Airspace Infringements - Radar Replays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airspace Infringements - Radar Replays

Christmas is early for me! A 'little project' I've been pushing for since taking over the Fly On Track website for GASCo in Spring 2006 has come to see the light of day, and there are plenty of people in NATS to be thanked for making it all possible - great attitude amongst everyone I met at NATS in the process.

I'm slowly working on transforming the old 'Fly On Track' site into a current 'readable' information resource either with information actually on the site, or pointers to where it may be hiding on other sites. 'Pretty' it might not be yet, but it does now have links that work and some useful stuff which will build with time. (Substance before style as money is always tight in a charity like GASCo, so full cosmetic make over can wait)

However, to get GA pilots to visit the fly on track site a couple of times per month to see what's new with links and to read 'hot news', etc. I wanted some "ground bait" and now, thanks to NATS, I've got the very 2 things I was asking for - infringement stats (graphs) as announced in October and now 'real' radar replays of 'interesting' airspace busts, both updated monthly (approx). (The radar replay has been speeded up a bit so you don't get bored and it takes less space and time)

So here you have them - the radar is well worth a few replays - it's a WMV file (Windows Media Player file). Home page: www.flyontrack.co.uk- see 'yellow tabs' up top for links, tips, radar and 'stats'

Enjoy, I'm off for a pint this evening but the radar is quite 'sobering' - well worth a look!

ps: edited to correct spelling in the title

Irv Lee

Fly on Track (GASCo's Infringement Avoidance Project)

www.flyontrack.co.uk

Irv, The website is really full of fantastic stuff. But first impressions are very important and therefore so is presentation.

I really hpe you have great success with this as it is an important resource for the community.

Please have a look at Joomla. Joomla is a content management system that is designed for that type of site. It is compleyely free of charge; can be downloaded from the internet and uploaded to your own server, is fully customisable and should make your life such a lot easier.

I am nothing to do with Joomla by the way so I am not pushing anything other than making your life easier and helping make your valuable website more appealing. Joomla have there own forums just like this where people will help you setup and configure it.

All of this assumes you are using a linux or unix server with PHP, and MySQL installed. If not then there are a myriad of other free CMSs available. Search the web for CMS or 'Content Management Systems'

Regards

Trevor

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a look

Comment

[/b] it now.

In March 2007, the base of UK Class C airspace will be lowered to Flight Level 195. The CAA says: "At the same time (to bring the UK in line with Eurocontrol Flexible Use of Airspace definitions), Temporary Reserved Areas (TRAs) will be established to cover specific parts of airspace between FL195 and FL245 to accommodate the various VFR and military operational requirements of UK airspace users." Did you notice that 'TRA'? That term will now only apply to bits of airspace over FL195.

Restricted Areas (Temporary), or RA(T)s, are what we will now have to look out for when planning a route. Remember that: RA(T)s (as in "RATs - I'll have to replan my entire route").

The big concern, of course, is that at some point in the future, somebody will forget the bit in brackets and Restricted Areas (Temporary) will become Restriction Areas. Full stop. But that would never happen, would it?

An AIC detailing the changes to RA(T)s (123/2006, Yellow 225) will be issued in early December.

[/b]
        Useful websites.
        http://www.caa.co.uk

http://www.ais.org.uk

<!-- Back to news main page

-->

Comment

Irv,

The radar replay is fantastic fun! Have you got in touch with the monthly flying magazines? I'm sure they'd be happy to reprint the web address.

I was interested to read that the infringer was flying 202 magnetic rather than 220 magnetic and mistakenly identified several large towns before realising he was lost. I'm well aware of the arguments against 'feature crawling' (ie. checking your position against the chart every 2 seconds) but I do find it slightly weird that dead reckoning is still recommended as the best form of aerial navigation for light aircraft (see for example the Trevor Thom textbook). Obviously minimising head-down time is important if a sensible visual look out is to be maintained, but not infringing controlled airspace is also pretty crucial! The emphasis on classical DR for VFR flying seems to overlook this and to be rather dogmatic IMHO.

As a microlighter I was taught to select waypoints along my intended track and to positively identify them if at all possible. The aim was to have a waypoint in sight at all times, with two in sight at the beginning of each leg (if possible) in order to check the wind drift. I know we microlighters have the privilege of great visibility and slow ground speeds, which makes navigation simpler, but this seems a more sensible approach than pure DR for VFR flying to me. If I'm flying in the vicinity of controled airspace I tend to plan a route that will give me good waypoints so that I'm reasonably certain where I am! :-)

I'd be interested to know what the Fly-on-Track team think about this.

Tom

Comment

Sorry for delay, I've been in S Africa and had limited access - just a v. quick answer for now as I'm still ploughing through email - maybe more later when I catch up:

Not sure what the fly on track TEAM think but I personally think we are apt to use/teach a lot of ideas that were adequate and acceptable to flying and airspace in the 1950s and 60s but these have not advanced with the times (and should have done). Using the old fashioned "dead reckoning only checking chart every 'x' minutes'" around some (obvious) congested parts of the country is asking for trouble one day - for example, many students are taught to use winds from Metform 214 to calculate their nav plan - but very few instructors point out this is:
            [list type=decimal]
            * A forecast

* Valid at a given time[/list type=decimal]
            So sooner or later, the wind is not going to be as forecast.

Comment

Still fun to watch on a foggy day

http://www.flyontrack.co.uk/content/radar.asp

Is this why they want a TMZ round my local patch?

Joan
              :smurf:

Comment

Definitely an interesting right up but a shame the links don't work, or is it me?
                John

Comment

John Otter wrote:
                  Definitely an interesting right up but a shame the links don't work, or is it me?
                  John
                  I can't get the home page at the moment, must be some server maintenance, I'll check the links when it comes back. It will be worth starting the actual top level 'home page' www.flyontrack.co.uk when it comes back, as the whole site moved physical server over a week ago and the subdirectories will have changed names anyway

added: Now the main url works, I think they have done something 'magical' on the new server and managed to destroy some links to the radar replays, I'll rebuild them - thanks for pointing it out

Comment

I could get the home page just not the links to the radar replays, ho hum ;-)
                    I'll be patient.
                    John

Comment

John Otter wrote:
                      I could get the home page just not the links to the radar replays, ho hum [IMG]/forums/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG]
                      I'll be patient.
                      John
                      I've managed to get the Manchester one (2nd one down) working but the others just refuse to play (!) even though they are physically there. I'll have to try and reload them

Comment

Irv, the Manchester one starts Windows Media player but then WMV says it can't find the file. One thing I did notice, the Manchester link only has "fly on track" once in the address, all the rest have it twice.
                        John

Comment

I think the replays are up and working again now.... I'm sure I'll soon be told if not!

Comment

Oh I give up . . .
                            John

Comment

Works for me.

By the way, are the current Mode S proposals going to make transponders compulsory for all aircraft, even outside controlled airspace? I note that the Wind Energy industry is citing the Mode S proposals as a solution for wind turbine interference with primary radar, by their logic once everyone has a transponder then primary radar becomes unimportant. In fact some planning applications are arguing that case in response to air traffic control objections.

If transponders aren't compulsory outside controlled airspace, then inadvertent entry like the Standstead case wouldn't be detected.

Tony S

Comment

Working...
                              X