me welcome? not at all. Did they care about the expense that they caused the school? not at all. Did they make excuses about slower aircraft in the circuit? yes they did. Do they have enough room for two circuit patterns? infinately so. Would I trust GA? never again?

Sorry that was all negative, but you have hit on a raw nerve with that one.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Microlight Welcome at ATC airfields and Vortex Wake Experiences?

Over on the forum on the 'fly on track' website www.flyontrack.co.uk an Air Traffic Controller has posed the question to any microlighters wanting to answer:

[color=purple>

[/b] being integrated into busy GA airfields? Are they made welcome? Has anyone given any thought to how Vortex wake may effect them?[/color]

I think judging by his next question (aimed at other air traffic controllers) this has been prompted by the newer, better, faster microlights now venturing to busier places as they can keep up (and maybe overtake) the spam cans. I suspect by 'busy GA airfields' he is thinking of places with formal ATC, for example, similar to Cranfield, Shoreham, etc, not Popham on a 'fly-in' day where microlights abound anyway.

If anyone wants to answer here only with any experiences, (esp. vortex wake issues), I'll copy it over, or if you want to post here and cut and paste to over there too yourself, feel free.

Thanks.

Irv Lee

GASCO's Fly On Track www.flyontrack.co.uk
Working...
X