Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how old are flexwing flyers...

Hi all.
    I'm 60 years old and training on a flexwing, having great fun.
    Chatting at a club meeting with a few beers ( not flying the next day ) and age came up thinking I was the oldest, at the club, but no.
    So I'm asking all out there, who is the oldest flexwing flyer out there and there age...we have a sweep stack running.,
    So please reply, there's a nights drinking on this... :burger:

how old are flexwing flyers...

Hello, I believe there is a flex pilot at Otherton airfield somewhere around seventy years young. I think he only got his license about a year ago.

Comment

And fair play to anyone in their 60's flying a flex. I'm 42 and sometimes I feel like my arms are about to drop off when I'm trying to land the thing. Maybe I'm just weak and pathetic!

Comment

64 in March - and I've been flying flexwings since 1972.

Marc - don't know what you are flying but I have very little upper body strength - the ' secret ' to flying is " let the machine fly - its far better at it than you are" if your arms are tired your ' working it too hard'.

Comment

A pall of mine flew a Quik until he was 71

Comment

There are some ancient ones at St Micheal's (near Preston). I don't know exact age but Neil King and Alan Wetherrall got a special certificate at one of the international competitions for having a combined age of about 300.

Laurie (2)

Comment

Paul Wilkinson wrote: 64 in March - and I've been flying flexwings since 1972.

Marc - don't know what you are flying but I have very little upper body strength - the ' secret ' to flying is " let the machine fly - its far better at it than you are" if your arms are tired your ' working it too hard'.
              61 and flying since 1993

Your advice to Marc about letting it go is the soundest; a relaxed but authoritative hold on the bar; trouble doing an hour a week, is I forget this every winter and re-learn it every summer in the thermals, the re-learning period can be a bit of an adrenaline user-upper.

Funnily enough I got trashed on 61st birthday at Church Fenton by flying through a helicopter's wake after an R44 hover taxied across the runway a minute earlier, from inside the deckchair it felt fine, blip of throttle to lift and resettle under proper control, but viewed from the outside it looked a bit alarming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQcLZJIVIb4

Compare that with inside the cockpit at around 4:58 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soC67KMr5lg

Cheers

Kev
              G-KEVA
              BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

64 and since 1979....
                Dave

Comment

Hi All, I have seen a flex wing pilot of 83 years in Cambs area, plus a 72 year old who flies an open top biplane microlight. pete watson

Comment

And I thought I was too old to convert from 3 Axis at 67 years.
                    Steady

Comment

We just need a zimmer - frame Tech Office approval, slipper storage bag and somewhere fireproof to park pipe before departure.

Being high-tone deaf from years of being in front of a 503 or 447, qualify for a hearing-aid according to the Quack, but it doesn't affect daily life at all.

Quite useful in fact, as when SWMBO speaks normally I can hear her clearly, but when she raises voice to high-pitch it's blissfully peaceful...;-)

Cheers

Kev
                      G-KEVA
                      BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Kev Armstrong wrote: ... and somewhere fireproof to park pipe before departure...

Kev
                        I can just see the mod application now. If you worked it right you could have it (safely, Davy lamp style) burning outside the cockpit and drawn via a flexible tube. Enclosed cockpit P&S flyers would, of course, need another tube to blow the used smoke outside the cockpit.

Or maybe an airborne vaping pipe would solve the problem... on a lanyard, of course.

:-)
                        Joan

Comment

When I was a teenager I sailed racing dinghies. You could always tell the skippers who smoked pipes as leach of the polyester mainsail was peppered with little holes.
                          Dave

Comment

Over a 1000 people have looked in, but many flexwing flyers have not voted....come on chaps, put your age group in the survey...please...
                            this is now getting close to closure and the beers are getting warm...someone is going to pay a large beer bill. I hope its not me....

Comment

There are a few flexwingers under 40 you know ;-)

(not me)

Comment

Working...
                              X