Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility to pay BMAA membership by monthly subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility to pay BMAA membership by monthly subs?

I have set up a poll on behalf of Terry Viner, a BMAA Council member for those who don't know him. He would like to pose the question:

"Would you like the facility to be able to pay your BMAA membership subscription by monthly instalments?"

That's not necessarily that you would do if it was offered, but would you like the choice?

If you have any questions or comments, please post them below.

Steve

Shouldn't this be in the members only section?
    Martin Watson
    Microlights in Norfolk
    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
    07805 716407

Comment

Martin Watson wrote: Steve

Not really, because we want to also see if there will be a membership retention or attraction aspect to it if those who do not need to be members but would like to be will find it possible to remain on/join the membership if it can be spread over the year.

Comment

It'd be neat. Join & pay a month; get Permit done; quit and stop paying till next year :-)

I presume that wasn't the intention...

Comment

Might get a few more members if they have the option,handy if you're renewal is at a bad time,yes for me

Comment

Steve Uzochukwu wrote:
            Originally posted by Martin Watson
            Steve

Not really, because we want to also see if there will be a membership retention or attraction aspect to it if those who do not need to be members but would like to be will find it possible to remain on/join the membership if it can be spread over the year.
            How will you know from the poll results alone? Do you really think people are going to post on here saying "its a great idea, the only thing that's stopping me being a member is that I have to pay a whole year's fee at one time"?

Unattributable surveys are pretty much useless at throwing any light on what people will actually do. I don't think the Council should be swayed one way or the other by a few folk like me voting on here. If the Council think its a good idea, then they should have courage in their convictions and give it a try and see what happens - it can always be got rid of if it doesn't work and costs too much.

Joan's (I guess at least partly tongue in cheek) comment does point to an issue though - the proposal does open up the possibility of abuse. An unintended consequence might be that you have to insist on an owner having been a member for a minimum period before they could get a permit done, and that would be a real shot in the foot!!

For what its worth I voted no. I cannot see that the one off cost of membership once a year is a barrier that would be removed by spreading it over instalments. I think it would result in exactly zero growth in membership and presumably would cost to administer and in lost interest.
            Martin Watson
            Microlights in Norfolk
            Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
            07805 716407

Comment

Has Terry asked the office to quantify the cost of administering monthly subs and does he have any idea of how many new members he expects to attract with monthly subs?

Obviously not, because if he had, this poll would not have seen the light of day.

Comment

Council don't like the idea ( at least up to and including the last meeting I went to) , but Terry won't take no for an answer!

Problems raised were how do we guard against abuse, and also the extra cost of admin and tracking and taking the payments - which of course would mean this option is likely to have to be a higher costs overall. That really should be in the poll, to make it slightly more useful.

I used to pay a three year membership before going DD ( cheaper as it avoided two years worth of price rises..) so rather on the opposite end of the spectrum!

Paul

Comment

Joan Walsh wrote: It'd be neat. Join & pay a month; get Permit done; quit and stop paying till next year :-)

I presume that wasn't the intention...
                  You can already do that Joan so whats the differance, BUT what about the non flying possible members and the ssdr members that have no need for us now, well thats what some of them think,

Comment

Maybe even a new rate for those who don't need the tech office facility and put the tech burden on those members who do? Just another option...

Comment

Hardly worth it, is it? If you struggle to pay/budget for the annual BMAA membership cost, you really should be considering if you can afford to fly at all!

Comment

I'm not going to vote. The question is pointless without the context of how much it would cost.

Comment

Donald Walker wrote: Has Terry asked the office to quantify the cost of administering monthly subs and does he have any idea of how many new members he expects to attract with monthly subs?

Obviously not, because if he had, this poll would not have seen the light of day.
                          I cant swear at you Donald so here go'es, I for one would not be a member if I had to pay all in one go (thats if I didnt have a plane,
                          Ive talked with quite a few members past that would have stayed in if they had the option, another thing that people with Pauls way off thinking is that if they wernt members a lot of them wouldnt attend the shows and events because they get no discount, Some of the member benifits are a, attraction in some cases, There are millions of people that have there car insurance, Television and RAC/AA membership by split payments, it does make a heck of a differance when on a small fixed income, this idea is not just about the people with Planes,m An instance I could refer to is all the syndicate people at Flylight and other schools that are not members
                          that we could possibly attract with a monthly payment,
                          The contract of membership would still be the same, One Year, the only differance is that the cost would be spread, A member at the mopment for instance could say be due for renewal in March and the pernit is in Feb, DGet ther permit done and dont renew untill eleven months later.
                          The way I am thinking of is that because a member signs for one year and then renages on further payment then when the permit renewal is due you not only have to pay the back money but would lose the right to have a split membership.
                          Of course not everyone would want to do it but at least have that option.

TV

Comment

Andy Fell wrote: Hardly worth it, is it? If you struggle to pay/budget for the annual BMAA membership cost, you really should be considering if you can afford to fly at all!
                            Its not about whether you can afford to fly Andy, its about havinf a choice, and a a members assoiation we should be doing all we can to retain and gain members not dictate to them.

Comment

Hi all,

I'm sure Terry will be along to clarify shortly but in the meantime:

'"
                              • n".self:rocess_list_items("'.str_replace('
                                ', '', '*The question is about the opportunity to be able to buy a year's membership but to pay for it in instalments.

*There would be an extra cost for doing so (6p per payment? + SO/DD + admin) which would be passed onto the member taking advantage of the instalments method.

*It's a Standing Order/Direct debit, automated 12 instalments gig only.

*There is the potential to retain existing members or get new ones who do not need to be members for a permit but would like to support the BMAA/receive the magazine and for them, 6.30 a month, for example, might be an easier hurdle than 72 a year.').'")."n
                              "'

A bit like the current Road Fund Licence or TV Licence, it's for a year but you can pay for it in instalments. Currently on a large motorcycle Road Fund Licence the cost of the year is 80, and a year via 12 instalments is 84; 12 payments of 7 all arranged at the time when the licence is bought, and automated after that. The extra cost to the payee is 5% of the total cost.

Against that there would be the issue that if ever we got a block 3rd party insurance then this would probably kill off monthly payments. The BHPA looked into it briefly about 15 years ago but the insurance side of things killed it, as the insurance payment has to be made at the beginning of the membership, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                              X