pilotaware - a game changer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilotaware - a game changer?

Something quite significant is evolving in the area of collision avoidance and a device that could assist the general lookout and it's all been driven by a BMAA member. I'm not going to cross post the whole thread but it can be followed here:

http://www.microlightforum.com/showt...hat-s-it-worth
    subscribe to Microlight Flying eNews here : http://dm-mailinglist.com/subscribe?f=c4198184

Well, it should be. The units could be very cheap, aware cheap. What is needed is for atc services to use this as an alternative to transponders, thereby giving them conspicuity around localised cas and us our sky back at modest cost and weight penalty.

Comment

Hello all,

The link to the website for the gadget is here http://www.PilotAware.com
      XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

NATS are developing a device that transmits a position using an uncertified GPS chip through a transponder. It is being trialled now. Once the information is transmitted it is then available to receivers to do with what they can. For example give an audio warning or a visual depiction. The aim is to make the cost a no-brainer and indeed if an aircraft has a suitable transponder and a GPS the only thing needed to complete the system is a couple of cables to join them together.

Comment

Great idea.... but still relies on an expensive and presumably "certified" transponder fitment which costs MORE than my complete aircraft:-(

Comment

Or even an electrical system might be a good start!

Considering the breadth of types of aircraft we have in the BMAA, do we know how many microlights are currently fitted with a transponder?

Something simple to alert the military to our presence would be useful up here in Cumbria. Flare launchers have even been considered by some!

Cheers,
            Paul.

Comment

Wally/Paul... you don't need to have a transponder to receive ADS-B using PilotAware.

The system using RaspberryPi computer and a TV receiver USB dongle to decode the transponder "Extended Squitter" transmissions from other aircraft.. Without a transponder on your aircraft, you won't be transmitting ADS-B out... If you only have pilotaware you can receive ADS-B transmitting traffic (even without a transponder)... so you could see other traffic transmitting ADS-B out but they wouldn't see a return on you unless they are also using a pilotaware (with the P3I fitted).

Of course, you need to be using Skydemon or xcsoar to get the data into your GPS system and get it displayed on screen. Pilotware can be run from a battery, it needs 5V (i.e. USB powered). you could stick it under the dash and never look at it again... just connect to it wirelessly with your tablet and the data will display on Skydemon.

There was much discussion on whether supporting ADS-B out as well as P3I was necessary, but came to the conclusion it is best to have both.

Note: it's a no profit making exercise and uses low cost commercially available parts... you can fairly easily put one together yourself in a couple of hours and install the software that Lee has written.. no soldering required! doesn't get better than that! No aviation tax included!

Comment

So my position is transmitted on an open protocol over 25 KM. for about 60. What do I need a 2000 transponder for? Cost is a no brainer. Nats, stop now please, somebody beat you to it with a better idea.

Comment

Well... it's not aviation certified of course :-)

Comment

As an experiment I have been participating in the NATS ADS-B out trial, using the TT21 installed in my Quik, with a Garmin 96C feeding location data into it. (a simple two wire mod)

works well... use MK1 eyeball first of course (no, it's not meant as a substitute!)... but you'd also see me on your skydemon using pilotaware and get a warning if you didn't spot me.

Here's a flight of mine last week going from Fishburn to South Cave to scrounge some fuel from Kev A :-) **This isn't my GPS log**, it's actual data received from my transponder ADS-B out, using a network of ADS-B receivers on the ground... many of which are based on exactly the same electronics as that used in the pilotaware.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/ai...-gtfc/#6a00cba.. (I think this data may expire soon as they don't hold it on record for more than a week or so.)

For some reason they think I'm a Piper PA44!

Attached files

Comment

Which only serves to demonstrate the practicality of Pilotaware.

Comment

It was fascinating to sit in the office and watch Andy scooting down the country, in fact a couple of incoming 'phone calls came in and he caught me out, looked back and found he'd already landed and was texting.

Respect verging on awe, being happy with nuts and bolts but lost on electronics, most achieved is bodging airspace maps onto a motorcycle GPS

Who's installed the network of ADS-B receivers on the ground?

Cheers

Kev
                        G-KEVA
                        BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Andy.. bit late... but I do realise that one can receive ADS-B signals without a transponder.. using Pilot Aware and similar, my comments that one STILL would require a transponder referred to my understanding of Geoff's comments on the NATS potentially "expensive" development.
                          More Power to your elbow..... just hope Pilot Aware eventually gets ported to Android

Comment

Sorry I should have said that NATS are also developing a device to emit the information without the need for a transponder and GPS. This trial is to check validity of uncertified GPS data.

Comment

Indeed.. NATs are doing LPAT, which is similar ... LPAT as far as I understand it is a pseudo transponder, so lower cost than a trig.. It does transmit at 1090MHz I think, but not entirely sure... You don't need a transponder with LPAT... but then you don't need one with pilotaware either.

It's a good device though.. but costs more than 60 (not sure how much exactly) and does mean it's another screen to look at, rather than being integrated into SD.

Comment

Working...
                              X